Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading my shifter. If you've done this I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences.

Frankly, I don't care for the pistol grip and would like more of a "click click" feel.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my shifter. If you've done this I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences.

Frankly, I don't care for the pistol grip and would like more of a "click click" feel.

Thanks in advance
I think it's really no surprise that I have been talking up Barton Industries for the past year I'd say. They will be coming out with a shifter within weeks and I know it's going to exceed expectations. It's made in America and it's also made by a guy who has a passion for cars.

I've had the Hurst, and it's well below average compared to companies like MGW or Barton. Hurst sold out and their items are made in China. The thing is noisy as heck and it takes an arm and a leg to just try to silence it. Also there have been some instances of people breaking their shifter or having the o-rings in the shaft blow out.

I would wait for Barton but that's just me.

If you just want a shorter throw but nothing drastic you should look at the Mopar shift handle. It is NOT a short throw shifter but rather a shorter handle which many enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read through most of the threads regarding the Hurst shifter and I'm not loving what I see. I like what I see from Barton, but I'll hang loose until the get past the first run.

I don't like being an "early adopter".

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have a Hurst Billet Plus with a semi custom Gunslinger Pistol Grip.(Gunslinger did excellent job) When I purchased my Challenger Feb'09. I think the only aftermarket shifter available was Hurst. I've had no problems, but some people did. I don't drive my Challenger very often. (13000 miles) The shifter is a little buzzy which can be fixed with a piece of Dynamat placed in between the shifter handle and the body, where they are bolted together. I didn't do the fix since Hurst sent me the piece after I installed the shifter.(a year later) I really don't think Hurst cared about the problems until all the postings on message boards. I don't know if Hurst made any changes in manufacturing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I installed the Hurst and I love it. It's not too noisy at all and I didn't do any sound deadening though I did use the OEM doohickey at the back of the shifter rather than the red nylon (or whatever material it is) at the advice of several on this board. The shifts are way shorter, way more precise, snick, snick, and the Hurst shaft and white ball looks great. I did buy the old school pistol grip and handle from Hurst but I took it off after a few months and returned it back to the straight shaft and white ball. I just thought the pistol grip shaft was too tall (a common complaint from others). I heard that you can drill out another hole higher up the shaft to make the shift handle shorter but I don't have a tool that can drill that material plus, again, I really like the white ball, short shaft look. Of all the mods I've done I'd have to say that the Hurst short shifter is the best - biggest impact on the driveability and performance.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i have the Hurst with "Larry's Mod" (search it out for explanation) and that has taken 2 years of abuse so far with no hiccups. makes the sloppy stock hurst very "click-click" like you want. you KNOW when you are in gear and shifting during racing situations is a breeze. have yet to miss a shift yet.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If you just want a shorter throw but nothing drastic you should look at the Mopar shift handle. It is NOT a short throw shifter but rather a shorter handle which many enjoy.
Yeah, this relatively simple & inexpensive mod does make a big difference. It's NOT changing the mechanism at all, but since the shifter itself is considerably shorter than the stock shifter, the throws SEEM much shorter. It looks great, and having a ball rather than a pistol-grip style shifter works/feels far better in terms of ergonomics IMO.

The only minor dislike for me is that, since the ball is aluminum, it's cold as ice when ambient temps fall below 40s, and I'm sure it'll be hotter than hell when ambient temps rise up above 80s. I'm guessing that the white Hurst ball doesn't have such severe surface-temp swings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts