Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 8.4 ra3 radio my car has blue grey white cables and one big plug?
The radio I received has no Blue connection on back? Also the blue cable it does not fit in the same spot as the original 5.0
Spot? I guess it was just too good to be true? I found the Guy
Maybe he sent the wrong one? &$s5!!

I tore apart the dash removed my old 5.0 radio and went to install this new 8.4 and the new 8.4 has no blue spot for my blue cable to connect to?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seems like I plugged that blue cable into a different color on the radio when I did my old R/T. Maybe brown? Anyways it worked.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted The guy i bought it from he said I need this connector, or remove the blue connector and jam the wire into Mustard / Curry colored port? But it wont be secured? It might rattle loose over time? Seems chessey so I ordered this in the link below...

https://www.infotainment.com/products/fakra-c-to-k-converter-cable

Would have been nice to know blue cable goes to Mustard / Curry port on replacement 8.4 Uconnect and you might want to get this cable to complete the install? Anyhow I will still be way ahead if it does work so $25 for this wire way less then what Infotainment wants for the RA3 8.4 radio @ $799

Anyway I placed my order waiting for this wire with connectors on each end
Fun I had it all torn open and find the new radio has no blue port? Emails and searching I got the answer
Still dont know 100% if I will have full functions like sport mode usb hvac controls etc. etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it was the 1st to pop up on my search.

I just bought an RA3 "VP3-MX" Mexican zone radio that has the Blue connector on it and I'm in the reverse position you were as my Curry colored xm radio antenna wont plug in. So now I'm hunting down an adapter cord to mate them up.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
542 Posts
You're RA3 has a blue connector? No XM? I thought all RA3's had the curry connector and XM.

So XM isn't an option in Mexico, or they charge extra for it even if you get the 8.4?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep it's a blue connector. I could give a crap about xm radio anyway so all I need is the navigation which it is set up for, just need to get it activated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh and someone on another thread had the perfevt solution... Just but the bare colored connector you need and swap it out. They come apart very easily. So I just ordered a blue female connector on eBay for $6 shipped.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
542 Posts
That was me. :)

You might try plugging in the radio and leaving the blue end cable off and see if the compass works. Maybe you don't need that cable at all.

I have read and understood that the XM cable also carries the GPS signal, but last night I was reading the SGI to SGII thread and the wiring diagram in post #14 says the GPS antenna is under the dash behind the instrument cluster and plugs into C5 while the satellite radio antenna plugs into C6.

No idea, very confused now. Maybe the wiring diagram is for a 2014 and older and the guy that posted was wrong about it being for a 2015?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My old RA2 didn't have GPS all i have is the xm puck antenna on the back area of the cab roof. But the compass for the dash works just fine so who knows, it shows up on the radio as well. But for the navigation I'm assuming that's what the Blue connector is for???

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
542 Posts
My 5" (RA2) was the same. I had read that the reason for the blue connector on the RA2 without satellite radio was so the compass worked which is why I sourced the curry connector. The above referenced wiring diagram makes me question this info.

I am only suggesting that if your dash is still opened up, try plugging in the radio without the blue cable connector and see if the compass works. If so, the GPS signal is in the big plug and not the cable to the puck antenna. If not, then there is something off on the wiring diagram referenced and the GPS signal is indeed in the cable from the puck antenna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My blue connection is open, nothing plugged into it right now as I'm waiting for the new connector i ordered. So from what you are saying, the compass must operate off an entirely different connection under the dash since both my dash and the radio compass are working properly.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
542 Posts
Oh, so you already have it hanging and the compass is working. I misunderstood.

Interesting! That would imply that the GPS antenna is indeed a different connection.

The only hang up could be if the Nav uses a bigger GPS antenna that the one used for the compass. If that is the case, then maybe you would still need the curry connector when you activate the navigation.

My guess is that you don't need the cable if you don't care about XM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts