Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so we just picked up our 8th and likely last Challenger (I've had 4 of the originals, and since being married we've had three newer R/Ts) - anyway this one is a 2017 R/T Scat Pack 392/8-speed...and we love it. But we've always loved the original 1970 T/A and want to bolt up a T/A hood - not the 'AAR' hood offered on the modern T/As but the true T/A based on the real '70 T/A.

We want to buy a quality hood but we want one that has all of the necessary hardware, isn't warped from the start, will re-use all of the factory hardware like the washer hoses and such - essentially which is the best direct-swap hood on the market. The issue I'm having is I can't find a definitive answer to which brand of T/A hood is the best quality, is engineered to accept all the factory hardware, etc etc. I've seen the one from MP #82211665AD, the one from Amerihood, Cevinis... - only the MP hood seems to have detailed instructions for what's required for the hood to fit. Painting it is no problem, but I'm just trying to get a feel for 'what all is required' to do a fully complete and functional installation for the other hoods.

I got the impression that the Amerihood was not exactly an OEM install. We want an 'OEM' hood with the proper scoop bezels and attachments, with the gasket for the scoop, with the recesses for the washer hoses, etc - not a close look-alike. The MP hood looks to be 'that'.

I've got the installation instructions for the MP hood and the process isn't just unbolt old hood/install new hood and yer done - there's a lot of small steps to do it properly, and right now I'm inclined to go with the MP hood, and naturally it cost twice as much...but I'm okay with that if the hood is truly designed for an OEM installation.....but I have to wonder if all of the available hoods are made by the same mfg or if there really is a good-better-best review of them all?

So, I was hoping one or more of y'all may have done a T/A (70's style) hood swap and had any advice. Any inputs would be appreciated.

- Sam

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
so we just picked up our 8th and likely last Challenger (I've had 4 of the originals, and since being married we've had three newer R/Ts) - anyway this one is a 2017 R/T Scat Pack 392/8-speed...and we love it. But we've always loved the original 1970 T/A and want to bolt up a T/A hood - not the 'AAR' hood offered on the modern T/As but the true T/A based on the real '70 T/A.

We want to buy a quality hood but we want one that has all of the necessary hardware, isn't warped from the start, will re-use all of the factory hardware like the washer hoses and such - essentially which is the best direct-swap hood on the market. The issue I'm having is I can't find a definitive answer to which brand of T/A hood is the best quality, is engineered to accept all the factory hardware, etc etc. I've seen the one from MP #82211665AD, the one from Amerihood, Cevinis... - only the MP hood seems to have detailed instructions for what's required for the hood to fit. Painting it is no problem, but I'm just trying to get a feel for 'what all is required' to do a fully complete and functional installation for the other hoods.

I got the impression that the Amerihood was not exactly an OEM install. We want an 'OEM' hood with the proper scoop bezels and attachments, with the gasket for the scoop, with the recesses for the washer hoses, etc - not a close look-alike. The MP hood looks to be 'that'.

I've got the installation instructions for the MP hood and the process isn't just unbolt old hood/install new hood and yer done - there's a lot of small steps to do it properly, and right now I'm inclined to go with the MP hood, and naturally it cost twice as much...but I'm okay with that if the hood is truly designed for an OEM installation.....but I have to wonder if all of the available hoods are made by the same mfg or if there really is a good-better-best review of them all?

So, I was hoping one or more of y'all may have done a T/A (70's style) hood swap and had any advice. Any inputs would be appreciated.

- Sam
I COMPLETELY disagree with the idea of the Original TA Hood as better looking than the current TA Hood or the old Barracuda AAR Hood.......but setting that aside....... you should be able to find what you are looking for in the many pages that made up this thread.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/let-s-see-those-t-hoods-151345/

Lot's of people who did it as you want to......and no doubt more than just a couple of different suppliers of the hoods you could ask about in a PM to any of the people who posted.

Good Luck with your search.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Mopar hood is aluminum, vs fiberglass for the others, if that matters to you.
While my car came from the factory with the T/A hood and gull wing spoiler, I did have occasion to have the hood replaced when my neighbors tree decided it wanted a closer look at my car.
The body shop had no problems with either fit or finish of the Mopar replacement PN #82211665AD, the same one you listed.

I, like you, much prefer the original T/A hood, though since they stopped offering this hood as an option in 2014, I suspect it won't be too long and aftermarket will be the only avenue for the original style hood.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Looks like he could do it ......still available. These seem to be the three pieces he'd want though the price is a little "steep" considering he'd still have to do paint.....

$1288 for the Hood,

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku-ymm/2015-dodge-challenger/82211665ad.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG1aSvHhXfF2LhWmE8DJOQVs_9mXyx2sAwPGEHiEZpzycYZ1YfOhrmgaAgU6EALw_wcB

$515 for the duct work under the hood

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mopar-82212435ab-Hood-Vent/1422965175?iid=392023644333&chn=ps

$481 for the cold air intake to the engine that'll match up with the hood's duct-work

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mopar-11-2015-Dodge-Challenger-5-7l-Cold-Air-Intake-System-Kit-for-T-a-Hood/1950625594?iid=391897313314&chn=ps

Find REASONABLE pricing for the paint and this is a $2,500.00 hood if you want it functional.......60% of that if you just want the look.

I only took a quick glace using "google"......it's not hard to imagine someone out there could do better with a more serious search effort.

But if you want it.....sure looks like you can still get it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
great info folks - much appreciated. We don't have to have a fully functional hood with the duct work etc but we'll likely do that down the road. I'll have to resurrect my painting skillz from way back, and I'll likely pull the spoiler and paint both it and the hood egg shell black so they exactly match. The rest will be easy enough with the stripe kit and a couple of the other retro "T/A" items. Should be fun :)

Cool - thanks again all :thumbsup:

- Sam

·
Registered
160 Posts
Max, look for T/A hood #82214313AB, it comes with the hidden windshield squirt nozzles like your Scat Pack. Original T/A hood #82211665AD has the nozzles mounted on the top, as was supplied on the 2008 - 2014 Challengers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again! Yah we'd ordered the earlier one, but called today to can'x that and order the newer version. Both seem to be back-ordered but we can wait...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts