Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have 2019 RT with factory 6 speakers set up id like to add subwoofer in to rear deck so i generally need to know what harness should i get( preferably link fo the right one) im not going to do nothing fancy just wanna plug it in to the rear speakers also what amp and harness need to get. I have all speakers replaced with jbl’s and wanna add same 8” shallow mount pioneer like i have in my ram thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
You are going to want to seal up every hole in the deck that you can find, or the sound waves coming off the back side of the woofer will cancel out the waves coming off the front side. I just went through this, and it went from no bass to some bass. It won’t be a ton, but you’ll at least be able to hear it with everything sealed up.
Purple Black Font Violet Publication
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Grey
Bicycle tire Audio equipment Sunglasses Wire Electric blue
Automotive tire Font Gadget Wood Automotive design
Automotive design Automotive exterior Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i will do that thats for sure or is there some kind of enclosure for this application? Or how the oem woofer works there? Also how did u connect its and what amp did u use

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
Ok i will do that thats for sure or is there some kind of enclosure for this application? Or how the oem woofer works there? Also how did u connect its and what amp did u use
It’s a free-air setup, so the trunk is the enclosure. That‘s why sealing up the deck helps with the bass, but it also means certain subs will perform much better than others. Look for subs that are made to work in a free-air application. Using one that isn’t made for free-air leaves it vulnerable to over-extension pretty easily, and failure follows soon after too much of that.

As for hooking mine up, I wanted to see if I could do it using nothing but equipment I already had sitting around unused. I was able to obviously, but it’s not a route most would want to follow.

I tapped each of the rear deck speakers and ran those into the 3rd inputs on an LC6i. Why 3rd? Because that allows me to use the remote gain knob to control its output. From there I ran RCAs into the back two channels of a 4 channel amp. Then I bridged those two channels into one to power the sub.

A much easier and cleaner way to do this would be to find the appropriate PAC wiring adapter to plug into the factory wiring harness, run some RCAs out of that and into a 200w mono amp to power the sub. But like I said, I wanted to get it done using only stuff I had on the shelf already.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? I got a sealed box and amp for less then 1000 installed. Sits in the trunk behind the wheel well. It can shake the car or just add nice clean subtly bass. I tried just adding a sub to the rear dash but I could not for the life of me remove the rattle from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much are you looking to spend? I got a sealed box and amp for less then 1000 installed. Sits in the trunk behind the wheel well. It can shake the car or just add nice clean subtly bass. I tried just adding a sub to the rear dash but I could not for the life of me remove the rattle from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hd that one in my old challenger it was kicker with amp and I wasn’t satisfied at all i just hate the way how that thing performed. Thats why i want just one for rear deck. To just bit improve the sound and i dont need to beat out the crap from rear speakers btw i have all around speakers replaced with jbl stadiums which i had before and I really like how these performers i know you can find better and amp em but in not spending fortune on that cuz my favorite noises goes anyway from exhaust😂

·
Registered
2019 392 M6
74 Posts
I used this pioneer in my rear deck TSA2000LD2 and wired it in a 4 ohm config with a cheap 500w amp. Installed it the same way Nuke did except I used wire taps and electric tape, his installation looks much more professional. The weather stripping is a good idea, I sealed the bigger holes with dynamat.

Did any of you guys find there to be a bit of a gap in the sound after adding that sub? I would say maybe 75-200hz range sounds weak. I may not have sealed it well enough after reading Nukes post.

Also, it doesn't get that low and the engine sound will easily drown out anything below 30 hz.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
I used this pioneer in my rear deck TSA2000LD2 and wired it in a 4 ohm config with a cheap 500w amp. Installed it the same way Nuke did except I used wire taps and electric tape, his installation looks much more professional. The weather stripping is a good idea, I sealed the bigger holes with dynamat.

Did any of you guys find there to be a bit of a gap in the sound after adding that sub? I would say maybe 75-200hz range sounds weak. I may not have sealed it well enough after reading Nukes post.

Also, it doesn't get that low and the engine sound will easily drown out anything below 30 hz.
From the limited amount of research I did on free-air applications, anything below 30 Hz just isn’t going to be there.

As far as the 75-200 Hz range, I can’t say how well the sub would perform. I would think it could handle it, but hell who knows. A good set of 6x9s up front should be able to cover that pretty well though.

And when it comes to sealing that rear deck, I will say that however well you think have it sealed, there’s probably a couple holes you missed. I was taking pics of mine like I posted earlier and saw some holes in the pics I had missed, so I had to go back and get them.

The main ones you may have missed are up on the extreme inside corners behind and below the rear speaker holes. There are some 2-3” holes on top just behind the speaker holes, and there are some 2-3” ones underneath in about the spots.

Also, the buttress where the main seat belt bolts has holes on both sides of the deck that you’ll have to seal.

Well, you don’t have to, but every bit helps...

Reactions: Vince Tempus

·
Registered
2019 392 M6
74 Posts
Thanks Nuke, it's possible that I missed some spots. If I ever finish the install, I'll go back over that area with weather stripping. I was thinking that the issue may have been caused by the shitty stock amp settings. I only noticed this issue while driving.

As for the sub, I ended up using the pioneer (rear deck) to play 50-220hz (low pass and subsonic filter) to beef up the weak section and added a 12in sealed box to the trunk for below 50. It is a less than ideal solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking into doing something similar for my Car, is a 8' in the back area between the 6' speakers even worth it? I wanted to do a low profile build where the little amp is hidden. I was thinking of doing a
KICKER 44CWCS84 CompC 8 Inch
and a lil Boss amp or something?
Is a dedicated box in the back a better route?

·
Registered
2019 392 M6
74 Posts
I ended up doing a stealth box build for the trunk and using an 8" midrange in the rear deck.

I didn't have much luck getting the rear deck sub to sound correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts