Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I picked up a new Scat Pack and for the most part absolutely love it. We found one locally luckily that was fully loaded and in Pitch Black so we grabbed it up quick =)

I have experienced two issues so far though One being cosmetic (driver side seat bolster problem) and the other being mechanical with the Tremec 6MT refusing to go into 2nd gear. I've had notchy transmissions so this isn't new to me, but it literally locks me out, forcing me to go to third or fourth. I've always been careful to never force anything while driving all my cars to avoid grinding a gear (which I haven't). This happens while cruising to, this isn't a complaint of the 2nd gear not going in during WOT shifts.

Anyone else experienced similar issues with their 6MT? Any thoughts or tips appreciated. I'm waiting to get an appointment for the dealer but this is one of those intermittent issues that will probably return from the service department with "Could not duplicate."

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is by design, supposedly to get average fuel economy higher.

Your car is not broken. All of us 6 speeders experience this. Most of us install a "skip shift eliminator". SSE is just a resistor you plug in to the wiring that fools the computer into thinking the 2nd gear lockout is working when you have it unplugged.

Requires raising the car and locating the 2nd gear lockout solenoid and plugging in the SSE.

Vendors on this site sell them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, congrats on the Scat Pack it is beautiful!

I used to get bit by the 2nd gear lockout pretty consistently on left turns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is by design, supposedly to get average fuel economy higher.

Your car is not broken. All of us 6 speeders experience this. Most of us install a "skip shift eliminator". SSE is just a resistor you plug in to the wiring that fools the computer into thinking the 2nd gear lockout is working when you have it unplugged.

Requires raising the car and locating the 2nd gear lockout solenoid and plugging in the SSE.

Vendors on this site sell them.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Does this solve the occasional bump over to third or fourth from first gear? I'm guessing Dodge would try and void your trans-warranty if they saw this work-around?

I came from a Evolution X with a Stage 3 setup. The 5 speed in the GSR model is notchy as well so I know sometimes this is the nature of the beast. I do want to confirm though that others are seeing this and I'm not ignoring something that might bite me harder down the road if not addressed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks! Low quality cell phone pick the day I picked it up. I'm hoping to get some actual nice HD shots this weekend. I'm loving the black on black on black look =) I don't think anything on the market compares with the performance, look or fit and finish on these Scat Packs. I've never got anything with completely optioned out so I'm really enjoying it. :thumbsup:

If I can figure out how to tame this 2nd gear gremlin without making the dealership folk angry, I'll be good to go :grin2: That's interesting you have noticed this on left turns...I wonder why it's more prevalent here.

·
Registered
14,951 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The forced shift to 4th is part of a fuel economy device call skip-shift. If you wind out 1st to exactly 20 mph at light throttle and then attempt to shift it will force you to 4th. You can buy an eliminator plug to make it go away. See this thread.

Skip-Shift Eliminator (6-speed) In Stock at Speedlogix - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks guys! So glad the Tremec TR6060 is not at fault. I love the shifter minus this feature. The 8speed is impressive but for me you can't be the experience you get with a solid manual. I"ll get that harness soon for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Scat_Pack_15,

The skip shift eliminator is about $20. What you do is to remove the skip shift plug on the side of the transmission and plug it into the eliminator. Then plug the other end of the eliminator into the side of the transmission. Very simple.

All the eliminator is, is a resistor that tricks the computer into sensing a load similar to the skip shift solenoid. And it is packaged in a ~5 inch harness with factory plugs and looks stock.

I had one on my 2009 R/T and have one on my 2015 R/T Scat Pack.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scat_Pack_15,

The skip shift eliminator is about $20. What you do is to remove the skip shift plug on the side of the transmission and plug it into the eliminator. Then plug the other end of the eliminator into the side of the transmission. Very simple.

All the eliminator is, is a resistor that tricks the computer into sensing a load similar to the skip shift solenoid. And it is packaged in a ~5 inch harness with factory plugs and looks stock.

Sounds easy and like a must have for every 6MT owner :grin2: Thanks for the install info!

·
Super Moderator
16,096 Posts
The skip-shift solenoid is on the driver's side - above the cross-member support.

There's another solenoid at the rear (parallel to case) by the shifter - that's the reverse inhibitor solenoid (has same connector and appearance) - don't touch that one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scat_Pack_15,

How are you liking the HC air box mod btw? Good gains?

I was curious if anyone has done a back-to-back dyno session to show if you lose power with a resonator or muffler delete? I absolutely love the exhaust note (probably the sickest sounding one I've heard in stock form from the factory) but would consider a simple res or muffler delete if power wasn't lost for even more growl >:)

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I like the HC airbox mod, but I didn't do it for any gain. I just did it because I think it is cool (no pun intended). I couldn't care less if the air entering the filter is cooler or not. I didn't feel any gain and doubt anyone could feel any gain with such a mod. I remember somebody from SRT wrote that the headlight intake gave the Hellcat a couple HP gain, but that is with a supercharged engine, and probably only at maximum RPM.

I removed the plug on the passenger side too so both "headlights" look the same from the front. I installed a rubber 90* elbow on the passenger side so any air entering that side just dumps into the lower engine bay. The passenger side didn't "look the same" before I installed the elbow because you could see "stuff" in the engine compartment if you looked closely.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

Generally not recommended to shift in a turn. If you're using little enough throttle to activate skip shift you'll be better off to leave it in 1st and shift after you're on the straight.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Generally not recommended to shift in a turn. If you're using little enough throttle to activate skip shift you'll be better off to leave it in 1st and shift after you're on the straight.
I generally shift right as i straighten up after the turn, just seems like that often lines up with the narrow window of throttle and speed that triggers 2nd gear lockout.

·
Registered
Scat Pack
132 Posts
Ha! Here my brother was making fun of my driving... turns out it's a "feature!"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha! Here my brother was making fun of my driving... turns out it's a "feature!"
LOL, it's nice to know it's "not you" or your transmission acting up right =) Now that I know it activates around 19-20mph and triggers upon throttle position, I either skip to third myself or just shift before I hit 19mph. It's easy to work around once you know the factors involved. Even so, I just got the harness in that disables this "feature" by simply plugging the adapter in. Aside from that stock gimmick, it's a fantastic 6speed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I generally shift right as i straighten up after the turn, just seems like that often lines up with the narrow window of throttle and speed that triggers 2nd gear lockout.
I have had 5 Challengers with manual transmission. Put a skip shift eliminator on every one. I usually do a full disable of traction and stability control and then shift mid way through a turn. From then on I steer with the throttle until I complete the turn! LOL

Now I have an A8 transmission. Come to think of it, I do the same thing with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts