Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 2011 SRT shocks and springs of someone that changed out their suspension, to put on my 2011 R/T and called a local shop to get a quote to install them. They quoted me $675 labor just to install it :notallthere:. I dunno but that seems way high for just labor.
They told me its so much because with challengers you have to uninstall the exhaust to uninstall/install the suspension and they have to use strut compressors on the fronts, plus I would need a full alignment.

Are they just trying to rip me off or is that a normal price to lower a challenger?

Anyone know of any good shops in socal? I tried to call stack but they gone for the week for drift series.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yes they are ripping you off. Unfortunately lots of vendors do that when you have an expensive car. If you brought them a Sebring it would be $250 for the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I paid $300.00 total from a reputable shop....thats too much.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I paid $200 total incl. allignment

·
Registered
406 Posts
$675 is WAY too high. It takes less than 2 hours to do, plus most places here charges $40 for a 4 wheels alignment. It shouldn't be over $200-250. I will do them all day long for that and quit my job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I too am from SoCal and the local speed shop I asked wanted approx $650 to install the SRT shocks, springs and the Stack Performance sway bars I bought on my R/T. I ended up doing the install myself over a weekend and now have an extra $650 in my pocket for other mods. Wish that I could recommend a place to you but keep looking and good luck. By the way I am totally thrilled with the way my R/T now handles and looks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I too am from SoCal and the local speed shop I asked wanted approx $650 to install the SRT shocks, springs and the Stack Performance sway bars I bought on my R/T. I ended up doing the install myself over a weekend and now have an extra $650 in my pocket for other mods. Wish that I could recommend a place to you but keep looking and good luck. By the way I am totally thrilled with the way my R/T now handles and looks.
Eek springs? Those spring compressors have always scared me, heard lots of stories of people dying with them...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not sure where you are in Socal but Preston's in La Mesa (San Diego) did mine, I think it was around $350

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was a little apprehensive doing the springs and was very careful. I had my new air tools from Harbor Freight that I used and it made compressing the spring easy. Just tightened a few turns at a time on each side and it was no sweat. I did loop a 2 foot length of chain through each spring when I took off the spring compressor, just in case something slipped. All was good and I enjoyed doing the install but I'll tell you dropping the rear cradle down working by yourself was an experience. Lot of money was resting on my floor jack while swapping out the rear sway bar. Now I'm ready tackle my brothers R/T suspension upgrade later this summer.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Doh! Seems a bit high. If someone is unfamiliar with this platform, I could see them charging a bit on the high side to help cover time, but I would plan on spending no more than $275-$325.

I bought a set of 2011 SRT shocks and springs of someone that changed out their suspension, to put on my 2011 R/T and called a local shop to get a quote to install them. They quoted me $675 labor just to install it :notallthere:. I dunno but that seems way high for just labor.
They told me its so much because with challengers you have to uninstall the exhaust to uninstall/install the suspension and they have to use strut compressors on the fronts, plus I would need a full alignment.

Are they just trying to rip me off or is that a normal price to lower a challenger?

Anyone know of any good shops in socal? I tried to call stack but they gone for the week for drift series.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure where you are in Socal but Preston's in La Mesa (San Diego) did mine, I think it was around $350
Thanks for that info, I'll be calling them this morning!! I'm in San Diego and was reigning to find a place to install eibach spring front and rear

·
Registered
33 Posts

Come to San Jose ill do it for 200 and. 12pack

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
This is a great topic to flesh out! It never even occurred to me to find out what labor is for a suspension drop, but it would certainly be a pivotal question if I was in those shoes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Great thread. I always assumed $300-$400 including alignment. Sounds like better deals are out there!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm still looking for a reputable place in the NJ/NY/PA/DE area that can do it for less than the $600-650 that I'm being quoted.

·
Registered
263 Posts
NJ sux to get work done. Most shops think they can charge Dealer prices...

·
Registered
413 Posts

I did this myself in my garage. With minimal tools it took me 5 hours and I had to do the back twice. I put the springs upside down oops. Any shop should be able to do this in 4 hours max with a smoke break. You do have to take the rear 2 exhaust hangers loose but you don't have to remove all the exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
$150 per axle ($300) at Speed World, Baldwin NY.....on Sunrise Highway.

They lowered my 2009 RT....and my 2011 GWE 392........NO PROBLEMS.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts