Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly the 2015 Challenger will have the 8-speed automatic on all trim levels. My question is, is the 8-speed automatic better than the current 5-speed automatic? This question may be too general.

Which shifts "better"?
Which has better acceleration (from a stop and from cruising speed)?
What are your personal opinions?

2013 HO R/T Auto w/STP, SGII, Chrome 20" Wheels, 430N, Anti-Spin, Sunroof
Zoomers
Charger Intake Tube
K&N Drop-In
Tons of subtle appearance and protection mods
Fuzzy dice + 8-ball shifter!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Compared to the outgoing 5 speed, the 8 speed has more gears with closer ratios to each other, which means better acceleration, especially from a roll.

It should also return slightly better gas mileage due to taller top gear.

The only disadvantage I could see is it would potentially be more costly to fix/replace if it broke down.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It also might "hunt" a lot - continually shifting gears trying to get the best gas milage.
This can be annoying and potentally reduce daily driving responsiveness/performance.
Hopefully it will ship with something like a "sport/economy" setting.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
It also might "hunt" a lot - continually shifting gears trying to get the best gas milage.
This can be annoying and potentally reduce daily driving responsiveness/performance.
Hopefully it will ship with something like a "sport/economy" setting.
I have the 8 speed in my RAM. As mentioned, it does tend to hunt for the correct gear on occasion. But on the positive side the torque is outstanding. I don't see any difference in gas mileage between this one and the 6 speed that was in my 2012 RAM

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
These are not fun....

My wife has a 2012 Chrysler 300 with an 8 speed and I must say that it is NO FUN at all, damn thing is so smooth in the shifting department that you can't tell when it is actually shifting, you have to look at the tach to tell that it actually does have 8 gears unless they change that (i imagine that it would be the same transmission, can't seem to think that it would be any different) I would not consider the 8 speed.
Just saying..............

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Compared to the outgoing 5 speed, the 8 speed has more gears with closer ratios to each other, which means better acceleration, especially from a roll.

It should also return slightly better gas mileage due to taller top gear.

The only disadvantage I could see is it would potentially be more costly to fix/replace if it broke down.
+1 on this.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So if you paddle shifter... You have 8 gears to play with?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
It depends on how the Challenger will be geared at the axle ratio. If geared short, 1st gear will be nearly unusable, and 2nd thru 4th will become remarkably similar to 2nd and 4th in the 6-spd manual. If geared tall, 1st-4th will become remarkably similar to 1st-4th in the existing 5-spd auto.

As far as closeness of gears in the 8-spd, that is largely misconception. As far as the 1st qtr mile's worth of speed, you will still be using the same first 3-4 gears in that speed range. Basically, the advantage of extra gears doesn't really emerge until hwy speeds where that speed range (45-70 mph) is split up between 4 extra gears. The 8-spd is more about increased spread of ratios from 1st to 8th, rather than closeness of gears. 1st gear is very short, overdrive is very tall, and the other 6 gears are distributed within that range.

·
Registered
432 Posts
assuming they use the same 2.6x rear end ratio as the other 8 speed cars, which seems likely in order to maintain usuability of 1st gear, a 1/4 mile race will invoke an extra gear(4th) as opposed to the current 5 speed tranny, where you end the race in 3rd gear. Basically, 4th gear in the ZF will have a similar overall ratio as 3rd gear in the 5 speed.

Won't make a BIG difference, but could help a bit. The rpm drop going from 1st to 2nd won't be as pronounced. Most of the improved acceleration will be from a roll at near highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I had a 300S V6 with the A8 and paddle shifters and several 300 SRT8 with the A5. IMO the A8 is a better transmission in every way: it is smoother, shifts faster, it seems to know which gear is best at any given time w/o hunting, and the gears are well spaced. Going from the A8 back to the A5 made the 5-speed feel dated, unrefined and clunky by comparison.

The only issue I had with the paddle shifters is that 8 is a LOT of gears to shift sequentially. After a week or two I stopped fiddling with it and just let the smooth tranny do its job.

Although I like the A8 over the A5, I still like the M6 best. With the M6 I am the old and clunky part :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts