Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So way back in the 80s when I was young, I had a Ford EXP. I've always looked back on that car and regretted getting rid of it.

I have tossed around the idea of picking one up if the opportunity presented itself. Well, I came across one that wasn't in horrible shape so I picked it up. It does need some work, and I need a hobby so I figured what the heck.

I know that they are slow, and look funky and aren't really collectible, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Maybe you guys had a car in your past that you've regretted getting rid of.....well this is mine....whether it makes sense or not.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts
If it makes you happy! Heck, some people put mustard on french fries. To each their own! :)

A Guy

P.S. Black :thumbsup: Lol

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
Reminds me of the plymouth horizon.

This from a guy who bought an 85 fiero in 2001 and still owns it. Although it is at the end of the driveway covered by tarp like the camaro in Better Off Dead since 2010.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Funny, you have been looking for one and I don't remember them. LOL!!! That is all on me, not you. The 80s were not real good for me...... I remember the 85 Bears.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
So way back in the 80's when I was young I had a Ford EXP. I've always looked back on that car and regretted getting rid of it.

I have tossed around the idea of picking one up if the opportunity presented itself.
Well, I came across one that wasn't in horrible shape so I picked it up.
It does need some work, and I need a hobby so I figured what the heck.

I know that they are slow, and look funky and aren't really collectible, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Maybe you guys had a car in your past that you've regretted getting rid of.....well this is mine....whether it makes sense or not.
The "frog eyes" I remember them well...at least its not in that bright metallic green they had available.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mine is my 1971 Javelin. Bone stock 304 V-8 3AT. with 210 HP. Didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way, but it sure was cool and different looking. The photo below isn't mine, but mine looked almost exactly like this (sans the SST hood) and including blue color, the jelly-bean slotted mags and white lettered tires (G60-14 on the rear, F-70 14 on the front). I couldn't afford headers, so when the exhaust rusted off, I hack-sawed the y-pipe, and clamped up a pair of thrush Mufflers along either side of the transmission. Went to the local muffler shop and had a pair if exhaust pipes bend (straight back from the mufflers, 45 degree bend, and they came out right behind the doors, and in front of the rear tires. Barely legal. Jacked up the back by buying coil-spring load extenders for the shocks, jacked up the rear bumper to extend the shocks, and clamped the springs halfway down the shock (instead of at the top). When the 3AT was destroyed (about a year after I got it), I dropped a Borg-Warner T-10 out of a '69 AMX in it. Kept the original rearend, witch was the wrong rear-end for that tranny, so I had nothing off the line, but it was still fun to drive and shift (Hurst Competition Plus with the T-Handle). Sounded good, looked good, and it was the only Javelin in my small Western PA town at the time.

I burned the clutch out right before I went to USAF basic training and I sold the car to pay for some phone bills I racked up calling my girlfriend from basic training and Air Force Tech School.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here's a couple of mine that I regret selling. Wish I had them back now!

1980 Pontiac Sunbird modified w/Supercharged Magnuson Kenne-Bell equipped Buick V-6 and a 1972 Mercury Capri 2600 V6 that I modified and painted myself in my buddies garage back in the late '70's. I always like my cars to be different than the other guys! Had tons of fun going to car shows and cruise nights with them. I actually owned both at the same time for a number of years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------//-----

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Funny, you have been looking for one and I don't remember them. LOL!!! That is all on me, not you. The 80s were not real good for me...... I remember the 85 Bears.
Richard Dent, Micheal Dean Perry (aka The Fridge), Dan Hampton, Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Walter Payton and the funky QB Jim McMahon.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
494 Posts
If it makes you happy go for it my regret is selling my 71 340 duster.. Had it all nice and the way I wanted it and with kids on the way it had to go. some how I wish I would have figured a way to keep it.. Your picture looks like your in my area of Sterling Hgts. I'm near lakeside mall

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts
Nope, just the Challenger :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Nope, just the Challenger :)

A Guy
Oh no, I misunderstood. At least you still got great pictures. I only say that because I have had a 71 442, 67 camaro and a couple 73 GP's and a few nice bikes. I have 1 picture of poor quality of a bike. Still...... I thought you still had her.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I was a teen in the 80s and cars had character back then. We had 60s-70s-80s cars. Yeah, they all were not all the fastest from the factory but we made them fast. They all looked liked they could have been in a Mad Max movie. Sure sucked when we went to the gas station tho but so what now we pay in taxes for people who don't want to work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Loved my 75 Dodge Dart. Hand me down from the grandparents since I had no money. Had it through HS them had to sell it to help pay for college. Loved that car though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I was a teen in the 80s and cars had character back then. We had 60s-70s-80s cars. Yeah, they all were not all the fastest from the factory but we made them fast. They all looked liked they could have been in a Mad Max movie. Sure sucked when we went to the gas station tho but so what now we pay in taxes for people who don't want to work.
Yes, bottom line...... we pay. So, we got something out of it for once!!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I cant even tell you the last time I saw an EXP on the road, it has to have been 10 years or more.
I test drove a new one back in 86 or 87. Tried to have a little fun and speed shift from first to second and the shifter pulled up out of the console, boot intact. I managed to pop it back in to get it back to the lot. I recall that at the time the dealership was running a his and hers sale, with an EXP and a Ranger, both for $18K.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts