Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scat Pack 6.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried clutchless shifting at the track yet? Not sure if I want to try it or not. Could end up with an expensive repair.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama.
IMO, this is ill advised. Pretty sure you will at least damage the synchros.
Would never attempt in my M6 Scat.

Reactions: ugly_dan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not for the faint of heart anyways. I see no reason to do clutchless shifting unless your clutch blew out anyways.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I ask why. So you can get a .2 quicker ET?

Reactions: Dodgenovice

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed
55 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I'm an over the road truck driver (manual) and race motorcycles and the car is actually my only vehicle I do clutch shift on. I take my car to a road course and running a barton shifter, amsoil atf (previously royal purple synchromax) and clutch delay valve delete clutch shifting is pretty spot on.

On a vehicle with synchros I'd recommend staying away from floating the gears. It's extremely hard on them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I ask why. So you can get a .2 quicker ET?
100% answer. These threads in pursuit of a humanly imperceptible "gain" at the costs involved routinely crack me up. Often involving a large % of the value of the car in various mods, or doing things that risk the actual safe performance of the vehicle.

I wonder, is this was a large % of people sit around and think about seemingly non-stop; how can I shave .00001 seconds off my times??

One would probably be better just doing to muscle reflex exercises to get quicker reflects. Think "Bruce Lee" type stuff, and get faster.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless you have a fully built race trans in there. Even the guys that do tear those up doing it from time to time. The stock shift forks and synchros won't handle it for long.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I'm an over the road truck driver (manual) and race motorcycles and the car is actually my only vehicle I do clutch shift on. I take my car to a road course and running a barton shifter, amsoil atf (previously royal purple synchromax) and clutch delay valve delete clutch shifting is pretty spot on.

On a vehicle with synchros I'd recommend staying away from floating the gears. It's extremely hard on them.
"clutch delay valve delete"
Is this a mod you would recommend?
Considering it but not sure if it's worth it.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed
55 Posts
"clutch delay valve delete"
Is this a mod you would recommend?
Considering it but not sure if it's worth it.
I would recommend it. It makes your clutch release and engagement more linear and speeds it up. With the clutch releasing faster both taking it out of the previous gear and getting it into the next gear are a good amount smoother. From what others have said (and the only rational explanation in my mind) is dodge put it there to design a little bit of clutch slippage to take some shock off the drivetrain so they aren't paying out on warranty due to people abusing their cars. People redlining then dumping the clutch and such. Since a clutch is a wear part, any additional clutch wear is a source of profit for them not a liability.

Edit: I did it at the same time as my skip shift eliminator. Did both during an oil change and took about 5 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts