Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Mopar week in Myrtle Beach tomorrow and I'm running a 93 octane canned tune. I need to know if I need to tune down to 91 octane or not. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
SC is a 93octane state...found pretty much at any of your larger gas stations, don't expect the 2 or 3 pump station in the middle of nowhere to have it tho, they normally have 87 and 89 then diesel, or 87 and off road and diesel

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i just come back from there, i hate myrtle beach, never going back there again,and yes there is 93 all over the place....

·
Registered
212 Posts
are you coming in thru conway (Highway 501), North Myrtle Beach (Highway 9 then 17), Georgetown (Highway 17) or taking the conway bypass (Highway 22)?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interstate until SC327 then 3rd ave for 60 miles

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Octane rating seems to be an altitude thing. I've been all over the country (I've literally driven through all 48 contiguous states) and it seems to be the high altitude areas, like Rocky Mountain states, that have 91 octane instead of 93, no doubt because the thinner air is less prone to spark knock.

I've been vacationing at Myrtle beach for over 25 years and love it. Best to avoid the Bike Weeks, though. Also, 93 octane is available all over in that area (low altitude).

Bill

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah, I live an hour away. Everything is 93 around NC or SC. You will have trouble finding 91. One thing though, there are some gas stations in SC where you will see prices a good bit lower than others. These will be more percent ethanol (20%) than the others. I won't buy it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If your going to run the 93 tune then IMO you should run a 100 octane mix with 93 and if you run the 91 tune then you might get away with 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
QT's have 93 in South Carolina......Most everyone has 92 or 93. (92 won't knock)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts