Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I still enjoy the old girl but the list of repairs keeps growing. My warranty is 96 months/120k so the end of that is at hand. What issues have y'all had??

Here are mine in order.....

(1) MDS oil solenoid
(2) Timing chain failure, new heads, etc...
(3) Body control module for key fob issue
(4) Headliner TSB - two times
(5) Timing chain recall
(6) Air bag recall
(7) Bad instrument cluster -original plus 5 more
(8) Gas tank assy ** in the shop now **

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
5 years, 58K on her and I've had:
An alternator
A water pump
A rear diff (my fault)
A clutch (my fault)

Both the clutch and rear end were from taking it to the strip. The alternator was a *****. It left me stranded on the side of the road in rush hour. If it wasn't for the people loitering and drinking beer in the parking lot of the gas station on the corner of where I was, I would still be there. They pushed me out of the intersection! WOOHOO! Still sucked though.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
I still enjoy the old girl but the list of repairs keeps growing. My warranty is 96 months/120k so the end of that is at hand. What issues have y'all had??

Here are mine in order.....

(1) MDS oil solenoid
(2) Timing chain failure, new heads, etc...
(3) Body control module for key fob issue
(4) Headliner TSB - two times
(5) Timing chain recall
(6) Air bag recall
(7) Bad instrument cluster -original plus 5 more
(8) Gas tank assy ** in the shop now **
Wow: you're scaring me dude. I've got 600 miles on my SRT. Hoping you're an extremely rare case because that's a nasty list of stuff.

·
Registered
489 Posts
no need to be scared. a lot of that is typical car age stuff or just recalls. which aren't a bad thing.

the scary things on that list are from the original MDS components. they were made of plastic and the timing chain would eat them and fail. catastrophically. they've all been recalled and they're supposed to all be aluminum now. no more troubles.

all the same... my last 2 challengers have been manual... just to avoid the MDS. i'm not a fan.

·
Super Moderator
15,435 Posts
Wow: you're scaring me dude. I've got 600 miles on my SRT. Hoping you're an extremely rare case because that's a nasty list of stuff.
The 5.7 timing chain guide was the major culprit for the 5.7/ A5 that was redesigned by MY '13. Guide would break, and timing chain would jump and break.

This similar setup was used on the '11 - '12 SRT engines, but didn't hear of any issues with the 6.4 / A5 setups.

From '14 onward the timing chain guide was aluminum base w/ nylon overlay and doesn't break like the all-plastic versions used in earlier years.

However, the OPs multiple IP cluster failures (EL sheet dies) would have driven me nuts...he got warranty work several times over what that policy cost. Good move on his part.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I had 4 1/2 years and 42k (s)miles on my '10 before it got flood totaled.

Climate Control Module and fuel sending unit failed, along with inside window trim. All warranty covered.
Got the P01 done before a failure.

Not bad for running it HARD with proper service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
no need to be scared. a lot of that is typical car age stuff or just recalls. which aren't a bad thing.

the scary things on that list are from the original MDS components. they were made of plastic and the timing chain would eat them and fail. catastrophically. they've all been recalled and they're supposed to all be aluminum now. no more troubles.

all the same... my last 2 challengers have been manual... just to avoid the MDS. i'm not a fan.
+1 for antiMDS.. Great idea, poor design.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Actually the upgraded TC tensioner is not all AL, as it has an engineered plastic facing that contacts the chain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MDS is a great idea and a great design from Mercedes Benz. My '09 R/T's MDSs works beautifully and I get 30 mpg hwy. Where did you get your information on this sophisticated technology from?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The Challengers have gotten better and better over the years. The Cerberus years were really bad and nearly put the final nail in the coffin for Chrysler.

Like it or not, Fiat has really improved the Challenger. I've heard of very few issues with the 2015+ Challengers and the powertrain is essentially bullet proof when left near stock.

You could probably make 500 passes on a stock Scat Pack and not break anything.

If you have a later year model, you have nothing to fear and actually have one of the more reliable cars on the road.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
MDS is a great idea and a great design from Mercedes Benz. My '09 R/T's MDSs works beautifully and I get 30 mpg hwy. Where did you get your information on this sophisticated technology from?
The design works; however the components used are not the best. The lifters have been prone to failure, as have the solenoids.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 09 R/T's lifters are operating perfectly. Frankly, I prefer the Daimler years model Challengers as mine runs mint literally. I take care of mine meticulously, however.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My 09 R/T's lifters are operating perfectly. Frankly, I prefer the Daimler years model Challengers as mine runs mint literally. I take care of mine meticulously, however.
No Challenger was produced during the Daimler era. Cerberus took control in mid 2007.

Now, initial Challenger R&D occurred under Daimler, but production for the 2008 SRT commenced in May 2008 under Cerberus.

Also, Mercedes makes some nice vehicles; however German vehicles have never had an exceptional track record for quality. You never keep a BMW past the warranty period. The same can be said for Mercedes.

The Challenger is in better hands with Fiat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, Daimler AG owned a 20% portion, but contributed a lot of great tech to these Challengers. They are not BMW which I agree does not have a good track record. Mercedes tech, however, has my respect with the MDS, suspension, etc that it contributed. Do you really admire the FIAT line?? There were known as 'fix it again tomorrow' at one time. They look like and drive like crap today. I think its an embarrassment that they have anything to do with Challengers today.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ok, Daimler AG owned a 20% portion, but contributed a lot of great tech to these Challengers. They are not BMW which I agree does not have a good track record. Mercedes tech, however, has my respect with the MDS, suspension, etc that it contributed. Do you really admire the FIAT line?? There were known as 'fix it again tomorrow' at one time. They look like and drive like crap today. I think its an embarrassment that they have anything to do with Challengers today.
I wouldn't say that I admire Fiat; however they have enabled/allowed Tim K. and the Dodge division to do some awesome things over the last few years.

I mean...we have the Hellcat, Demon, Scat Pack and T/A released in just the last 2 years. June was the first month ever that Challenger outsold Camaro and Mustang, which is pretty amazing.

I would bet my next paycheck that we wouldn't have the cars listed above if Cerberus was still in charge. Actually, the Challenger probably would have been killed off by now.

The Challenger was developed and built during some pretty bad years for automakers and the car experienced some pretty nasty issues early on. Those issues have been rectified though and it is now a really good car.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Challengers have gotten better and better over the years. The Cerberus years were really bad and nearly put the final nail in the coffin for Chrysler.

Like it or not, Fiat has really improved the Challenger. I've heard of very few issues with the 2015+ Challengers and the powertrain is essentially bullet proof when left near stock.

You could probably make 500 passes on a stock Scat Pack and not break anything.

If you have a later year model, you have nothing to fear and actually have one of the more reliable cars on the road.
You may be right Ken, my '15 392 Scat is driven hard(over 2 years) and no probs. One caveat: My seat's lumbar control never worked from day one. I have a phobia about taking it to the dealer, but I will before my warranty expires.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
30 mpg from a NAG1!?! I'm calling BS. I could believe 25 but not 30. I owned an 09 R/T for 3 years and never got that mileage at all, even downhill with the wind behind me. My 6-speed gets that mileage but I believe the only way you're getting that mileage is if you're using imperial gallons.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts