Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challeger Scat Pack 6M Frostbite
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my Scat Pack. I've already installed a CAI, a catch can and strut braces. This spring I'll be working on the exhaust. Right now I'm interested in upgrading my TB. From general consensus here, it seems that a 90mm TB is overkill. My question: is there any significant gain to be had with going to an 87mm over an 85mm TB? They're priced virtually the same.

I thank everyone for the sound advice in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Getting the engine to breathe better certainly is a good place to start with mods and upgrades. I sent my stock TB out to be opened up and port matched the the intake itself, then did the exhaust (JBA titanium coated shortys, Flowmaster 40s, catless mids, and resonator deletes). Got the engine and tranny tuned and it really woke the car up. So much so that I have to put off my cam mod in favor of upgrading the differential to limited slip cuz I cant keep the rear from breaking loose. I would stay away from the 90mm TB, like u say its overkill. The 87mm sounds like the better deal if the price is the same as an 85mm and will give u "room to grow" should you continue adding mods (cam, long tubes, etc). Just my thoughts, have fun with the mods, they're addictive!

·
Registered
2020 Challeger Scat Pack 6M Frostbite
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting the engine to breathe better certainly is a good place to start with mods and upgrades. I sent my stock TB out to be opened up and port matched the the intake itself, then did the exhaust (JBA titanium coated shortys, Flowmaster 40s, catless mids, and resonator deletes). Got the engine and tranny tuned and it really woke the car up. So much so that I have to put off my cam mod in favor of upgrading the differential to limited slip cuz I cant keep the rear from breaking loose. I would stay away from the 90mm TB, like u say its overkill. The 87mm sounds like the better deal if the price is the same as an 85mm and will give u "room to grow" should you continue adding mods (cam, long tubes, etc). Just my thoughts, have fun with the mods, they're addictive!
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
220 Posts
I would look into porting the Intake and or getting Longtube headers first, the stock TB should flow plenty and not be an HP restriction

·
Registered
235 Posts
The stock throttle body is a choke point above 6k RPMs on the 392 Hemi. If you are going above 6k RPM, I suggest upgrading to a Fastman 84MM throttle body.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The intake inlet needs to be ported to, or slightly larger than the TB to achiev any gains. It is limited in how large you can port it.
When I was porting for an 85mm actual TB, I ported the inlet to 87mm and there was almost no lip left to support the "O" ring.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Ok I'll give u a scientific answer that's dumbed down. The stock 80mm TB flows enough cfm to support 750hp before becoming an kind of a restriction. I've done the math. The 90mm supports ~900hp. Skip the throttle body and get long tube headers. That's the only bolt on that's worth the money on a 392. At least as far as engine bolt ons go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with JD on that 1.. the 392 already has the active runner intake, which in itself is good for an extra 10 to 15hp at the top of the rev band. LT headers, high flow or catless mids (depending what state u live in), and a PCM/TCM tune will make a huge diff over the stock setup..

And of course the Fast man work is always good..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts