Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked everywhere for a 8 rib pulley kit that will work with my KB 2.8lc and my 2010 SRT8 with little to no luck. I did find a complete kit for a Whiple Supercharger. It looks like I might be able to make the Whipple kit work with the Kenne Bell blower. Before I spend over $3000 on a kit that may or may not work. I'm wondering what other people have done to fix belt slip/break on there high boost high HP builds?

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Ran into that problem myself. Best advice I got was to take the one I had and take it to a machine shop and have one made the size I wanted. I had four made and they work like a champ. Just my fix to my problem. Just tossing it out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran into that problem myself. Best advice I got was to take the one I had and take it to a machine shop and have one made the size I wanted. I had four made and they work like a champ. Just my fix to my problem. Just tossing it out there.

When you say you had them made. Do you mean you took all of your 6 rib pullys and had them machined into 8 rib pullys? Is there enough meat on all the pullys to convert them from 6 to 8 rib? I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying. Are you running a KB supercharger?

·
Registered
80 Posts
griptec blower pulley, big ass belt tensioner (cant remember brand name but MMX has them for $500 or so) and gates rpm belt..... luckely for me i have a whipple>:) so if i ever have $3k to blow on belt slip ill cop the MMX kit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
griptec blower pulley, big ass belt tensioner (cant remember brand name but MMX has them for $500 or so) and gates rpm belt..... luckely for me i have a whipple/forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png so if i ever have $3k to blow on belt slip ill cop the MMX kit
I was looking at the Whipple kit. It looks pretty much the same as the Kenne Bell except the supercharger Drive pulley is in a different location on the Whipple on the Kenne Bell it's dead center. So if I get an 8 rib pulley from Kenne Bell that 8 rib Whipple kit should work right? The Whipple is a twin screw style blower? How much power are you making at what boost?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was looking at the Whipple kit. It looks pretty much the same as the Kenne Bell except the supercharger Drive pulley is in a different location on the Whipple on the Kenne Bell it's dead center. So if I get an 8 rib pulley from Kenne Bell that 8 rib Whipple kit should work right? The Whipple is a twin screw style blower? How much power are you making at what boost?
i dont know what the entire kenne bell set up looks like but the whipple has its own bracket that mounts to the front of the blower for two idler pulleys..... maybe different than kenne bell set up but not sure. Also whipple blower pully isnt compatible with the kenne belle so youd have to have an 8 rib blower pulley made for your blower or get one from KB. My car is running 10 pounds of boost with standard 6 rib set up and stock belt tensioner. belt slips quite a bit at aprox. 510-540 WHP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is discouraging, I can't believe how hard it is to find a simple 8 rib pulley setup for a car everyone making power adders has a kit with a tuner for. Someone would be rich if they'd offer a 8 rib pulley kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I understand what your talking about now. You actually had the pullys made from scratch using your old 6 rib for the dimensions. Smart idea! Around how much did it cost to have them made? It might just be the best idea I've heard yet. As long as it's not going to cost $3000? I know I can use the Whipple kit but it's about $1000 overpriced and I still have to get a 8 rib from KB.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The main issue is belt length Nd that is why nobody makes one. The belts used on a dodge supercharger system aka edelbrock magnuson whipple and kenne belle ( roots ) use a stupid long belt. Longer than any ford or gm. So they would have to get with gates or some belt co to make belts for that. And the window of supercharger sales for dodge is tiny at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Ok I understand what your talking about now. You actually had the pullys made from scratch using your old 6 rib for the dimensions. Smart idea! Around how much did it cost to have them made? It might just be the best idea I've heard yet. As long as it's not going to cost $3000? I know I can use the Whipple kit but it's about $1000 overpriced and I still have to get a 8 rib from KB.
Sorry, a bit to get back to you. I have a 2.3 Maggie but it uses an independent drive setup that was experimental. I was one of the test cars so there wasn't any support for it. Normal Magnuson pulley's don't work with it. They had a pulley with the kit but that was it and it was 8 rib. I took that pulley to a machine shop and had a few pulleys made in different sizes so I had something to work with. They used the design from the and just made them to size, and 8 rib. Each pulley (4) cost me $40. That was about eight years ago. Any good machine shop can do this I would imagine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2.3 Maggie but it uses an independent drive setup that was experimental. I was one of the test cars so there wasn't any support for it. Normal Magnuson pulley's don't work with it. They had a pulley with the kit but that was it and it was 8 rib. I took that pulley to a machine shop and had a few pulleys made in different sizes so I had something to work with. They used the design from the and just made them to size, and 8 rib. Each pulley (4) cost me $40. That was about eight years ago. Any good machine shop can do this I would imagine.[/QUOTE]

Very Cool! I sure do wish I was a KB test car. That kinda sounds like the HellCat setup. Very nice. Do you have any pictures of your build that I can see?

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I have a 2.3 Maggie but it uses an independent drive setup that was experimental. I was one of the test cars so there wasn't any support for it. Normal Magnuson pulley's don't work with it. They had a pulley with the kit but that was it and it was 8 rib. I took that pulley to a machine shop and had a few pulleys made in different sizes so I had something to work with. They used the design from the and just made them to size, and 8 rib. Each pulley (4) cost me $40. That was about eight years ago. Any good machine shop can do this I would imagine.
Very Cool! I sure do wish I was a KB test car. That kinda sounds like the HellCat setup. Very nice. Do you have any pictures of your build that I can see?[/QUOTE]

I don't have any of it being assembled as it was done during an overhaul but here are three pics of it installed. Hard to see much. I have got to get better ones. The pics are left to right looking down on the front of the motor.the s/c snout has a spacer pushing the belt pulley out farther and the rest of the kit is a large adapter plate with a few idlers and then around the crank with an ATI pulley. The drive belt only runs the s/c. So if the belt breaks I can still run the motor to get somewhere for help. Pretty idea but this kit really needed more R+D in my mind. But, to change it out would be a pain in the butt and when I am ready to do that I am going to switch the whole s/c out to a whipple as I am maxing out the Maggie.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't know if this helps anyone but OST Dyno just released their own 8 rib drive system for Whipple . no idea on price. info on their website

·
Registered
518 Posts
But, to change it out would be a pain in the butt and when I am ready to do that I am going to switch the whole s/c out to a whipple as I am maxing out the Maggie.
Just a heads up, be wary of Whipple. You can search for rattling noise, if it happens to you, don't expect whipple to help.

Reactions: Brucer41
1 - 16 of 16 Posts