Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New here. Looking to do a full swap (392, trans and rear end) on a 2012. I have seen different info that says the 8 speed will not physically fit into the older body style. I'm not talking electronics. Just physically being able to swap the engine and trans package. Some say it will not clear in the tunnel, but the 8 speed looks smaller to me.
Please only reply with relevant info. I don't want to hear that a modded A5 is better or more economical.
Thanks for any helpful replies.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562538

Welcome to CT! I was curious as well. I love my '12, but it would have been nice to upgrade to the A8. The A8 has an electronic shifter, the A5 is more mechanical. To me that is a deal breaker. I'm sure you could change out the shift console, but I have no interest in doing that.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
pretty sure the A8 is much bigger and longer than the NAG, however we have never compared the two, tuning and programming will also be a significant issue, sometime maybe cheaper to trade vehicle, anything can be done with enough money, but is it worth it????
Luke

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The link in post 2 is what I've been searching for for weeks. 99% of posts say it will not fit and the trans tunnel will require modification. The 8 speed is way narrower. There are a couple companies out there selling complete engine and trans dropouts with all vehicle and engine harnesses and ECUs with matching dashes. It'll cost in the neighborhood of $15k. I already know that the dashboard will swap in also.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Far easier to just buy the car already done. There is no gain by going to all that expense and time to get no where ahead of a stock 15,16 or 17 with that setup.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
When I fried my second Nag1 (not a stock trans by any means, Arrington Comp. 3) I inquired about putting in a A8 (from a Hellcat) from my contact at Arrington and he said "no way" just won't fit/work. Like someone said in a previously post if you have enough money I guess you could make it work. Instead I went with the SHR Viking Nag1 that is suppose to take anything you can throw at it. So far so good. Shifts are very firm/hard/quick. Something that we could not dream of back in the day!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Far easier to just buy the car already done. There is no gain by going to all that expense and time to get no where ahead of a stock 15,16 or 17 with that setup.
Exactly

·
Registered
110 Posts
The days of swapping drive trains are long over, Frames are built to fit that trans only, Computer systems know the parts they are connected to, Engine cradles are welded for the engine that was born with the car. Not the 60's anymore. Not the modification you can do in a home garage anymore.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't seem that way according to post 2. I put a compete 2010 interior in my 06 300 when it was "impossible." $15k and a couple weekends is not too bad at all for a tired, old V6 car.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
FYI Other than Parking Cable The A5 is 100% Electronic
I understand both trannys are electronically shifted, but are the shifters interchangeable?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
It is all the problems that you will run into after you spend 15K on the parts that would worry me. The floor pan was changed in 15 for the A8, so like others have said, look for a 15 or 16 and trade up. It probably won't cost any more than doing the swap and save you a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The link in post 2 is what I've been searching for for weeks. 99% of posts say it will not fit and the trans tunnel will require modification. The 8 speed is way narrower. There are a couple companies out there selling complete engine and trans dropouts with all vehicle and engine harnesses and ECUs with matching dashes. It'll cost in the neighborhood of $15k. I already know that the dashboard will swap in also.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
"a modded A5 is better or more economical."

I couldn't resist! >:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts