Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,078 Posts
Guy:
Good point.
However, the same could be said for an automatic. For someone who drives conservatively, a clutch will outlast an automatic. But then ya gotta ask, how much is it to rebuild an automatic?
But for most, the clutch will become an issue before needing to rebuild an automatic. And for some, it will happen before 50k miles.
But one encouraging thing to note: the average backyard mechanic can rebuild a clutch. Not so with the automatic. I don't know anybody that can do that. So rebuilding a clutch is actually affordable; ha, it would definitely cost less than rebuilding the front brakes on my SRT.
Personally, and I'm talking normal cars, people I have known with a manual, all needed a clutch at some point. People with automatics, a few might have needed a repair repair. Like any random mechanical breakdown number. But certainly not like the automatics were anywhere near an guaranteed repair. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,367 Posts
Personally, and I'm talking normal cars, people I have known with a manual, all needed a clutch at some point. People with automatics, a few might have needed a repair, like any random mechanical breakdown number. But it's certainly not like the automatics were anywhere near a guaranteed repair. A Guy
By normal cars, I'm guessing you're referring to the non-performance variety. Seems like they're becoming a smaller percentage of overall manuals that I see (in the last 25 years or so). Very few people in my world are opting for a diet of manual trannies. The performance crowd, of course, is a different story. Lot more guys aiming for manuals.

That said, it would only stand to reason that the performance crowd would indeed be eating up clutches prematurely. It's just the way they tend to drive. But it's been my experience that clutches in non performance cars tend to go just about as long as autos: time for some R 'n R between 120 and 150k on the clock. And when that time comes, the cost cannot be compared.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts