Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the 7" screen with a used 8.4 w/nav. Found plenty, used and reman'd, like infotainment.com. (Not willing to pay $1,400 at this time)

Only thing I'm concerned about is compatibility. How far back from 19' can I use used 8.4 units? New T/A has performance package w/pages but the 7" screen, so yeah, I need an 8.4.

What I'm looking at:

• Radio - Audio Video Equipment RECEIVER AND DISPLAY, 8.4 TOUCH SCREEN, W/NAVIGATION, W/SATELLITE RADIO, W/TELEMATICS ID#68258397AD

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Do you want AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay functionality? Pre-2017 radios don't support that, so if you want that functionality, you need a radio from a 2017+. Also, for the 2017+ radios, there are two different radios - a UAS (non-Nav and cannot be "upgraded" to support nav) and UAQ (has Nav).

You have to be careful to get a UAQ unit if you want the nav functionality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced my 7 inch with the 8.4 w/Nav. I'm having a couple issues. first issue is that the bezel from the 7 inch to the 8.4 will not fit correctly anymore so now i have to find the correct bezel. Second issue is the climate control does not function correctly with the 8.4, I will not show me the correct temperature, it only shows AC on LO and heater on HI, you can still control the AC from the bottom controls but you will not be able to see the temp. I truly brought the 8.4 for the Nav and the Performance Pages so with AC, I'm not concern with seeing the temp as long as it works. Keep in mind, if you have the 7 inch, your biggest issue is the bezel, only the 5 inch and 8.4 inch bezels fit each other.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
153 Posts
I just replaced my 7 inch with the 8.4 w/Nav. I'm having a couple issues. first issue is that the bezel from the 7 inch to the 8.4 will not fit correctly anymore so now i have to find the correct bezel. Second issue is the climate control does not function correctly with the 8.4, I will not show me the correct temperature, it only shows AC on LO and heater on HI, you can still control the AC from the bottom controls but you will not be able to see the temp. I truly brought the 8.4 for the Nav and the Performance Pages so with AC, I'm not concern with seeing the temp as long as it works. Keep in mind, if you have the 7 inch, your biggest issue is the bezel, only the 5 inch and 8.4 inch bezels fit each other.
I had this issue. I'd recommend pulling the power from your rear battery out, wait about 5 minutes, then plug it back in. This should reset your system and force the infotainment unit to read the new hardware. However I was unable to resolve this issue, and eventually returned the machine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Regarding the bezel not fitting, I do know that they are multiple "styles" of the 8.4 UAS/UAQ headunit that have different "bezel attachment" methods - for different cars, I'm assuming. Some have the bezel attachment points on the left and right side and some have them on the top and bottom. If I remember correctly, the Challenger used the top and bottom style...

Not sure if that is the bezel issue you guys are talking about or not. My understanding was that the same bezel should work for both 7 and 8.4 sized head-units though.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
424 Posts
Second issue is the climate control does not function correctly with the 8.4, I will not show me the correct temperature, it only shows AC on LO and heater on HI, you can still control the AC from the bottom controls but you will not be able to see the temp. I truly brought the 8.4 for the Nav and the Performance Pages so with AC, I'm not concern with seeing the temp as long as it works. Keep in mind, if you have the 7 inch, your biggest issue is the bezel, only the 5 inch and 8.4 inch bezels fit each other.
Seems like I have heard that after 2016, the radios got much more year specific, meaning a 2019 might need a 2019 radio to work? Did you swap one from a different year than your car?

Just an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts