Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I like to daydream a lot and think of all of the possible things I could do to my car, a 2016 Dodge Challenger SXT, and I'm sure as many others do I like to plan for the future. Most of my plans aren't really plausible but hey you never know lets give it a shot!

So to start off I was just thinking about the implications of dropping a 2008 8.3L Viper V10 into my Dodge Challenger SXT. Of course I would have to redo the entire Drive-train including rear-end, axles, driveshaft, brakes, and suspension but I would also have to convert my automatic car to a manual car to accommodate for the 6-speed manual transmission that this engine offers. Okay and now for the questions.

1 - Would this even be something that is worth it? Like obviously since it doesn't fall within the same year or higher rule the engine wont be a legal swap for my car but I've been reading up and most coppers (not including California) don't even look under your hood much less give a damn. My problem is with the emissions. Would it be hard to pass the emissions? I've heard if all else fails to dump a full tank of 110 octane then ride it real hard to get all the gunk out of the engine but I'm not to sure, some clarification would just be much appreciated.

2 - I know you can swap a car from an automatic transmission to manual transmission because I have seen it happen to my dads car. My question is would it be super hard to accomplish? I know you have to add in the clutch pedal and I would need to get a new center console for the manual shifter but what else? is that it? Any information would help out haha.

3 - Now onto the Drive-Train... did I cover everything that needs to be swapped out/replaced? Would all those modifications allow my car to safely handle the HP the 8.3L puts out potentially plus some? Again, any help would be appreciated!

Now again this is mainly just a food for thought type of topic to go over the struggles it would take to complete this swap, but hey if it feeds my imagination then power to it :p Thanks for anyone that offers some input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1Fastmofo put a v10 viper engine into a Challenger, it's a lot more work and money than you might think. I'm not sure if he finished it yet or not. Here's a link to the thread

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f171/oh-no-what-did-i-do-54157/index4.html
I've actually been looking into it quite a bit and by the looks of it, buying the motor along with the brakes and suspension transmission and drive-train doesn't even look plausible before around 35k-40k. I'm just concepting around because I really want a ride that's unique, you know? Like I feel like if you went to a car show and popped your hood to a 8.3L V10 you would have way more people interested than the guy that popped the hood on his stock hellcat. Plus the story you would have from swapping it into an original SXT :grin2: Oh god too good.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
you'd end up spending nearly as much $$ as what a base SXT model would cost.

While it could be done, the time and money wouldn't cost out.

The drag pack model ('10) had the V10, but this wasn't street legal nor emissions compliant as it was off-road only.

The harnesses, engine management would have to be tied into the Challenger's system and I suspect those two models electrical systems are very different from one another.

This isn't as simple as swapping engines in a pre '90s car when systems were simpler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you guys thing about fitment? I just went outside and popped the hood of my car and I hadn't even thought about how it would sit in the engine bay... Do you think you would have to do a lot of structural cutting? I know in the viper engine bay its towards the firewall but then their is a bunch of room for the air intake system. I'm guessing that would have to be positioned downward instead of straight ahead? And what if forced induction where to play into affect later down the line? Would there be room to fit the two turbos? Hmmmm questions questions questions!!!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Add Sprintex Supercharger to your engine and enjoy...

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Add Sprintex Supercharger to your engine and enjoy...
Yea I've actually looked into the supercharger kits that TidalWave has to offer and it just doesn't have enough >:) What will probably end up happening is eventually ill dump my V6 for a SRT 392 or a SP.. or maybe who knows ill grow some manhood and do something ballsy like this :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
15,284 Posts
If you are really into the V10, why not just buy a 2005-2006 Viper? You can probably pick one up for around $40-44 K- the approximate cost of converting your SXT. Also, a lot less headaches.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Less headaches if you are 6ft or less. At 6'4, the roof blocks the windshield view even after installing the driver seat drop bracket, no bueno......

If you are really into the V10, why not just buy a 2005-2006 Viper? You can probably pick one up for around $40-44 K- the approximate cost of converting your SXT. Also, a lot less headaches.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
That would definitely be an eye catcher if you did do it but I will have to agree with everyone else here and that its not a smart move monetarily wise. With all the electronics in these cars I can only suspect major gremlins in your future if you pursue this.

I think you will be better off in a 392 or Hellcat. It may not be as unique as you like but then again you can actually enjoy your car and pass emissions.

I have a friend that bought an old Camaro (99) and he got it on the cheap and plans on dropping a 6.0 built motor in it. By the time its all said and done he will have about 20k in the car and of course it will be fast but streetablilty and time to make things fit just keeps the driving time minimal. I just told him to sell it and buy a new Camaro SS or a Scat Pack/SRT and be done with it. You have the ability to race, take long trips, and slap a few bolt ons if you wanted. These newer cars with all the horsepower out the box really takes the fun out of building an older car as you have to dump a lot of money just to get to the level of a stock car.

To me it isnt worth it but I like your concept and would love to see a build thread from you here if you decided to go this route.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
I agree with the others, would be a fun project if you had a shop and a big budget but otherwise not economically feasible, but man a street legal version of this sure would be a blast ..

http://youtu.be/QPVKPgWII6o

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Less headaches if you are 6ft or less. At 6'4, the roof blocks the windshield view even after installing the driver seat drop bracket, no bueno......
Yeah I don't want to just buy a viper for that reason. I've tried sitting in a lot of low sitting sports cars like the viper and corvette and even some super-cars and at 6'3 I just don't fit comfortably.

That would definitely be an eye catcher if you did do it but I will have to agree with everyone else here and that its not a smart move monetarily wise. With all the electronics in these cars I can only suspect major gremlins in your future if you pursue this.

I think you will be better off in a 392 or Hellcat. It may not be as unique as you like but then again you can actually enjoy your car and pass emissions.

I have a friend that bought an old Camaro (99) and he got it on the cheap and plans on dropping a 6.0 built motor in it. By the time its all said and done he will have about 20k in the car and of course it will be fast but streetablilty and time to make things fit just keeps the driving time minimal. I just told him to sell it and buy a new Camaro SS or a Scat Pack/SRT and be done with it. You have the ability to race, take long trips, and slap a few bolt ons if you wanted. These newer cars with all the horsepower out the box really takes the fun out of building an older car as you have to dump a lot of money just to get to the level of a stock car.

To me it isn't worth it but I like your concept and would love to see a build thread from you here if you decided to go this route.
I don't really care if its monetarily worth it to be honest. I feel like it would be something fun I could do if it dad happen and it would be a beast in the end. There is actually a harness that was made for the 2011 Drag Pak with the V10 that was created to allow the V10 to be compatible with the dodge challenger computers. There is probably still some hurdles there electronically, but hey all part of the experience yea?

I agree with the others, would be a fun project if you had a shop and a big budget but otherwise not economically feasible, but man a street legal version of this sure would be a blast ..

http://youtu.be/QPVKPgWII6o

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
There are actually a couple of shops here in San Antonio that were interested in taking on the project if I had the money for it. IDK I think it would be really cool. I've seen some interesting things with placement in the engine bay like cutting back the firewall to fit that extended intake system, one of the only problems I really see with fitment. Other than that it looks like the engine itself sits in there pretty. I know for a fact it would be expensive to pull off "legally" at least with my car. With the rule on engine swapping being the engine has to be the same year or newer, the 8.4L engines from the 2016 vipers currently cost around 25k for just the engine and transmission compared to the 9-12k engine/transmissions for the gen 3 vipers. Although to be honest ive got a couple of family friends in law enforcement and they said as long as you follow the rules most coppers wont even really care, and even if you don't follow the rules and get into some trouble they'll just tell you to swap it back they wont crush it or anything.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
This has been done to completion at least 2-3 times, one was actually a Charger and was on display at SpringFest a couple years back.

Yes, it's possible (obviously) but this is a project for someone that has 10s of thousands of dollars burning a hole in their pocket. It's not a simple or cheap task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you really want to build up a SXT, then get a 426 stroker and just drop it in. If that's not enough for you, add a blower. Much cheaper and less work.

Cheaper yet would be to sell the SXT and start with a Scat Pack car. At least then you have the core engine, suspension, and brakes to start with.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I don't mean to be a jerk but if you have to ask the questions you are asking....it's out of reach for you.

Yes, you can fund someone else doing it but where's the pride in that? Plus, an SXT with a V10 will still be an SXT and one that doesn't even get good gas mileage any longer at that.

If you haven't noticed...a Hellcat engine is making more HP than a Viper V10.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This has been done to completion at least 2-3 times, one was actually a Charger and was on display at SpringFest a couple years back.

Yes, it's possible (obviously) but this is a project for someone that has 10s of thousands of dollars burning a hole in their pocket. It's not a simple or cheap task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think I've found all the recorded ones... There was the drag pak obviously, then there was the srt10 that the srt team built, then there was the one made by magnum rides or whatever not quite sure... then there were a couple on youtube but they didn't look completed fully and they weren't in English. Some of the articles I've read have said that for the most part it isn't a terribly tough swap, still hard mind you but not completely impossible.

If you really want to build up a SXT, then get a 426 stroker and just drop it in. If that's not enough for you, add a blower. Much cheaper and less work.

Cheaper yet would be to sell the SXT and start with a Scat Pack car. At least then you have the core engine, suspension, and brakes to start with.
Yeah just selling the sxt and then buying a SP or SRT 392 is definitely an option I'm looking into if this V10 viper thing doesn't pan out .

I don't mean to be a jerk but if you have to ask the questions you are asking....it's out of reach for you.

Yes, you can fund someone else doing it but where's the pride in that? Plus, an SXT with a V10 will still be an SXT and one that doesn't even get good gas mileage any longer at that.

If you haven't noticed...a Hellcat engine is making more HP than a Viper V10.
Look I made this post to learn and to learn you have to ask questions. There is no way I would try to accomplish this project right now as is, the project would happen within maybe the next 2 or 3 years. Another thing, I don't feel like it will really still be an sxt after the transmission swap, complete drive-train overhaul, and 8.3L drop in. Not to mention, the hellcat setup includes forced induction, while the viper engine is naturally aspirated. This means that the limits for the viper engine are far higher than the limits for the hellcat setup.

I assume that you have seen these photos of the 2008 Challenger SRT10 concept car. The high shaker hood scoop was necessary to accommodate the motor.

Car and Driver
Yeah I saw the shaker hood, and I don't think its 100 percent necessary for the drop. The few I've seen haven't used the shaker hood besides that one and have just cut the fire wall down and set the engine a couple (4-8) inches back, or they've directed the air intake to the sides instead of straight ahead with some custom piping.

Thanks for all the responses guys this is bringing to my attention some questions I hadn't even thought about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts