Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the market for a (2015-2016) 392 SRT. I have considered all models but I feel like this is the one for me. I have always been a manual diver and for me automatics are boring- its just I hear such great things about the automatic and I am 50-50 at this point. I will just be using this car for my daily driver in south Florida, but also want to have some fun with it. I plan on upgrading it and customizing it to my liking throughout the next few years. Anyone have some insightful tips that could possibly help me make my decision? My budget is 35k$ if anyone thinks a different model/spec would be better for me. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
What is your daily drive like?

I just went from manual to auto for my daily drive, many traffic bottlenecks in my 90 mile round trip. If you don't deal with that go manual.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 8spd auto is great in traffic and also shifts faster than a human can.
I was a manual transmission guy also, but this auto tranny changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Agreed with the A8. Whatever choice you make will be right for you. Good luck with your final decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
As I always say to this question........."Do you want to shift all the time or not?"

I don't and went with the A8. Totally pleased, and it's anything but boring. The 392/A8 combo is just killer in every way.

Best of luck choosing

·
Registered
72 Posts
It would be manual for me, but that is purely personal preference...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Manual because then you can slide out of a U-Turn, rev it real high, dump the clutch at the end of the slide, and then peel out.

Reactions: VikingOne

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
You can have the best of both worlds with the A8. You can put it in manual mode and wind the shifts out if you'd like to have some fun.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
I have had manuals in 3 of 4 challengers. If you drag race get the automatic, as much
as I love shifting myself I like winning more and the automatics are just faster
in a drag race.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah all good advice- thanks! I think I will sleep on it or possibly flip a coin who knows. At this point either or will be bad ass.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had both and while the A8 is quicker, I enjoy rowing gears more.

Good luck in choosing.
Dittos, I love my 6M but it's not a daily driver. For me, it's similar to riding a motorcycle (I had a big 1700CC Road Star a few years back). Both hands and both feet are involved in riding/driving either. Total involvement and no time or hands for beverages.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would recommend driving both of them before you decide, personally I would take the stick.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
From someone who has had both....manual is more fun. The auto is great in D. There is zero satisfaction with the floppy paddles and a few clicks to shift is like duh....put her back in D. :lol:

As I 've said earlier...a 4.5 0-60 is more satisfying with a stick than a 4.0 in an automatic to me... by 100 times. Still the 8 speed is great compared to any other automatic...its still is an automatic though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Without a doubt...get the M6! I bought an 11 SRT8 with the M6 and never once looked back. In my opinion, on the street, in a performance muscle car, there is no better feeling than banging the gears in a stick.
If you are specifically out to win races, than an auto might be the better choice as it shifts so much faster and consistently. For everything else the M6 wins.

In my case, one of the most frequently asked questions I get from someone looking or asking about it is... "is it a stick?" Proudly I say.."you bet!"

I modified mine with the Barton shifter, then added the Hurst "T" handle. Love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Daily driven manual here, I love it. I've spent months at a time living in Saskatoon for school, and while it's not a huge city, the infrastructure is badly outdated for the population and traffic. Let's just say congestion gets pretty brutal sometimes. Only in those instances did I not love driving the manual, but I still didn't mind. The rest of the time, it's a blast. You don't need an automatic for daily driving. You want an automatic if you just don't want to shift yourself. That's really what it boils down to.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,366 Posts
FWIW, the auto comes with cylinder deactivation, the manual does not. You'll find yourself cruising around town on four cylinders when you're just cruising steady speed. This grants you a little extra mileage, if that matters. It also introduces a slight vibration under light acceleration. Push the pedal down about 1/4 inch and it kicks back into 8 cylinder, and of course, the vibration disappears. This vibration is more prevalent around 30-50 than it is at higher speeds. Doesn't bother me, but you need to know.
Ask the forum if you get the same differential with both trannies. This might be a Scat Pack thing.
The technology group, which gets you some nice features, costs more on the auto than it does on the manual. Not sure if adapttive cruise is available with the manual. I'm thinking it's not.
You said your budget was 35k. You're going to have a hard time finding a low mileage '15 plus SRT for that kind of money. Beware of lease returns and rebuilt titles in that below 36 price range. I got my 15 SRT392 w/adaptive cruise and 16k miles for 36k just 2 months ago. But I stole it. Prices like this were few and far between back in June.

One fella commented that he hated the paddle shifters. I respect that. However, I just love them. Plus the computer won't allow me to downshift too far too quick and over rev the engine. Nice safety feature.

A manual trannie: another thought, for me anyway, aside from the obvious fun of banging gears with a manual, is that often times, I've got a burger in one hand, or I'm doodling with something. I appreciate the auto at times. Stop and go: no contest. Another thought is that occasionally I let somebody else drive the car. Typically, they NEED an auto. This may be a good thing or a bad thing. Folks won't ask to drive a manual if they can't handle it. But I love the advicce given earlier. Drive both of them. Bottom line: ya don't want to regret your decision because ya got the wrong one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
There is zero satisfaction with the floppy paddles and a few clicks to shift is like duh....put her back in D. :lol:
When I see people say the paddles are as good as a manual I just assume they have never driven a manual before. (no offense to anyone, to each their own)

As long as your daily drive does not include sitting in traffic, I would go manual. I had both, prefer manual but too much traffic so A8. Its a great auto for sure, and I have no regrets but nothing beats rowing.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,366 Posts
I modified mine with the Barton shifter, then added the Hurst "T" handle. Love it!
That was my favorite shift handle of all time. If I had a manual, I'd have the same set up. Funny I don't see many of them any more. I see all kinds of custom shifters, but none of them scream retro like that one does. Nice work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts