Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just got a 2014 Challenger SRT BASE. The radio sucks, it's my only complaint. I tried to buy the radio at the dealer, but it was 2K for just the radio, no speaker upgrade. I tried to buy a few radios on the forum, ebay, etc. Prices are really high.

Then I took a look at my 8" Galaxy tab. That thing would be AMAZING in the car. Getting the sound from the tab would be very easy (not like it was a few years ago). I did a search and found nothing in this forum.

Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more I look into getting a factory nav or aftermarket head unit, the more appealing the 8" tablet looks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this as well. I was just wondering how they would still be able to keep the steering wheel controls functional and not have the tablet take away some of the standard features of the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been thinking about doing this as well. I was just wondering how they would still be able to keep the steering wheel controls functional and not have the tablet take away some of the standard features of the car.
I checked and the Nexus 7" tab fits PERFECT. A little sanding, and it's an easy install. Getting power, getting sound, etc. are incredibly easy.

Yet, I still want to keep steering wheel controls and BT function, etc. When I find a work around, I will start my modification. I am going to make it removable so I can update and do more fun crap with it.

Believe it or not, it's 50% cheaper to install a 7" tablet into the Chally then it is to go with a used RHB nav and speaker upgrade.

I think this is going to be the first thing I do after a tune and CAI.

Pray for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, getting serious about this install. What I have found out so far

A: I can move radio back 2 to 3 inches back into the dash. This is the easiest way to get sound from tablet to speakers.

B: Bezel will require slight modification for easy install/removal

C: I can retain steering wheel controls for BT, volume, Ipod, etc.

I will start this weekend.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ha! Im actually working on this myself. I have a brand new nexus 7 im installing in place of my aftermarket head unit. Im working on the mounting system this weekend. I decided not to make it removable so im fashioning a bracket to mount in the double din opening.
The one part im still researching is how im going to run the audio out. I can use the headphone jack but that will require a line level conversion to the amp and the audio quality will be about the same as bluetooth.
The other option (for best sound quality) is to run digital audio out the usb port on the tablet. This will require digital to analog conversion as well as specialized cable to allow charging as well as audio out from a single port. I've already installed a hi-output usb charging port in place of the cigarette lighter, so i can tap that for power to the tablet. Additionally it requires modification of the operation system and kernel of the nexus tablet to direct the audio output. Honestly that part will be a breeze, I do that kind of work for a living. I had the tablet rooted, running custom rom + recovery within a few minutes of pulling out of the package. I'll flash my modified images to the tablet once im closer to getting this install wrapped up.

im running up to radio shack shortly to take a gander at some options. I've already got the tablet setup with my torque app + widgets and syncing with my bluetooth odb adapter. Im really excited for this project... The nexus screen clarity is better than you'd find on any car stereo and i can run any android app i choose as well as stream my spotify flawlessly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha! Im actually working on this myself. I have a brand new nexus 7 im installing in place of my aftermarket head unit. Im working on the mounting system this weekend. I decided not to make it removable so im fashioning a bracket to mount in the double din opening.
The one part im still researching is how im going to run the audio out. I can use the headphone jack but that will require a line level conversion to the amp and the audio quality will be about the same as bluetooth.
The other option (for best sound quality) is to run digital audio out the usb port on the tablet. This will require digital to analog conversion as well as specialized cable to allow charging as well as audio out from a single port. I've already installed a hi-output usb charging port in place of the cigarette lighter, so i can tap that for power to the tablet. Additionally it requires modification of the operation system and kernel of the nexus tablet to direct the audio output. Honestly that part will be a breeze, I do that kind of work for a living. I had the tablet rooted, running custom rom + recovery within a few minutes of pulling out of the package. I'll flash my modified images to the tablet once im closer to getting this install wrapped up.

im running up to radio shack shortly to take a gander at some options. I've already got the tablet setup with my torque app + widgets and syncing with my bluetooth odb adapter. Im really excited for this project... The nexus screen clarity is better than you'd find on any car stereo and i can run any android app i choose as well as stream my spotify flawlessly.
You are better off making it removeable. You never know when you might want to pop it out, update it, upload, etc. etc. I gave this a LOT of thought. Removeable is the way to go.

Audio out: Keep the stock head unit! Put the stock unit 2 to 4 inches back (go as deep as it'll go). Now all you need to do is run the cable from the Nexus 7 (which is exactly what I am using) in to your jack that is in your radio. I also did a ton of research on this. This will save you a preamp unit (minium $500.00 for good quality) and you get to retain most of steering wheel controls. You also get to keep the USP port in the center console. I personally didn't have a problem with sound quality, but then again I have a base SRT with the pure crap radio that sounds like ..... well... shit.

Retaining the stock unit behind the dash will allow you to run an amp flawlessly.

If I am doing something wrong, please advise.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Im definitely not interested in making it removable, for a few reasons. I really dont have any reason for needing it removable as i can manage updates or flashing firmware, kernels ect from almost my laptop or hell even my phone! If the need to remove it did come up, its as simple as removing the bezel and sliding it out.
As far as mounting it... that certainly is a good idea to move the head unit back and mount the tablet in front. I have an aftermarket stereo in there now so i'll have to see if i can in fact make enough room for that setup. I have the sound group ll audio setup from the factory (which is indeed crap) + 2 12" subs and amp in the trunk. So while audio quality is a concern for me, there is limitation how good it will be until i get around to swapping out the speakers and factory amp.
Good info! i'll keep posting on what i come up with.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Im doing an iPad mini in my challenger once my work load on a few builds im working on dies down some. I just did one on my customers 2010 Toyota 4 runner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts