Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love using my sunroof on my '12 SRT and living in FL I get to use it a lot on cooler nights cruising down the beach and I really don't want to give it up.

But....when does the structural integrity of the vehicle come into question with these high numbers? I know Dodge has tesed it and feels comfortable enough to offer us a sunroof option. But in my '12 SRT I have already had to drop my headliner twice to tighten up the bolts on the sunroof cause it would pop and creek going over bumps.

Has my sunroof frame working itself loose a fluke? 650 ft-lb of torque is really gonna twist this car up. And thats before the aftermarket gets a hold of this car. No doubt that number will get higher as we add parts.

I know the GT500 uses a sunroof. Anyone know anybody with one to see how it has held up?

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,074 Posts
IDK about the structural integrity thing, but in a video of the Hellcat at Portland International Raceway you can clearly hear the sunroof lift! I also read a a post here from someone that took their car on the Autobahn who said after about 120 mph, he had to tape the roof to keep it from lifting. With my luck, the roof would fly off completely.
I've no doubt the roof has to be stronger without a sunroof. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGdPIkSL3k

Reactions: NX91Notch

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I assume if the sunroof would impact the structal integrity of this car, they would not offer it as an option.
I'll take mine without the sunroof please. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want one in a convertible!!!
Lol. You know how many sales Dodge has lost because they haven't offered a convertible Challenger? I know people who have said they really like the Challenger a lot but didn't even bother looking at them due to the fact no vert. They end up getting a Mustang or Camaro.

I doubt you will ever see a vert Challenger untill they make this new major chassis change in 2018 like they are saying. Thats even if they call that a Challenger anymore.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
My first 392 was a 2011, and I had a problem with the headliner bending down, which was fixed by warranty, but from that moment on, if I was gonna go 80+ mph, I would close the sunroof for the fear that it would cause the same problem. I know I wasn't the only one because I remember others reporting the same even on models earlier than 2011. Later I got a 2012 392 via Lemon Law on my 2011 due to a paint primer issue, and never had an issue with the headliner again.

A few times I have caught myself going more than 80 mph with the sunroof open but have not had a problem with the headliner anymore. I still try to remember to close it at anything over 80 mph, it just happens so quickly sometimes I don't have time to react.

Now, I would assume with the Hellcat, if the sunroof is open, I would have to be even more careful.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In Canada, the sunroof is not available as it is not an option on the dealer order website.

I have a feeling they decided to remove it after the testing they did

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
In Canada, the sunroof is not available as it is not an option on the dealer order website.

Interesting. I think we are going without one this time. We hardly used our previous ones. It was nice to have as a convenience though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
60 Posts

My dealer called me Wednesday and we went through the options and there was a sunroof on his order list $1295 option, MSRP with all options except satin hood, was just over $70,000.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,115 Posts
I would be more concerned about adding a front tower brace, 4 point rear tower brace, and sub bracing, than what the sunroof may do to the car.

With all that power, bracing can't do anything but help the body integrity.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had a Sunroof in my '08 SRT I hated it, I only used it a couple of times ir always leaked in heavy rain, and the car wash....finally the frame cracked in 6 places and it wasn't covered under warranty, so I made sure I ordered my 2013 with no sunroof....

·
Registered
353 Posts
My dealer called me Wednesday and we went through the options and there was a sunroof on his order list $1295 option, MSRP with all options except satin hood, was just over $70,000.

Someone that saw the screen the 2nd day order bank opened told me the dealer saw it on the 1st day but it disappeared. I went in a few days later and looked at the screen, it wasn't on it.

RS updated post #1 saying late avail

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would be more concerned about adding a front tower brace, 4 point rear tower brace, and sub bracing, than what the sunroof may do to the car.

With all that power, bracing can't do anything but help the body integrity.
Looking at some of the pictures/vids of the Hellcat...there is a reservoir tank on the passenger side tower. Any thoughts on how a tower brace would be installed? I'm guessing that reservoir would have to be relocated, yeah?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i have sunroof on my 300 i never use it annoy the hell out of me i hate the damn thing....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.