Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the diffrence in the two.
Aerodynamics of the two, seems the 71 would slip through the air better.
Anyone know about the wind tunnel testing of the two. ? can post up.?

This is why I owned a 72 a 74 long time ago.And now my 09. This is my dad purchased off the show room floor of Ted Benson Dodge in Joliet Il in 1971. We just got a complete interior factory grain / white and new top. It has a luggage rack on the trunk, not installed yet, and the orig rally wheels. 383 B B,auto,A/C,3:23LSD,convert, pwrwindows, locks, heated seats,wood grain steerling wheel, glass rear window zip out, a total of # 7 were made with this package/color. 5 to be known of now.
FT

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow, your right, I'm amazed at the size difference. The new Challenger looks huge compared to the 71.

Thanks for posting these.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
FT very nice thank you for sharing a piece of American Muscle history.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The differences don't bother me because Chrysler/Dodge did SUCH a great job with the retro look of this car. Yes, if you put a '70 and a '10 side by side you can see the differences quite easily, but some of that difference is mandated by safety hardware.

I found a pic of a '70 red Challenger and comparing it to my '10 Classic R/T just reinforces again how I made the right decision in buying this car. Even down to the racing stripe on the Classic, it's a dead ringer for the vintage Challenger. That's why everyone that sees it knows exactly what it is.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
Can I have it? They both look absolutely FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Those are some nice pics. Love the 71. No doubt the current Challenger is a BIG car, but somehow, it just looks so right.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Gene, thanks for sharing that butterscotch is gorgeous

·
Registered
585 Posts
nice pics FT :thumbsup: thanks, rare and a one owner too, awesome.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Now compare the old Mustangs to the new ones in a picture like that or the Camaro's and you will see that although the new Challenger is much bigger, it is the only of the 3 muscle cars that actually looks like the old ones the most

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I've read the Cd for the modern SRT given as .35, which is pretty reasonable for a big blunty car. The management of underbody airflow with plastic panels up front and sealed-off wheel wells probably produce a lot of dividends for the Challenger aerodynamics.

The old Challengers probably give up a lot of potential Cd due to the above mentioned airflow management, but they probably have an incrementally favorable frontal profile (lesser sq footage factor that would be applied to the Cd value to determine drag force).

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Those pix really drive the point home how the Challenger may have come from pony car proportions to having grown into a full-fledged muscle car proportion.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
They realized that those of us that could sit in a '71 now need a higher, easier to climb in version. Pay attention to the wheels, back then 15" was huge now we run brake discs nearly that big.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuck, you got a good point on the tires and height. I kinda fall into the 71 lol.
Randycat you know the cd of a 70s car.?
Jeff, that is the color, Butterscotch as labeled on build sheet.
Flt, if Im in or around Bay Town Id have no problem throwing you the keys, sunny, top down, all good.
BW, you know its only a 383 na 330hp I think hp< Nothing like you guys Techos, lol however I think the quality of the cruise youd hop in and go for a beer.
No doubt (Dodge) challengers did the best job at the retro look.
Thanks Guys
FT

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Chuck, you got a good point on the tires and height. I kinda fall into the 71 lol.
Randycat you know the cd of a 70s car.?
Jeff, that is the color, Butterscotch as labeled on build sheet.
Flt, if Im in or around Bay Town Id have no problem throwing you the keys, sunny, top down, all good.
BW, you know its only a 383 na 330hp I think hp< Nothing like you guys Techos, lol however I think the quality of the cruise youd hop in and go for a beer.
No doubt (Dodge) challengers did the best job at the retro look.
Thanks Guys
FT
I have no idea what the Cd would be on a 70. It could be something as horrendous as .40, I'd guess.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Challenger reminds me (size wise) more of the Chevelle and GTO's of old. The styling though is definitely Challenger.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
FT - thanks for sharing. Beautiful photo and the lines on that old school convertible are stunning!

I was looking at the coefficient of drag on the old school Challengers last week and all I found (not a great comparison) is the Daytona which was .29 vs .35+ for the current Challenger (dependent on wheel size). The frontal area in sq feet for the current Challenger is 25.3 and is going up slightly with the 2011's.

HemiSam

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Wiki seems to have a nice collection of Cd's for various cars:

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no Challenger listed, but you can get an idea of what they were working with in the 70's. Some of them are actually surprising...a '74 Countach at a whopping .42, for example.

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
The new Challenger went through extensive wind tunnel tests and, as a result, the 70s styling had to be tweaked to make the car stable at high speed- specifically, the front fascia edge, the front and rear spoilers, etc.). The new Challenger is much more aerodynamic than the 1971 model.

Here it from Jeff Gale, the lead exterior designer:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts