Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice a low-pitch drone in 6th gear?
Sounds almost like tire noise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got my car two days ago and noticed it today on a 600 mile road trip. Seems to do it at 1500 rpm or so, cruising at around 70 mph. Sounds like it is coming from the right front.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I can hear some faint rear differential gear whine on throttle let-off in the higher gears, but that is pretty normal for a heavy duty diff.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its generally 1500 to 1700 cruising at 70 mph. That's the whole point of that gear so I don't think its rough on the car
Exactly!
Rough would be if you go WOT from a low speed in 6th.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The point of a 6th gear is so the car can do 180 MPH! Once again, you guys are putting alot of strain on the engine and drivetrain if your shifting into 6th at 70 MPH

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The point of a 6th gear is so the car can do 180 MPH! Once again, you guys are putting alot of strain on the engine and drivetrain if your shifting into 6th at 70 MPH
You obviously know more than the manufacturer, since according to the Owner's Manual, Recommended Shift Speed 5-6 is 48mph.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You obviously know more than the manufacturer, since according to the Owner's Manual, Recommended Shift Speed 5-6 is 48mph.
Don't make me laugh, I'm giving you REAL WORLD advice! I have no reason to want you to think the car is one thing when really it's another(like the manufacturer, when it comes to things like money and emissions).
Example: Dodge says the engine makes 470HP, in the REAL WORLD, the engine makes around 530HP!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't make me laugh, I'm giving you REAL WORLD advice! I have no reason to want you to think the car is one thing when really it's another(like the manufacturer, when it comes to things like money and emissions).
Example: Dodge says the engine makes 470HP, in the REAL WORLD, the engine makes around 530HP!
Humor me....and I'll make you laugh again....
how exactly did you come to the HP conclusion??

·
Registered
124 Posts
He's talking about the likelihood of the hemi engine being slightly underrated. In most of the press cars, when they are put on the dyno, they put more horsepower to the wheels than a car would if it had 470hp at the crank. Same thing with the 5.7. Completely different scenario than shift points. Dodge underrates horsepower, people are happy. Dodge lies about shift points, all of the sudden they are liable to replace every drivetrain out there.

That said, he's completely incorrect about 6th gear. If you listen, you can hear the engine lug at 1300 rpm or so, but with 410 ft/lb torque, there is no problem cruising at highway speed. Again, thats why that gear is there. There is no point in arguing with someone who doesn't seem to understand how to drive a MT car though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts