Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my screen just went dark. About 20 minutes later it came on but as the back up camera. Backed into my parking spot, put it in park, still camera. Shut the car off and restarted and it appeared to be ok. Driving to and from work today I tested several functions and all seemed normal except.... the radio keeps chaning stations. Example 102.3 goes to 102.1 on its own. Any ideas??

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would call U-Connect & see what they have to say. There may be a software update or possibly a hard re-boot. Otherwise, you may need a replacement unit.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
The factory head-unit in my 2012 had some odd behavior along these lines. It would play one radio station despite being set to a different one on the screen. It would always be on 107.9 FM at startup despite being on CD or Aux at shutdown. And so on and so forth.

The final straw was when it just blinked off and wouldn’t respond to any inputs, neither the touch screen nor the buttons and dials worked. And it was reset into default config like I had unhooked the battery and just reconnected it prior to startup.

The problem was that it was last August, and the Default config for those cars is Heat on, Defroster vents blowing at medium speed.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Reads like the radio unit is bad. The one in my 2018 Hellcat went bad. But it manifested this as a NAV system that had my car's position off by 20 to 40 miles.

Since I observed the NAV system loading up after turning on the car I didn't feel messing with the fuse or disconnecting the battery would buy me anything.

I checked on the uConnect web site and was informed my car's radio software was current.

Took the car in for this NAV goofiness. Tech confirmed radio/NAV bad. Called Chrysler. Was told there was a software update. This was downloaded -- takes an hour mostly it consists of NAV data I guess -- and applied to the radio. Did not help. Chrysler was contacted again. Lo and behold yet a 2nd update was available. This was downloaded and applied to the radio. Still the NAV was goofy.

A new radio was ordered. (I think the bezel has to come off so the tech can see the radio model/serial number to ensure he orders the right radio. Apparently the radio installed at the factory is not noted and linked to the VIN.)

New radio came in and I had it installed. Not sure which update was put in the radio. The screen is different in some minor ways from what it was with the version of software uConnect said was the latest.

At any rate the NAV works ok now.

Well, with some issues. The NAV data is not very current. There are freeway interchanges in this area that have been in place for a couple of years and the NAV system still shows the old roads. Some businesses are no longer present -- and have not been present for some time -- but the NAV thinks they are there.

In some cases unless I drive into the front door of the destination the NAV unit does not recognize I have reached the destination and as I'm driving out of the lot continuously recalculates the route.

But at least the NAV system has the car located in the right county.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
So last night my screen just went dark. About 20 minutes later it came on but as the back up camera. Backed into my parking spot, put it in park, still camera. Shut the car off and restarted and it appeared to be ok. Driving to and from work today I tested several functions and all seemed normal except.... the radio keeps chaning stations. Example 102.3 goes to 102.1 on its own. Any ideas??
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
DodgeCares

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone somewhere asked if anything was plugged into the OBD port. I was leaving my Tazer installed. Removed it and so far so good. Time will tell.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts