Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased and installed a 8.4 uConnect non-NAV for my 2017 SXT. For the most part it works correctly, however when I use HD there is a buffering sometimes. I've looked online and it seems that this gets fixed with a Firmware update. The problem I have is the only place I've found it it the uConnect site. They want my VIN or course, but that won't show the 8.4, it will show the smaller one that was stock.

Does anyone have the FW update file they could send me? It can be downloaded and then simply gets unzipped and put on a thumb drive. I just need a copy of the file. Or some place to get it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
what firmware are you running now? the latest is 16.11. Where did you get that radio? To get it to work in your car you should have gotten a vin with it if purchases on ebay or amazon used?

Ron

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what firmware are you running now? the latest is 16.11. Where did you get that radio? To get it to work in your car you should have gotten a vin with it if purchases on ebay or amazon used?

Ron

The radio works fine in my car. Fired up as a Chrysler, then on the second start Dodge, just like it should have. The FW that came in them was updated to fix this exact problem. The VIN of the original car is of no importance. The only thing a person might need is the security unlock code, which I have.

LV

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I have the same issue in my 2015 Ram 3500, I installed a 8.4 NAV but can't update it from the uconnect sight. I also have a unlock code but don't know what that's suppose to do the 8.4 works fine in my truck. I just can't update it without a VIN # I guess.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not sure where you guys got your radio's from but if you got the unlock code that is based off a vin. If you got it somewhere like infotainment.com you can ask them for the firmware update. I would personally google something like "17 [car make]" and then look at all the car sites that sell cars. Once you find a car that matches what you have get that vin and download the file yourself. That is just me though your mileage may vary.
You could also go to the dealer and have them flash it to the latest version. That is actually what I did as I had them add the auto remote start that requires a flash to the radio anyway. I think for them to just flash it though was like 200 dollars. To buy the remote start and have them install it including the flash was 500. I do hope the best of luck for both your guys.

Ron

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd worry about using someone elses VIN number, and connecting to my name and other personal information. I can see that being considered fraud.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Apparently using AlfaOBD you can scan the radio and detect the original VIN that the radio was associated with. There is a huge thread on the Ram forum and this tidbit was posted today. Found it very interesting. If it works it will be nice to not have to download a random update.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was able to find the VIN for a 2017, but it was a UAQ with NAV. Mine is a UAS without NAV. I don't loaded the file anyway, but I'm not sure it is compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

My radio is 8.4 UConnect 4C UAS. It would be helpful I guess if I knew the years this radio came in, but Googling that hasn't yielded much yet. The filename was UCONNECT_VP4R_US_NAV_CR16.11_LALDLX_MY17.zip.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was able to find the VIN for a 2017, but it was a UAQ with NAV. Mine is a UAS without NAV. I don't loaded the file anyway, but I'm not sure it is compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

My radio is 8.4 UConnect 4C UAS. It would be helpful I guess if I knew the years this radio came in, but Googling that hasn't yielded much yet. The filename was UCONNECT_VP4R_US_NAV_CR16.11_LALDLX_MY17.zip.
Nope that wont work. You would get an error about the firmware not being compatible with the radio. the file you want is exactly the same but does say NON_NAV. I am positive I deleted the vin I used to download the non nav version or I may have been able to im it to you.
As far as being connected to your name though the site only asks for a vin. Nothing else so they would not be able to connect that to your name.
As far as years. Only 17-19 use the uas radio. I would not try the 19's though as most likely they do not have an update available. You may even have an issue with 18's if your radio actually is from a 17. I say that because the firmware has the MY listed in it so may give you the error if you firmware says MY17.5 and you download a firmware that has MY18 in it. Not sure never tried it though.
Again if you want to pay the dealer is able to flash it for you. They flashed mine at any rate.

Ron

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nope that wont work. You would get an error about the firmware not being compatible with the radio. the file you want is exactly the same but does say NON_NAV. I am positive I deleted the vin I used to download the non nav version or I may have been able to im it to you.
As far as being connected to your name though the site only asks for a vin. Nothing else so they would not be able to connect that to your name.
As far as years. Only 17-19 use the uas radio. I would not try the 19's though as most likely they do not have an update available. You may even have an issue with 18's if your radio actually is from a 17. I say that because the firmware has the MY listed in it so may give you the error if you firmware says MY17.5 and you download a firmware that has MY18 in it. Not sure never tried it though.
Again if you want to pay the dealer is able to flash it for you. They flashed mine at any rate.

Ron

Thanks, I figured that. Thanks for the year information also, that is helpful and not as easy to find as it should be. I do this kind of thing for a living so I can't see paying the dealer $200 to push a thumb drive into a connector for me. No offense to those who did that for convenience of who aren't as comfortable with tech as I am. Been doing this for 40 years.

I was able to get a VIN from the place I purchased from Factory Radio Part dot com. I've now got the FW file for the non-NAV unit. It is just under 1GB. I can post it to my Google drive probably if someone needs it. I want to test it first of course. This file requires a 16GB thumb drive and my largest is 8, so I'll have to go buy a larger one first.

LV

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd worry about using someone elses VIN number, and connecting to my name and other personal information. I can see that being considered fraud.
A fraud is usually committed when you intentionally do something for monetary gain. If they charged money for an update to a non original owner and you use someone else’s VIN then you might have a problem if the company reported it. But if the updates are free for the device then it won’t matter. I’d be more worried about buying stolen property if it wasn’t from a reputable business.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A fraud is usually committed when you intentionally do something for monetary gain. If they charged money for an update to a non original owner and you use someone else’s VIN then you might have a problem if the company reported it. But if the updates are free for the device then it won’t matter. I’d be more worried about buying stolen property if it wasn’t from a reputable business.

It was, and you are right about the fraud. I was over thinking, or was it under thinking?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there anyone who has a 8.4 UConnect 4C UAS. This is the information in the dealer pages for my radio, can you confirm that it is or is not up-to-date?

Hold the front defogger plus both drivers up and down heat buttons at the same time to get into Dealer Pages.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
Doesn't appear to be an image you posted?

A Guy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't appear to be an image you posted?

A Guy

Weird, I see them. Maybe the links from my Google account don't work on this site. I've used them elsewhere. I'll try uploading them...after I download them from G.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
My ‘19 SPS has the non-nav Uconnect. It says sw version 18.20.2e so apparently not up to date. But when I checked the Uconnect website it says no updates available based on my vin...go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
My ‘19 SPS has the non-nav Uconnect. It says sw version 18.20.2e so apparently not up to date. But when I checked the Uconnect website it says no updates available based on my vin...go figure.
Be patient. You are lucky to have a 2018 update. I would check again in another 6 months. These things come once a year like Santa Claus.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yep I do this type of thing for a living as well. That is why I had no issues flashing the radio from a vin I found from a search myself. However since i was getting the remote start install, they charge you for the flashing whether you get it not. since I needed more than a radio flash as I changed out the entire center hvac/body module so I had all the buttons(stp) that worked with the 8.4 radio I was paying for the flash whether I did it or not.
good to hear you got the vin. Now you just need to check every now and then to see if they updated it since the last time you checked. However our cars dont seem to get updated at all as the last update for the 17's were 8/2017. The 15/16's have had updates even last year.

Ron

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep I do this type of thing for a living as well. That is why I had no issues flashing the radio from a vin I found from a search myself. However since i was getting the remote start install, they charge you for the flashing whether you get it not. since I needed more than a radio flash as I changed out the entire center hvac/body module so I had all the buttons(stp) that worked with the 8.4 radio I was paying for the flash whether I did it or not.
good to hear you got the vin. Now you just need to check every now and then to see if they updated it since the last time you checked. However our cars dont seem to get updated at all as the last update for the 17's were 8/2017. The 15/16's have had updates even last year.

Ron

Unfortunately the VIN they gave me, for a 2017 resulted in an non-compatible FW file. So I still haven't gotten an update. That's why I posted the pictures of my dealer pages. Hopefully someone can check their own and see what year this came from. Seems weird that the year matters if the radio is the same, but I guess that's the way they fly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts