Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of stereo talk going on in here, love it lol. I got tired of updating the other thread simply because no one seems to respond or care. So your stuck with a new one. I am always changing things and I think ultimately this will be a better suite for my system. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to fit an 8" in the door, but it was actually quite a breeze.

Cut-out two baffles yesterday... Obviously I wasn't thinking because I need 4, they need to be double baffled.

First try mounting them, the door panel fit on... does this happen? Ever? I was ecstatic to say the least.

Still have to do the other side tomorrow.

5,134 Posts
Lots of stereo talk going on in here, love it lol. I got tired of updating the other thread simply because no one seems to respond or care.
Just because people don't respond doesn't mean they don't care, or that they don't appreciate you taking the time to post this up. I know little of car audio, but watching you do your work is fascinating.

I am subscribed to the other thread, and now I'm subscribed to this one.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
nice that looked like a complete drop in install. i can't wait to build my funds up and get the green light to start tearing into this thing. im used to compact cars with holes for 4" speakers and doors that are thinner then pop cans lol.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just curious , with a build like this why not more dyna mat ?
This is an upcoming project. The deadener is only there to seal up any holes. For the record a lot of sound deadener is not needed, only 25% of the panels should be covered. You will see when I do my sound deadening project.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all fits behind the door panel with no hassles?

Imagine all the sound that now will get OUT of the panel instead of behind it.
Yup zero issues on my first try to put the panel back in, I was shocked lol.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I appreciate the work you're doing... no doubt...

A friend did his whole trunk with a sub-box, amp, etc... even had plexiglass (or whatever it was) so you could see it all... very sharp.

Show us what you got brother!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMOM - if you check my other build thread I have pictures upon pictures. Nothing crazy because I still use my use my trunk and I prefer the stock look.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is great news! I am planning to install some full body horns in my Challenger soon, and knowing an 8" woofer will fit in the door just made my day. What is the mounting depth of those drivers?

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.6" I believe. I wanted to do full bodies, they will fit. If you want when the time comes I can take some detailed pics of how I mounted them so you don't have to go the process like I did.

After playing with the MS-8 though, the only way I actually was able to get the sound centered how I wanted it was by crossing at 2k, which is high even for the minis, at 1500 I kept getting a right side bias.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I still need to play some more. I may try sitting in the center of the car and doing the calibration and drop it back down lol.

PS: I would also highly recommend a full sound deadning job when doing the 8s. My doors rattle like crazy. I tried to eliminate some of the rattle, which was successful, but the actual inner door skin needs some serious help.

5,134 Posts
How is the audio output of an 8" speaker like that, compared to what's in there stock (6x9 I presume)? More bass? Less high-end?

Remember: audio noob here. Be gentle :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It really depends on the speakers. These speakers are more meant to get loud while retaining SQ. This typically means the speaker needs to be crossed over higher (80hz with a 24dB slope is recommended. It also has a pretty flat response up to 5k. I have horns, which are basically highly advanced tweeters that can play pretty low, so my crossover is at 2khz right now and can go lower.

You can find 8s that will play very strong into the 60 and 50hz range but you sacrifice sensitivity. The trick is just to find the speaker that suites your goals.

Simple answer, yes more bass and less high end than the stock speakers.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First baffle just screwed down to the door, second baffle screwed into the first baffle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before I ask my question, let it be known that I know nothing about audio installation.

"Cut-out two baffles yesterday... Obviously I wasn't thinking because I need 4, they need to be double baffled."

First off, what is a "baffle" and do i have to cut it myself or is it something I can buy?

Second, with 2 8" on the doors, do you get just too much bass? What kind of music do you listen so we can gage how you like to listen to your music?

Is this an addition to the speakers in the rear or do you only have the 2 dash mounts, 2 8" in the doors and nothing in the rear?

I currently have the 6 disk changer and the stock speakers. I am interested in upgrading the speakers and the head unit. I was thinking of just buying the upgrade at the Dodge dealership: which the is touch screen head unit and I believe 2 front dash, 2 door, and 2 rear speakers. Any suggestions for a better sound system?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks good man. Sound good?

I did a bunch of work today as well. Finally got all the wire ran under the carpet and the seats are back in. I got to drive it today. It's been parked for 2 months. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts