Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look at forum talk and only see question and talk about new challengers, What happened ,
Did every one sell them and buy new ? Is there a section I'm missing ? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got my 73 Challenger, Its in # 2 shape but it rides very hard seems like there is
no spring action, if you it a small crack it feels like a ditch, There is Air shocks on the rear and the standard on front. Is this the way they all ride

·
Registered
123 Posts
There just aren't many originals around anymore and those that are cost a fortune and are mostly garage queens. :shrug03:

·
Registered
121 Posts
You need to ditch the air shocks and put in some regular Gas shocks like Monroe and the ride will change for the better.
Don't buy KYB's they make the old school cars ride like bricks.
Are you using Bias Ply tires or Radials???
Radials will improve the ride and handling of you car.
If you want a site to talk about and get advice for 70's E-Body's join Moparts or the Cuda Challenger board.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron Thanks for an answer to the Question, The tires are BF Goodrich Radial TA Front P215/65 R15 M&S rear P255/60SR15 M&S Rear Shocks are air, Front regular, Make is like Doets
that I can read. How do I find Moparts or Cuda Challenger Boards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Type in Moparts.com or Cuda Challenger .com
Well at least you have Radials so that helps.
Is the car super high or super low?
If the car is high, and I mean High you could be topping the suspension out going over bumps.
If the car is super low you could be hitting the suspension stops going over bumps.
Also see it it has an aftermarket (tall) pinion snubber mounted to the top of the rear end center section, although it is an excellent device for traction if it is too close to the floor you will feel it stopping the suspension travel.
Post up a picture of the car so we can see it!!
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pinion snubber is stock and its 1/2" separation from the carbottom, it does show signs
of hitting the bottom the paint is worn off. the car ride height is 9" in front 10 " in back
from the fenders to ground, The front of challenger is a lot different than ford or chevy
(no springs ) and built a lot stiffer, I wonder now if I so use to soft ride that the e body cars
take getting use to.

·
Super Moderator
15,084 Posts
The pinion snubber is stock and its 1/2" separation from the carbottom, it does show signs
of hitting the bottom the paint is worn off. the car ride height is 9" in front 10 " in back
from the fenders to ground, The front of challenger is a lot different than ford or chevy
(no springs ) and built a lot stiffer, I wonder now if I so use to soft ride that the e body cars
take getting use to.
Torsion bars on the front end - those long, slim rods running from the lower control arms on each side, back to the cross member anchor mid-way under the body...those are the torsion bars (instead of coil springs).

That was unique to (among the [then] big 4)Chrysler since '57, until their FWD models came along.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Nothing wrong at all with the first Challengers. They laid the foundation for what we have today!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts