Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the A8 and I love it. However I have noticed a number of folks that really love to stick shift will miss it with any automatic. I would test drive each and decide from there. Seems like you might be best satisfied with a stick shift. Tons of fun to be had with either option though!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
If you have always enjoyed a stick, get the M6. I have mostly had manuals in my Muscle Cars and then got an A8 Scat Pack after owning a couple of M6 Challengers. Just went back to an M6 Challenger... Every time I drive the manual car I smile.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,077 Posts
Manual because then you can slide out of a U-Turn, rev it real high, dump the clutch at the end of the slide, and then peel out.
You had your answer on page one, lol >:)

A Guy

Reactions: VikingOne

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here's my perspective on this:

I test drove both when I got my SPS. I felt that the clutch on the M6 isn't the easiest to drive, having a short travel and being quite heavy too. I'm no expert at driving manual, I've had a manual car before for a year and thoroughly enjoyed it but I felt that one would have to be awesome at driving manual to fully take advantage of the potential of the 392 power or get consistent 0-60 times, etc. That said there is no doubt in my mind that there are enough people on CT who are more than capable to make the 392 sing to their tune at every shift with the M6 .

The A8 however, is a lot 'easier' to enjoy and I felt that even someone like myself who isn't an expert at driving manual would quickly be able to take advantage of the potential of the engine. The transmission shifts very quickly and in sports mode the car is as responsive as you would like. Paddle shifter action is fantastic too as the transmission will shift immediately when you hit the paddle, giving an almost sports car like dual clutch feel. They're great for the situations when you want the car to be 100% predictable.

Ultimately I went with the A8 cause I felt I wouldn't be able to drive the car the way it was meant to be driven given my manual driving skill level but I can see why many would go with the M6.

Yes, the A8 does get a little better gas mileage with MDS, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor when getting a V8 muscle car ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also switched to A8

I'm on my third Challenger. The first 2 were M6s. A lot of fun and really connects you with driving. As others have mentioned, heavy traffic and hills can wear on you with a manual. And, unless they've fixed it, the M6s I owned seemed a bit sensitive. But, I got a good deal on an A8 and am really loving it. Only complaint is that with 8 gears it seems to be always hunting for the right gear when driving though town. But talk about low end torque - nice!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm on my third Challenger. The first 2 were M6s. A lot of fun and really connects you with driving. As others have mentioned, heavy traffic and hills can wear on you with a manual. And, unless they've fixed it, the M6s I owned seemed a bit sensitive. But, I got a good deal on an A8 and am really loving it. Only complaint is that with 8 gears it seems to be always hunting for the right gear when driving though town. But talk about low end torque - nice!
First and second gear were pretty jumpy on my 5.7, I can only imagine what its like on the more powerful engines. Still a nice feeling though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I first test drove my 2016 I was actually wanting the A8 because my last manual was an old 4cyl saturn and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it. All they had was the M6 so I said what the heck ill see how I do. I was surprised at the relative ease of the M6 and after a 5-10 miles stopping, starting and brisk acceration I didn't need the automatic anymore and left the lot with it. I only have a 7 mile commute so that wasn't a consideration but I know that can be a big factor and I would have most likely waited for an automatic if that was the case.
I will say that, depending on your driving habits, the M6 can be touchy if you like to power shift and has caused me to grind a few times but I believe this can be alleviated by doing a CDV(clutch delay valve) delete. Something that's on my to do list still.
I love the manual though and have zero regrets!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I just got a Scat Pack Shaker with the M6 and love it, had a 2010 R/T with the A5 for 7 years and was really tired of the auto, before that had a GTO with a M6. Installing a Barton shifter tomorrow, so I'll probably love the M6 even more.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
They're both great transmissions. Each has their pros and cons. I would drive one of each and see which one really speaks to you more.

A8 - faster shifts, faster at the dragstrip, shifts great on the street, not as connected to the car
M6 - better connection with the car, more fun to drive, slower at the track

I had an M6 in my 2010 R/T and have an A8 now in my Scat Pack. Love both of them. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
805 Posts
They're both great transmissions. Each has their pros and cons.

A8 - faster shifts, faster at the dragstrip, shifts great on the street, not as connected to the car
M6 - better connection with the car, more fun to drive, slower at the track
AGREED

I have a 2015 SRT392 w/A8.
Hands down, the Best Performance Automatic I have ever driven. (Especially in TRACK mode)
Lightning fast shifts, no slip, just BANG,BANG,BANG!

That said, I still miss a manual trans:crying:
With a Muscle car/ Sports car, something is lost in translation w/the automatic. Its still cool and very fast, but something is missing from the experience.
With a stick, its more about how the driving/shifting involvement makes YOU FEEL, rather than how quick or fast the car can go.

Reactions: billzsrt392

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,367 Posts
AGREED

I have a 2015 SRT392 w/A8.
Hands down, the Best Performance Automatic I have ever driven. (Especially in TRACK mode)
Lightning fast shifts, no slip, just BANG,BANG,BANG!

That said, I still miss a manual trans:crying:
With a Muscle car/ Sports car, something is lost in translation w/the automatic. Its still cool and very fast, but something is missing from the experience.
With a stick, its more about how the driving/shifting involvement makes YOU FEEL, rather than how quick or fast the car can go.
This pretty much sums it up. Great post.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Back in early 2013, I bought a Jazz Blue R/T with an automatic transmission. I had bought all my cars with autos over the last 27 years because my wife doesn't know how to drive the M6. I never really cared and didn't give it any thought. My brother had always been the opposite and bought only stick shift cars. He had tried to talk me into buying manuals and I gave him the old argument about the paddles, etc gave me the same thing as a stick if I wanted it. I never dreamed how wrong I was.

Here's a long story...

So, I drove my shiny new pride & joy muscle car into a burger joint, all proud and happy and feeling pretty smug because I had never owned a car that I was so proud of. I walked inside and this pretty little girl behind the counter, quite tiny, excitedly told me how awesome my car was. She was going on about how much she loves muscle cars, and that color! Then she said "I'll bet you love changing them gears! It's a stick shift, right?" Well, I said, "no, it's an automatic." All her excitement just drained away and she said "Oh no! It's a muscle car! It has to have a stick shift. My dad taught me to drive a stick shift before I was old enough to drive and I thought all muscle cars had sticks."

Well, my brother ragged me about that for a long time and told me "that little girl can out drive you."
The day came around for me to tae and Told my wife that she would just have to drive her own car because my next car will be a manual. Traded for the SP...M6. Never been happier with a car in all my years.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Back in early 2013, I bought a Jazz Blue R/T with an automatic transmission. I had bought all my cars with autos over the last 27 years because my wife doesn't know how to drive the M6. I never really cared and didn't give it any thought. My brother had always been the opposite and bought only stick shift cars. He had tried to talk me into buying manuals and I gave him the old argument about the paddles, etc gave me the same thing as a stick if I wanted it. I never dreamed how wrong I was.

Here's a long story...

So, I drove my shiny new pride & joy muscle car into a burger joint, all proud and happy and feeling pretty smug because I had never owned a car that I was so proud of. I walked inside and this pretty little girl behind the counter, quite tiny, excitedly told me how awesome my car was. She was going on about how much she loves muscle cars, and that color! Then she said "I'll bet you love changing them gears! It's a stick shift, right?" Well, I said, "no, it's an automatic." All her excitement just drained away and she said "Oh no! It's a muscle car! It has to have a stick shift. My dad taught me to drive a stick shift before I was old enough to drive and I thought all muscle cars had sticks."

Well, my brother ragged me about that for a long time and told me "that little girl can out drive you."
The day came around for me to tae and Told my wife that she would just have to drive her own car because my next car will be a manual. Traded for the SP...M6. Never been happier with a car in all my years.
When you spend 40k+ of your hard earned money on something you'd better make sure you get what YOU like and not what others say about it. Who cares about what others say about your purchase as long as it makes YOU happy? After all you bought it for YOURSELF and not for what others say about it. Seems like you enjoy driving the M6 though, so that's great :wink3:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever choice you make.

For me, a muscle car has 3 pedals, end of story. You are an integral part of the machine when you have a manual transmission, there's no guessing when it's going to shift, it will shift when you shift it. It's a big part of what makes driving fun for me. I have the "lowly" 5.7(I hate that designation) it's a 345ci, but the torque and hp are more than enough for the street and with the 3.92 rear I can have a blast grabbing gears up to 4th and still only be doing 40mph. With nice sounding pipes, heads turn when I leave every stop sign/light. :)

You're making a very personal choice, drive 'em both and make up your own mind. What makes me happy, might make you miserable. Just be sure to drive the crap out of which ever one you get, none of them are any fun sitting in the garage and they are never going to be a collector item.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Maybe it's Dodge's way of making those of us who prefer a manual transmission, to spend a bit more money and buy a 5.7 or higher, but I think it'd be cool if you could buy a Challenger V6 with a manual. Not that I'd buy one, but I'm sure there are those who can't buy an R/T for $$$ reasons, that'd love shifting gears. Hell, I'm betting there are Charger owners who'd love an M6. But that's just the way it is.

I get tired of hearing the moaning from either side about "Which is better?" One idiot on YouTube blasted me, and all I said was that I prefer a manual. He went off about every high end performance car having an automatic and Formula 1's have paddle shifters....blah, blah, blah. He also added that I was no doubt an old "Redneck (explitive)" that enjoyed "Doing it" with my sister. So much for expecting an intelligent reply from anyone on YouTube.

As much as I love the manual, there are two main reasons why I wouldn't recommend owning one: 1) If you live in an area with lots of traffic and this is going to be your daily driver, go automatic. If it's just for making some noise on the weekend or you live in an area with little traffic, get the manual. 2a) Be totally honest with yourself on this one...If you suck at driving a stick, and you know who you are, get the automatic. Sure, driving one all the time will improve your skills at doing so, but there are some who just never "get it". And, (2b) if you have doubts about getting a manual because you feel intimidated by it. Don't do it.

Someone above said, something like, "If you're going to pay $40,000 for a car, you'd better get what YOU want. Not what someone else wants." I couldn't agree with them more. You have to be honest with yourself. I barely remember the cars that I've owned that had automatics, but fondly remember every manual. That's me. You be you, be honest with yourself and get what YOU REALLY want.

Reactions: sctm81

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,077 Posts
How long does the clutch last, generally? I'd think that would be another issue to consider, a guaranteed cost at some point. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,367 Posts
Guy:
Good point.
However, the same could be said for an automatic. For someone who drives conservatively, a clutch will outlast an automatic. But then ya gotta ask, how much is it to rebuild an automatic?
But for most, the clutch will become an issue before needing to rebuild an automatic. And for some, it will happen before 50k miles.
But one encouraging thing to note: the average backyard mechanic can rebuild a clutch. Not so with the automatic. I don't know anybody that can do that. So rebuilding a clutch is actually affordable; ha, it would definitely cost less than rebuilding the front brakes on my SRT.

·
Registered
814 Posts
So I am in the market for a (2015-2016) 392 SRT. I have considered all models but I feel like this is the one for me. I have always been a manual diver and for me automatics are boring- its just I hear such great things about the automatic and I am 50-50 at this point. I will just be using this car for my daily driver in south Florida, but also want to have some fun with it. I plan on upgrading it and customizing it to my liking throughout the next few years. Anyone have some insightful tips that could possibly help me make my decision? My budget is 35k$ if anyone thinks a different model/spec would be better for me. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!
I lived in Miami for 19 years, just went back there for holiday last month. I wouldn't want a manual in that traffic.

My 5.7 was a manual because I also thought "ohh, muscle car needs manual stick shift!" and it was fun, specially inside tunnels or parking garages (yes, I enjoy my loud engine) BUT when it came time to upgrade to my TA 392, I tested the A8 and it is a fantastic transmission. The gears change smoothly and if you ever think about racing, even for your own personal time records, you can't beat the A8.

Also, since the A8 didn't charge me Gas Guzzler tax here in Texas, the upgrade was only $400.

My advice is to go test drive both sets, A8 and M6 and you'll be able to decide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I've had four R/Ts since 2010. Three were 6-speed and one the auto. The auto bored me to death. Never could get the hang of the paddles because my left leg kept wanting to do something. I've had many manuals in the past 4 1/2 decades and I liked the benefits with the 6-speed Challengers; lower price (negated by the guzzler tax on the 6.4), better exhaust (don't know if that's true with the 2015 up), BIG plus, no MDS, and I've always gotten better mileage with manuals then autos and that was true of the Challenger too, and the manuals came with limited slip diff. My Ram R/T has the 8 speed and it is a great trans but of course the MDS boggs it down. I wanted another Challenger last year and because my employment was iffy, I decided to go with the 3.6 and see what that was like. It is a great car, a completely different experience and purpose then the V8s but still a worthy fun car. The 8 speed works particularly well with it. Very smooth. I still finding myself wishing it had a manual. I'll be retiring in three months and next year I plan on getting a B5 R/T. It will be a manual. Like others have said, the possible gain a 3/10ths of a second on the street with the auto does not beat the pure fun of the manual.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts