Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Water pump out....On my 3rd one in 65,000.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Any change of coolant? Your car have factory recommended coolant?
I remember years back that people riding honda goldwings having failures of water pumps and improper coolant was the cause as it ruined the pump.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
That's really strange, something is causing early failures. Most vehicles don't go through one after far more miles than you currently have. All replacements are factory made?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 challenger 5.7 L RT shaker had the water pump go out before 7000 miles! I'm now at 14,000 miles and I'm hearing the noise again! Very frustrating. I'm going to the dealership on Friday.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Wow this sucks. I'm on water pump number 2 at 60K miles. The 5.7 engines have a bad reputation for destroying water pumps but there's no reason to be going through them every 7K miles or 3 at 65K. There's something wrong for sure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow this sucks. I'm on water pump number 2 at 60K miles. The 5.7 engines have a bad reputation for destroying water pumps but there's no reason to be going through them every 7K miles or 3 at 65K. There's something wrong for sure.
Yeah, its called "Dodge Quality"....I'd list all the problems I have had with this Shaker....but It would take to long. The 2010 RT I used to have...wasn't this bad.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's really strange, something is causing early failures. Most vehicles don't go through one after far more miles than you currently have. All replacements are factory made?
All replacements done at Dealership. On ticket, it stated, "Front bearings out, remove and replace. Add Coolant"

Just another example (horrifically insufficient brakes, shaker decal on hood, shaker hood leaking, seal on hoods coming loose....) of poor quality and poor design.

It will eventually catch up with them.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
411 Posts
I know of another 2015 R/T Shaker that has gone through a lot of water pumps as well. Hers is black on black.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I had ~45,000 miles on my '09 R/T when the water pump went out. I traded it at ~51,000 so I don't know how long the new one lasted.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
It has to be out of line the pulleys are binding and wearing the bearings. Do they replace the belt each time?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has to be out of line the pulleys are binding and wearing the bearings. Do they replace the belt each time?
What belt?..... dont know if they do or not....I doubt it. Maybe I'll ask about that next time...which means about 1 year...lol

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Wow!
Water pump issues, timing chain issues, ticking issues, loose intake manifold bolts......you'd think after making the 5.7 for decades DODGE would have it down by now!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sounds like possible block milling issues got away on a few down at the ole ranchero in Mexico...I think we need an MDH number on engine builds as well...idk?...btw I agree on the 2010's, way less problems back in the day, god awful steering wheel though lol

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
What I'm saying is if sighted from the side and also measured the pulleys should all stand from a fixed point exactly the same distance, when the engine is running the belt should be just rolling evenly across all the surfaces. If one is out of alignment the it will it will pull unevenly at another and that one I feel I'd the water pump and the bearing can't endure the stress. Looking at the fan belt it should look more worn on the edge than the middle because if it. A bracket can be bent, a shim needed, something just slightly off but enough to cause this.
Unfortunately most "tech" are just parts replaces and go by what the scan tool says. A true old school mechanic would look for a cause and not just keep replacing a failed part without coming up with a cause.
In the days of social media why not post a message looking to find any any all people with the same issue and trying to narrow down year, engine, mileage etc and see what pans out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am on water pump #2 on my 2016 Scat Pack! It went out at about 32000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I am on water pump #2 on my 2016 Scat Pack! It went out at about 32000 miles.
Since it's on other engines maybe DODGE needs to change the brand of water pumps?

·
Registered
274 Posts
My wife's Jeep GC with the 5.7 needed a new water pump at around 20,000 miles. I kept smelling antifreeze in the garage, but it didn't leak enough to cause a puddle on the floor or anything.
It wasn't noisy either, just the slight leak.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmmm... I've got 21,000 miles now on my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and it seems to be running fine for now.
Is there a particular noise that would indicate the water pump was about to fail... i.e. a bearing "grinding" noise or whine or something?

Or does it just quit working all of a sudden? :surprise:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts