Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the internet and can't find an answer to my question. Why did Dodge use upswept cast iron exhaust manifolds on some engines in the late 60's - early 70's? I though it might have been because the 440 blocks were so wide it would be easier (more clearance) for the factory to install the engine from above, but I though the engines was installed from below with the K-member as a unit. Maybe there wasn't enough room for the steering shaft? Was it only the 440's or the 383 as well? I don't remember seeing any Hemi's using the upswept manifolds.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Engine were installed from the bottom with the k-member attached to the block back in the day.
If you ever watched Graveyard Cars, when they install a motor, they do it like the factory did.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
The upswept exhaust manifolds allowed better flow than was possible with the manifolds below the ports. Upswept allowed a basically straight path into the manifold, much more efficient than common "log" type manifolds. The high performance 383, 400, and 440 all used the same type of upswept manifolds. The 426 Ramcharger and 426 Super Stock (also known as a Max Wedge), used very high flow upswept exhaust manifolds that were almost as efficient as headers, but heavy. Many people (like me) discarded the exhaust manifolds in favor of tube headers.

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
Even the driver's side exhaust manifolds on the 340 six pack engines were up swept.
the runners on the Six Pack 340 were longer and smoother transition for better flow than the standard version. Having the manifold go up provided more clearance from the steering column shaft.

the passenger side manifolds were different as well - they extended out further from the block to allow a smoother curve.
the engines that had these style manifolds used an oil filter adapter to have the filter angled (vs. the standard manifold layout) to clear the exhaust headpipe.

a lot of A bodies with 340s also used manifolds similar to the 340 6bbl -

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
I've searched the internet and can't find an answer to my question. Why did Dodge use upswept cast iron exhaust manifolds on some engines in the late 60's - early 70's? I though it might have been because the 440 blocks were so wide it would be easier (more clearance) for the factory to install the engine from above, but I though the engines was installed from below with the K-member as a unit. Maybe there wasn't enough room for the steering shaft? Was it only the 440's or the 383 as well? I don't remember seeing any Hemi's using the upswept manifolds.

Thanks
all the B / RB engines (except Street Hemi) had these upswept manifolds

the HiPo 383 used the 440 high performance manifolds (the Roadrunner, SuperBee, Challenger had these 383s that utilized a 440 HP cam for the 335 / 330hp rating in the HP 383 application that was '68 - '70 / '71 respectively for SAE gross ratings)

you can spot a 'standard' 383 or non HP 440 as they have manifolds that aren't as tall as the valve covers.

on the C-body standard 440 - (350 hp) they have a different manifold yet.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,498 Posts
the runners on the Six Pack 340 were longer and smoother transition for better flow than the standard version. Having the manifold go up provided more clearance from the steering column shaft.

the passenger side manifolds were different as well - they extended out further from the block to allow a smoother curve.
the engines that had these style manifolds used an oil filter adapter to have the filter angled (vs. the standard manifold layout) to clear the exhaust headpipe.

a lot of A bodies with 340s also used manifolds similar to the 340 6bbl -
I know I was going to get a set of Repop ones for my '75 Charger with a 360 in it before I decided to sell it instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts