Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared a 5.0 UConnect bezel to an 8.4 one?

I have found references to some pins or ribs on the 5.0 bezel that need to be removed to allow the bezel to fit better, but I am curious if that is the only difference between the two or if there is a difference in the opening shape and/or curvature.

Been trying to track down a picture or two of the inside of the bezel, but so far just found what I believe to be 5.0 screens. Not sure if I could see any other differences from a picture anyway.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don’t have an 8.4 bezel yet, but pulled my 5.0 and compared it to the 8.4 screen.

I don’t doubt it could work but I don’t like how it might look. The 5.0 seems to have a pretty good curve in both directions while the 8.4 is completely flat. And the 8.4 seems to be taller by an 1/8” or so.

Presently working on finding an 8.4 bezel and will post results when I have one to compare.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I think would be the issue with the 5" bezel on the 8.4" screen:

IMG_20190405_183610a.jpg

Certainly not the end of the world, but reinforces that I want the correct bezel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is what I think would be the issue with the 5" bezel on the 8.4" screen:

View attachment 985963

Certainly not the end of the world, but reinforces that I want the correct bezel.
This is it. The bezel is exactly the same except the ribs that are in this area. the ribs are flush with with the bezel curve and the hit the bottom 8th in. of the 8.4. trimming them down to match the curve of the bezel allows it to sit flush on the 8.4 screen. I did that swap on my 16 and you could not tell the difference. When I traded that car in the dealer could not even tell the difference.

Ron

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is it. The bezel is exactly the same except the ribs that are in this area. the ribs are flush with with the bezel curve and the hit the bottom 8th in. of the 8.4. trimming them down to match the curve of the bezel allows it to sit flush on the 8.4 screen. I did that swap on my 16 and you could not tell the difference. When I traded that car in the dealer could not even tell the difference.

Ron
Based on the picture above, it appears that the opening for the 5.0 is shorter and closer to the icons along the bottom than it would be otherwise.

This is supported by what I found when I set one radio on top of the other; the felt pad along the bottom of the 8.4 overhung the 5.0.

I am sure it works fine after removing the ribs, but I have a line on a bezel and will see how much of a difference there is if I can get my hands on it.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Spent some time and took some pictures of an 8.4" bezel and my 5" bezel.

First, here is the 8.4 on top of the 5.0 with the brackets lined up.

P1280611.JPG

P1280614.JPG

This shows that the 8.4 screen seems to be taller and hang over the bottom of where the 5.0 screen stops. As I am typing this, I realize that the data missing here is, are the alignment pins in the same spot between an 8.4 and a 5.0? If not, then lining up the slots the bezel clips into may not give any usable data.

Here are some shots of my old 5.0 bezel:

P2080631.JPG

P2080632.JPG

P2080635.JPG

P2080636.JPG

P2080637.JPG

P2080638.JPG

P2080639.JPG

P2080642.JPG

This included an attempt to capture the amount of curvature on the bezel. Just eyeballing things, the sides appear to have about 1/16" gap, the bottom was 1/8" and the top was 3/16" or so (I think).

The opening size was right about 4 7/8" tall by 6 3/4" wide.

The opening had ribs on 3 sides and no lip, so the ribs were right down to the edge of the bezel.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the 8.4 bezel.

P2080621.JPG

P2080623.JPG

P2080626.JPG

P2080627.JPG

P2080628.JPG

P2080629.JPG

P2080630.JPG

This one had a lip all the way around, the ribs didn't come all the way down to the opening, there were ribs on all 4 sides, and the opening was 4 7/8" tall by 6 5/8" wide - narrower by an 1/8".

Here is an image of my car with the 8.4 and correct bezel to compare to the image I grabbed off the web and posted above.

P2090654.JPG

Notice that the icons have a separation between them and the bottom of the bezel, unlike the image from the web.

I tried to figure out if the opening was in a different location between the two bezels but wasn't able to find a good way to measure it. I should have compared the pins that go into the screen bracket, but didn't think of it.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In summary, I think the correct bezel looks better, but I suspect it might be just be a placebo effect since I spent money on the specific bezel.

At least it is mostly documented now for anyone else that wonders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts