Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm HUNGRY for more power! From what I've read it is safe to run a 75 shot without any tuning or colder plugs... I live in Ca and 91 octane is all that is available at the pumps, I have a custom dyno tune, I don't know if the timing is advanced with it, if so can I still run it? If not, is the 91 cai tune safe to run with a 75 shot? Also, I have a manual 6 speed so is it safe to run a WOT switch or do I need a window switch, I love burnouts and dropping gears and putting the hammer down!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Good question. I'm gonna be doing this as well. Most likely a plate system or through the Arrington TB.
From what I've read you usually want a higher octane gas when running nos to keep timing n check but I think it can be done without.
Where are you gonna have the work and tune done at?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
You can get away with a 75 shot. I would drop a can of Torco or Aces4 in the tank. But not a must do either.
My early days I sprayed pounds and pounds through the motor with the 75 pills.
Watch or log St knk sensor and A/f if you can. Should be fine though. I would get a couple deg of st knk through the run that the pcm pulled the timing. Like its supposed to do. Keep it hammered !!!! If it goes 5 or 6 deg kr. Remove right foot.
If you have the zex kit its on a wot switch.
FT

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question. I'm gonna be doing this as well. Most likely a plate system or through the Arrington TB.
From what I've read you usually want a higher octane gas when running nos to keep timing n check but I think it can be done without.
Where are you gonna have the work and tune done at?

There's a place in Sacramento called Force Fed Performance, they are the guy's that did the Dyno tune for me a while back, the guy I bought my car from works there as a side job, his primary job is Master Mechanic for the Dodge dealership in Woodland where they have a contract with CHP for building there training vehicles (Chargers). He has video footage of my car smashing down on the track with the built up Chargers, pretty cool. Anyway, to say the least these guy's know the Hemi's inside and out. I will either do it there or install it myself and have them give it a good look then tune it for me. I may also go with a 100 shot if they think I can get away with it. I havent asked them about the smog part of it yet, I started a thread here to see if I could get any good feedback on that but nothing yet. I've read that it's legal as long as the bottle is not connected, I've read that the bottle cant be in the vehicle and I've read that any modification of the fuel system will fail a visual inspection so I dont know what to beleive? It might take me a few weeks or more to get this done so if you do it before then let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the trigger!

I finally pulled the trigger on the ZEX blackout kit. I was saving for a SC and got impatient so I started reading up on nitrous again. I didn't know about progressive controllers and how they can gradually release the nitrous throughout the rpm's as well as many other options. That sounds a lot better than just blasting it all at once. After reading up and learning more about a "complete" system I feel much more comfortable with it. I'm going run the 75 shot until I have a bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, filters, purge kit, colder plugs, progressive controller and an extra bottle or two. I plan on running a 150 shot when it's complete. Other than safety, my other reservation was that I was under the impression that pulling several degrees of timing would be impractical for daily driving and that I would have to switch tunes when I wanted to run nitrous and switch back after. After speaking with Johan he advised me that I would only lose about 10 hp and most likely wouldn't notice it while daily driving. So with that being said, I'm looking forward to the install and the initial 75 shot with the bare bones kit for a little while. I just hope the 75 shot will be a bit more than just a noticeable difference. If anyone remembers the initial test drive with a 75 shot I'd love to hear about it. Was it awesome or more of a "not what I was expecting" type of reaction? What was the difference in 1/4 mile time? Also, is it necessary to lower the rev limiter until I get a controller?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NICE!!

Now that's what I wanted to hear :) Did you use a window switch with the 75 shot or just the WOT switch?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats powertec. I am also planning on going sc but might just go for nitrous. Im getting a custome tune from johan right now so maybe after I play around with it I will look further into nitrous. What does that blackout kit include. You said you're just going to run a 75 shot until you get a*bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, filters, purge kit, colder plugs, progressive controller and an extra bottle or two. I take it then the blackout kit doesnt come with any of this. Whats up with that progressive controller. Is that from zex too?

·
Registered
276 Posts
We just ordered the blackout kit which I believe included the windowswitch/WOT. It's a GREAT kit... 3 bottles? I'd get more.. We started with 1.. Then 2... Then 5... I believe we have 7 10lb and a 15lb hahah. It's addicting.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
We just ordered the blackout kit which I believe included the windowswitch/WOT. It's a GREAT kit... 3 bottles? I'd get more.. We started with 1.. Then 2... Then 5... I believe we have 7 10lb and a 15lb hahah. It's addicting.
Dude, you got to be kidding. LOL LOL whats up bro.
I knew you ran the juice,,,but wow 5 - 6 bottles laying around.
How much you paying for a bottle fill ?? went up here at 4.00 a pound now.
And its the good stuff :wiggle: medical grade. I do part time dental work on the side in my shop. hehe

Yea a 100 125 shot should be fine as long as you pull 3 or 4 deg of timing out. Colder plugs.

I know a guy at LX runs a big stupid shot on a 95% stock motor. Runs in the 10s,,, Freak motor. He pulls timing, and has a tune for juice, big fuel pumps and srt4 injectors, headers, converter, slicks. I think he is chicagochos.
FlatTop

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Congrats powertec. I am also planning on going sc but might just go for nitrous. Im getting a custome tune from johan right now so maybe after I play around with it I will look further into nitrous. What does that blackout kit include. You said you're just going to run a 75 shot until you get a*bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, filters, purge kit, colder plugs, progressive controller and an extra bottle or two. I take it then the blackout kit doesnt come with any of this. Whats up with that progressive controller. Is that from zex too?
Thanks Renlo. The kit is pretty bare bones. It includes a 10lb bottle and mount, a solenoid unit with built in fuel pressure sensor, WOT switch, toggle switch, jets ranging from 75 to 175 in 25hp increments and the plumbing. Here's the kit ZEXâ„¢ Hemi Challenger Blackout Nitrous Systemâ„¢. The progressive controller offers quite a few programming options, you can choose the RPM you want the shot to start and at whatever % you choose, and the end RPM at whatever % you choose, the release is progressive (gradual) from start to finish. I would imagine it would feel somewhat like building boost with a centrifugal type supercharger or a turbo, and more importantly not a huge instant hammer on the engine all at once, more of a soft start. It has other options as well. This is the one I'm interested in, Maximizer 4 Progressive Nitrous Controller. The ZEX kit, the controller and all the other components I mentioned brings the grand total right around $1700 (installing it myself and not counting the extra bottles). Intake temps are much lower with nitrous and the extra heat in the cylinders is managed with colder plugs. Learning about the progressive controller and that daily driving with a nitrous tune isn't an issue is what sold me on the nitrous kit, plus I can start out with a pretty good kick at 75hp fairly inexpensively and add components as I can afford them, the final one being the swap to the 150 shot. The down side being that filling nitrous bottles over the years will eventually surpass the overall cost of a supercharger.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lol, your getting me pumped! So your running this kit http://www.zex.com/zx/hemi-challenger-blackout-nitrous-systemtmhtml/ at a 150 shot without any other components? Did you get a custom tune? How many degree's of timing were pulled and how many steps colder on the plugs? Any upgrades to the fuel system? Do you have to avoid WOT in first and second to keep traction? I apologize for all the questions but it sounds like you've put yours to the test. I want to go as big as I "safely" can with the basic kit while saving for the extra's. Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've been thinking about nitrous for awhile now. You also bring up a good point that over the years especially me that goes to the track twice a month will pay off a supercharger. But the initial cost so dirt cheap for the power so depends on how you look at it I guess. Then again that supercharger is so much better cus you have that power 100% of the time in case a pesty mustang comes along. Then again there is remote bottle openers/heaters etc...

If you run track let me know how much the 75shot will decrease your times?

That progressive controller is cool too. My car lacks low end power with the slicks at a well prepped track. I've come to find out I need to get wheel spin in the 60ft otherwise I stick to early and kinda bog out and loose power and get crappy times. I'd deff add nitrous down low in the rpm so I can roll out and spin instantly thus saving the clutch the abuse from dropping it at a high rpm

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been thinking about nitrous for awhile now. You also bring up a good point that over the years especially me that goes to the track twice a month will pay off a supercharger. But the initial cost so dirt cheap for the power so depends on how you look at it I guess. Then again that supercharger is so much better cus you have that power 100% of the time in case a pesty mustang comes along. Then again there is remote bottle openers/heaters etc...

That progressive controller is cool too. My car lacks low end power with the slicks at a well prepped track. I've come to find out I need to get wheel spin in the 60ft otherwise I stick to early and kinda bog out and loose power and get crappy times. I'd deff add nitrous down low in the rpm so I can roll out and spin instantly thus saving the clutch the abuse from dropping it at a high rpm

My car's not a daily driver, just for fun so let's just say... I'll be ready for that Mustang, lol. The nearest track is nearly a 2 hour drive either direction for me so I've never been but I do plan on it. I want to get the nitrous installed and dialed as well as a set of rear wheels and slicks before before I hit the track. When I do go I'll make sure it's a test n tune day and do runs with and without the spray and let you know, hopefully it wont be too long. You might consider running the 75 shot anyway and using it in addition to a supercharger when that time comes, it would be nice down low paired with a Procharger up high and the cost of the two would be about the same as a Kenne Bell and it would be a beast!

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts

With the bog you mention and being a 6 speed Id think about a studder box. Set it at 4000rpm and you can mash it to the floor mat while tree is droping down. Once on last yellow, dump the clutch.
This way it is easy to control launch rpm and much easyer on the car. Once the car moves it comes out of the studder and then progress on the juice. Way id go if I had a 6 speed anyway.
FlatTop

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Flat Top,

I do not understand why a studder box would make it easier on the rear end or does it only apply to slicks? Also, don't tracks (or at least some tracks) ban them (which also has made me wonder about launch control)? Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow this thread came back from the dead lol but I've read this thread plenty of times when in the early stages of me deciding to get nitrous. I went on to get a bare bone zex nitrous kit as well but I just ordered the plate kit from nitrous outlet in addition for better nitrous and fuel spread over the cylinders. But I recently just installed a procharger and had to take the nitrous plate off because it would not allow the procharger air box to slide on so we resulted back to the the nozzle that came with the kit and tapped the blower air box for the 50 shot pretty slick setup. I was very concerned about using the nitrous with the blower on a stock bottom end but after having a few chats with Flat Top he assured me with the right tuning and good gas I would be fine with that small of a shot. With that being said I have a black nitrous outlet plate 80mm opening fuel and nitrous ports on the plate for sale, but you will have to find your own longer throttle body bolts for this plate to go behind the throttle body. If anyone is interested PLEASE just send me a PM and we can discuss a price. Again just PM me I don't want to hijack this thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
With the bog you mention and being a 6 speed Id think about a studder box. Set it at 4000rpm and you can mash it to the floor mat while tree is droping down. Once on last yellow, dump the clutch.
This way it is easy to control launch rpm and much easyer on the car. Once the car moves it comes out of the studder and then progress on the juice. Way id go if I had a 6 speed anyway.
FlatTop
How does this install into the car?

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Flat Top,

I do not understand why a studder box would make it easier on the rear end or does it only apply to slicks? Also, don't tracks (or at least some tracks) ban them (which also has made me wonder about launch control)? Thanks
Hey bro, The track dont ban them, its the class. No E being no electronics. No use of transbrake, or delay boxes allowed. Then there is a class for those goodies.
I have been around the block once or three times, hehehe and been rowing gears. What I see go on myself included. When on the start line seems hard to hold XXXX rpm waiting for the last yellow to dump the clutch. During this action of waiting on the light to drop,,, many accidently raise the rpm and dump.
Makes it easy when you can set the RPM to xxxx and mash the gas and hold it to the floor. The box will keep your set point so when it hits. The rpm is perfect, say set at 3500, once the clutch is released it hits the tires at your xxxx set point and the box in a mil second brings in all 8 cylenders. Away you go.
This is what i would run myself, just an option to look at. Think i explained it right.
FlatTop

Then theres traction control, not the BS that comes in the car. Davis Technoliges has the sh!t. Best I seen and many run it as in Midwest street outlaws the sonoma truck #1 uses it.
That system reads the driveshaft every 1/8 turn in milaseconds. it will pull timing in the car if it breaks traction and adds timing back in just enough to keep hooked up. Its bad ass. And 3000 to set it up.
My next mod for street racing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What company sells it for our car?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts