Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 2016 SP - very cool - and have been enjoying the dickens out of it. However, it wasn't long before an unsettling gremlin raised it's ugly head. At random times such as right after startup or when driving down the road, the radio would flash a warning message: "9-1-1 Phone Needs Service, please contact your dealer." Well, I didn't try 911 but my phone works just fine with everyone else I have called from the car.

I took it in for service and there is a TSB on it. The dealer wound up replacing the radio. The interface was now a pretty blue but I discovered that it was missing some features as I drove in to work. No more voice recognition. The automatic climate control was gone, replaced by simple temp sliders and a fan speed control and some other minor stuff. I made an appointment to bring it back in but when I got into the car that afternoon to go back home, everything was back including the fire-engine orange interface color. Well, that was weird... Unfortunately, also returning was the "Phone needs service" message. :smiley35:

The dealer needs to keep my car for a day, download a bunch of logs and enlist the help of a special Dodge "STAR" team (whatever that is) to troubleshoot the problem.

Other than the error popping up randomly everything seems to work and it is really just an annoyance. Has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is how my issue started. Had the radio replaced and the back up camera quit working. Became a huge ordeal to get the problem fixed. No one from dodge would listen. I said from the start that the radio was the issue. Had to jump through so many hoops for them to take care of it. Had several days where I had to take time off of work to get it to the dealer. Finally after several months they finally replaced the radio again and that fixed the issue. You will not get a new radio it is refurbished. The case manager I had only wanted to give me a few oil changes for all my problems I had with them. That was not acceptable since I would have to take time off work to take it to get the oil changed. I would be losing money if I did that and I change my own oil anyways. He didn't care, and at exactly 4:30 he ended the call. Must have been quitting time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your radio goes blue after being replaced (or after replacing battery, etc), cycling the ignition off then on again usually solves that problem. I have the same issue when making changes to the features unlocked by my Tazer and having to unplug the radio fuse after rebooting the system. If it stays blue after that, then you would have to call Sirius to get them to push a radio reset.

As to your phone service issue, my best guess is that they need to replace your antenna unit. While it may be strong enough for radio use, the cell phone may require a slightly stronger signal. Doing a quick search on the web I found that replacing radios has been hit or miss, further leading me to believe it's an antenna issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your responses…
Yeah, my service manager has actually been pretty straightwith me. He said that there are no newradios – all are refurbished and it’s up to the technician doing the refurbishingas to how good the replacement will be. He said that if a radio comes in with 5 issues the tech may only fix 4before putting it back into circulation. He said it could take several replacements to get one that isright. Fortunately, it goes quick. I’m there first thing in the morning and thenwait on it – only takes 30 minutes or so…
The antenna unit is an interesting idea. My radio reception seems to be variable. I have a station here in Austin, TX that Ilike to listen to on my way in to work, mainly because the DJ chickie has a drop-deadsexy British accent. My commute musttake me to the range limit as on rare occasions a Latino station bleeds overand it’s machine gun Spanish and mariachi music for 10 or 15 minutes until mypreferred station comes back (for the record, my Puerto Rican g.f. will attestthat I am totally down with brown).
I’m going to send the service manager a link to this threadso that he can check out the information. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,819 Posts
The 9-1-1 uses the cellular data connection (Vehicle Phone), the same that OTA updates use if I am correct.

https://www.driveuconnect.com/uconnect-access-psap.html

Page 2 here:

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/uconnect/Uconnect.911Call.pdf

9-1-1 Call System Limitations
Vehicles sold in Canada and Mexico DO NOT have 9-1-1 Call system capabilities. 9-1-1
or other emergency line operators in Canada and Mexico may not answer or respond
to 9-1-1 system calls. If the 9-1-1 Call system detects a malfunction, any of the
following may occur at the time the malfunction is detected.
• The Rearview Mirror light will continuously be illuminated red
The screen will display the following message “Vehicle phone requires service.
Please contact your dealer.”

• An In-Vehicle Audio message will state “Vehicle phone requires service. Please
contact your dealer.”
Even if the 9-1-1 Call system is fully functional, factors beyond Chrysler Group LLC’s control
may prevent or stop 9-1-1 Call system operation. These include, but are not limited to, the
following factors:
 The ignition key has been removed from the ignition and the delayed accessories
mode is active
 The ignition key is in OFF position
 The vehicle’s electrical systems are not intact
 The 9-1-1 Call system software and/or hardware is damaged during a crash
 The vehicle battery loses power or becomes disconnected during a vehicle crash
 Wireless and/or Global Positioning Satellite signals are unavailable or obstructed
 Equipment malfunction at the 9-1-1 operator facility
 Operator error by the 9-1-1 operator
 Wireless network congestion
 Weather
 Buildings, structures, geographic terrain, or tunnels
If your vehicle loses battery power for any reason (including during or after an accident)
the 9-1-1 Call System, among other vehicle systems, will not operate.
Info for your dealer if they are interested

What update version are you on? It may just be an update issue. The Sirius/GPS antenna, or connection are other possibilities. I think the Jeep people has this issue? Are you registered with Uconnect do you know?

A Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts