Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to clock 75K miles on my 2011 SE and still have the original brake pads and rotors. Not only that, but they appear to still have plenty of life left in them based on the way they look and perform.

This seems odd to me; I would have thought they would have worn down and needed replacement long before 75K.

Anyone else seeing this kind of longevity from the factory whoa-makers?

Nuke

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have my brakes inspected every 5K miles when getting tire rotations. I'm still on original brake pads and rotors on my 2009 with over 60K miles

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I am about to clock 75K miles on my 2011 SE and still have the original brake pads and rotors. Not only that, but they appear to still have plenty of life left in them based on the way they look and perform

>>>>well makes sense to me only because its all high way driving with those miles, how ever it shows your a very good driver still having OE pads!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fan-of-Dodge-Challenger/446115108789757

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
562 Posts
I put a little over 90,000 miles on the original pads and rotors on my '05 GTO.

Every now and then I guess the manufacturers select the right parts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The brakes on Chargers, 300's, and Challenger's last forever! Not uncommon to go 75 to 100k on stock pads. We hardly every change them here at work. And I noticed a lot of new Chrysler products are getting longer and longer life also. I just did a used car inspection on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 45k and it had plenty of pad life left!

The rotors usually warp and need turned way before you need a pad change.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A lot has to do with how you drive them lol. Some people don't coast, have one pedal depressed at all times. Either mashing the gas or the brake. Others stop at light, roll forward, stop, roll froward, stop again. My guess is that brake wear has something to do with the driver and something to do with the quality of the parts.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A lot has to do with how you drive them lol. Some people don't coast, have one pedal depressed at all times. Either mashing the gas or the brake. Others stop at light, roll forward, stop, roll froward, stop again. My guess is that brake wear has something to do with the driver and something to do with the quality of the parts.
Bingo. A lot has to do with stop and go traffic vs. mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My guess is that brake wear has something to do with the driver and something to do with the quality of the parts.
It does to a point.

But I have NEVER replaced pads on a 300, Charger, or Challenger with less than 60k on them. No way getting this many miles are all related to how the person drives.

·
Registered
335 Posts
NX91Notch - "No way getting this many miles are all related to how the person drives." -

So, your saying the brakes are set to wear out at 60k miles? No matter how driven? That is an interested theory for sure.

·
Registered
691 Posts
NX91Notch - "No way getting this many miles are all related to how the person drives." -

So, your saying the brakes are set to wear out at 60k miles? No matter how driven? That is an interested theory for sure.
Well I'm not saying that. I'm sure if you drove hard enough on them you can trash them really fast. I'm just saying the AVEARGE driver wont have a problem going to 60k on average

My brother had an 05 Charger. Drove stop light to stop light WOT with hard braking. He traded it in a 80k and it was still on factory pads. His rotors where hot spotted and warped but still factory pads...but they where to the point that they needed replaced.

I work on these cars everyday....parts department usually only has one set of pads in stock at a time. Hell half the time I do need brakes we need to order them. Where as on mini van rear pads we have about 50 on hand at a time. Rear pads on a mini van need replaced at about 15k! Rear pads on Jeep Wranglers don't last very long either.

Driving does affect pad life no doubt....but I'm telling you pads on these cars last a long time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I live in the mountains. I ride my brakes hard every day. Over 50K on the pads with plenty of life left. I am on my second set of rotors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts