Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for going over something that’s been discussed before, but as of now what is the best advice on the software update?
I’v been getting the dreaded update reminder and I’m unsure what to do.
2015 SXT Plus

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
How are you getting the update warning?

I have a 2016 SXT, and I've done 2 updates manually myself through the Dodge website. You enter your VIN, and it let's you know if any updates are available. You copy files to your computer, unzip them, and copy them to a USB drive.

My last update was an over the air update last summer. It was painless, but let me know I had to keep the car running for 15 minutes for it to finish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MEKrunner. Yes, I’ve been getting the update message, but was reluctant to accept it because of all the horror stories I’ve read. I wanted to be sure the myriad problems have not affected 2015 vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to MEKrunner and also to you A Guy. I’m going to go for the hands-on approach and download the latest online update dated 3.21.18. I’ll report back once it’s done.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I just checked and found an update for my 2016 SP, released yesterday... 3-23-18
I've downloaded it and contemplating whether or not I should install it.
I'm a sucker for updates and thinking I probably will go with it.
I've been keeping up with the horror stories on past updates and realize I'll be taking a chance on something getting screwed up.

If I take the plunge, I'll report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get the latest version, should skip right over the troubled update. No saying if latest update won't have it's own though...

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

A Guy
Thanks for the link. I have a 15 SP with original software. The link show 2 updates. I am not sure if I should do them both in order or just the latest one...or should I just leave well enough alone as things are working fine.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have a 15 SP with original software. The link show 2 updates. I am not sure if I should do them both in order or just the latest one...or should I just leave well enough alone as things are working fine.
You should be able to only run the most recent.
Try that first and it should tell you if it's not compatible.

Disclaimer: I'm not an authority on this so do it at your own risk. 0:)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
Depends on what they offer, and if that appeals to you? I honestly do not know if the updates are cumulative? Does the most current include everything the previous update had as well? I'll say that would make sense, which may rule it out, lol. I actually skipped an update that added Siri Eyes Free. I had no use for it. That's not saying there are no other background improvements, but if what they advertise isn't something you need/want, then it's kind of like drivers on a PC. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol. What updates are available for you? We may be able to find what Uconnect advertised they were for.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
MrMacG5, you’re a brave man. Thanks for taking the plunge—good luck!
Ha! Brave or stupid... sometimes interchangeable!

I did it! As I said earlier, I'm a sucker for updates. Just curious, I suppose. I run beta software on all my apple devices just because.

Anyway, the uConnect update appears to have gone without a hitch. I sat in the garage and watched it all the way through just to see what it does. It showed several items that it was updating such as Apps, EQ, some other stuff. I took a couple of pics but not for everything. It restarts the process several times and looks like it's just doing the same thing over and over at first. But it does go through all the 15 steps.

The instructions on the website are funny where it says to turn off the ignition, open and close the door, wait 60 seconds, do that again, then repeat 3 times.. "I love my Challenger", start the car....:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MrMacG5—congratulations! I just direct downloaded the update for my 2015 Challenger onto my iMac. I see two files: swdl.iso and swdl.upd
I clicked on the .iso and got a file labeled CDROM which contains four sub folders. I dragged all four into my 16 gig jump drive—assuming those files constitute the update. I think I’ll wait to hear back from you before I go to the car to try it out, but so far so good. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
MrMacG5—congratulations! I just direct downloaded the update for my 2015 Challenger onto my iMac. I see two files: swdl.iso and swdl.upd
I clicked on the .iso and got a file labeled CDROM which contains four sub folders. I dragged all four into my 16 gig jump drive—assuming those files constitute the update. I think I’ll wait to hear back from you before I go to the car to try it out, but so far so good. Thanks!
No, as A Guy said, you only want the two files. No folders.When you first download the update from the website, it will expand into a folder containing the two files. You want a completely empty flash drive formatted in FAT format and only the two files. You don't double-click the file and mount it as a CD ROM first.

I'm about to go for a short drive just to make sure all is working with sport mode, etc. It shows up on the EVIC when you turn it on so I assume it's ok.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, thanks. I’m going in.
I’ll report back once the update is completed. Enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m not sure if you were joking or not about the horse power boost, but I just took a quick blast up the hill after installing the update, and I could swear the car had better throttle response and a deeper exhaust sound. Am I imagining things, or has anyone won else experienced something similar? Could the update have changed the engine mapping to give a little bit more horsepower? Anyway I’m very appreciative of the help and advice from the club members. I also want to send a special shoutout to A Guy and MrMacG5 for shepherding me through the update process. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I’m not sure if you were joking or not about the horse power boost, but I just took a quick blast up the hill after installing the update, and I could swear the car had better throttle response and a deeper exhaust sound. Am I imagining things, or has anyone won else experienced something similar? Could the update have changed the engine mapping to give a little bit more horsepower? Anyway I’m very appreciative of the help and advice from the club members. I also want to send a special shoutout to A Guy and MrMacG5 for shepherding me through the update process. Thanks!
Yes sir, I was joking. I threw that in (jokingly) since it did run like a scalded ape on my little test run. :surprise:

I certainly won't rule out the possibility that something updated that could affect the power, but I do seriously doubt it.

You're welcome for the walkthrough to get it done.
Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I updated mine today. 21 minutes from plugging the USB in, to 100%. 2 more minutes to confirm, while everything worked again, then asks you if want to install again. The Embedded Air section took the longest. I joked in another thread if maybe it was updating so when 3G goes, it will still be able to update. Now I am wondering if it isn't true. Not a 4G upgrade, but the internal connection so it works after 3G?

A Guy

1 - 20 of 122 Posts