Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find the gas my new Scat Pack likes best so I tried this. First tank I put in it was Shell 93 Octane V-Power Nitro 10% Ethanol. Of course, car ran good, no complaints.
Second tank switched to Pure Station 93 Octane Pure Gas (no Ethanol). The car seems to like this better. Butt dyno says slightly improved acceleration and faster revving. Engine also seems somewhat smoother as it winds up the RPM scale.
Is it just me or could the removal of the Ethanol really have a "noticeable" difference?

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
First, if you have access to a dyno and can use it just for testing gasoline - I’m jealous!
Secondly, most people (without dynos) do a seat-of-the-pants comparison. I find that my car seems to run better with 93 vs 91 (we have a home in an area with mostly 91 octane) but some people say they can’t tell.
As a person who: A. lives in the corn belt and B. Was a farmer myself, I have no problems with ethanol. Cleaner burning, uses natural resources, and probably keeps a cleaner engine.
HOWEVER - you have to evaluate what your tests and own senses tell you. I’m sure there will be other opinions...

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, if you have access to a dyno and can use it just for testing gasoline - I’m jealous!
Secondly, most people (without dynos) do a seat-of-the-pants comparison. I find that my car seems to run better with 93 vs 91 (we have a home in an area with mostly 91 octane) but some people say they can’t tell.
As a person who: A. lives in the corn belt and B. Was a farmer myself, I have no problems with ethanol. Cleaner burning, uses natural resources, and probably keeps a cleaner engine.
HOWEVER - you have to evaluate what your tests and own senses tell you. I’m sure there will be other opinions...
Thanks but look closely at my post. I am using the "butt dyno". Wish I had access to a real one! LOL! That's why I wanted opinions because it may just be me.
I am no Scientist, However, if I understand it correctly, Ethanol is a clean fuel but to equal the stored energy of pure Gasoline it takes more of it. But you add all the computers and sensors in these new engines and I am lost. I am from the lost era of CID, fuel, compression, spark and timing = HP. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Secondly, most people (without dynos) do a seat-of-the-pants comparison.
That would be the butt dyno

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
91 Pure is available in my area, and I've been using it for a long time.

Smoother idle, engine pulls a little better, and 1.5 - 2 mpg increase with Pure 91.

Data logged my previous Challenger, and knock numbers were more favorible with 91 Pure.

So, I use it too.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
91 Pure is available in my area, and I've been using it for a long time.

Smoother idle, engine pulls a little better, and 1.5 - 2 mpg increase with Pure 91.

Data logged my previous Challenger, and knock numbers were more favorible with 91 Pure.

So, I use it too.
Good data. And I'm able to get 93. Think I'll stick with it. The "Blue Beast" likes it! :cool:

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
With my 2011 SXT I'm running 89 Non Ethanol Better Response , Smoother Idle, and increased Fuel MPG. It cost a tad more but I dont have to fuel up as much so its a plus.
WAWA's sells is and they are everywhere around here...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for posting the Pure-Gas,org list 19Johned53 (y)
Non ethanol, unless I am going to burn through it , and it would probably be top Tier costco gas , if I am down in NC>
I use the 'Pure ' brand non ethanol. Not an issue in the Jeeps or the Lexus, and the Challenger has had 'Pure' ever since we brought it home to VA from NJ.
Its good, you can't go wrong with 'Pure' non-alcohol 'Sct Pk 9 Man' . It doesn't draw moisture as much as ethanol based gasoline.
Best regards
parrott

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
Thanks for posting the Pure-Gas,org list 19Johned53 (y)
Non ethanol, unless I am going to burn through it , and it would probably be top Tier costco gas , if I am down in NC>
I use the 'Pure ' brand non ethanol. Not an issue in the Jeeps or the Lexus, and the Challenger has had 'Pure' ever since we brought it home to VA from NJ.
Its good, you can't go wrong with 'Pure' non-alcohol 'Sct Pk 9 Man' . It doesn't draw moisture as much as ethanol based gasoline.
Best regards
parrott

You bet. It's handy to see if it's even available in your area, or on a planned road trip.

I'm lucky as I have it available in my rural area. I can actually use pure from MO to the Rockies with Pure stops available the entire trip.

Handy site to look at.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
887 Posts
Just looked at the Pure gas sites near me and they are all marinas so I guess by default I will have to continue to use the good old 93 with ethanol. Next road trip I will have to see if I can try it. That way Satan can see what he is missing😈

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Premium is expensive as it is, ethanol free I think is breaking $4/gallon here. Never noticed a big enough difference (or any difference) to justify the cost.

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
Ah - I skimmed the original post too quickly and read it as “But dyno...” Thought maybe spell check or something. Lots of good comments. I agree with Moparrebel that the difference isn’t significant enough to me to justify the cost. Sam’s Club has the best price on premium in our area - about .50 lower than other gas stations which really jack up the price to stick it to people with nice cars! I’ve seen premium as high as .90 over regular before! Lastly, for at least 2 decades, modern cars have had anti-knock sensors to adjust timing to deal with lower octane. You wouldn’t notice it in normal driving; only under WOT and then it would only manifest as less power.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Trying to find the gas my new Scat Pack likes best so I tried this. First tank I put in it was Shell 93 Octane V-Power Nitro 10% Ethanol. Of course, car ran good, no complaints.
Second tank switched to Pure Station 93 Octane Pure Gas (no Ethanol). The car seems to like this better. Butt dyno says slightly improved acceleration and faster revving. Engine also seems somewhat smoother as it winds up the RPM scale.
Is it just me or could the removal of the Ethanol really have a "noticeable" difference?
If you notice a difference and if other factors work in favor of using ethanol free then continue to use it.

After decades of living in CA I moved away from CA and my new location has stations offering 91 ethanol free. I tried this in my Hellcat, and my M-B van -- both require 91 -- and noticed no difference. The octane is 91 regardless of the amount of ethanol.

So far my new Scat Pack has had nothing but 91 ethanol free gasoline its nearly 3K miles of use. A nearby station sells 91 ethanol free and its prices are low, although there is one brand of gasoline station (Casey's) which sells 91 with ethanol at the same price, so I always fill up at the station and get 91 ethanol free.

I will mention that there might be a difference between 93 with ethanol vs. 93 with no ethanol. Even though the octane ratings are the same the BTU content is less for the gasoline with ethanol.

Also, you have to consider staleness. 93 probably doesn't get bought all that often and between 2 stations offering 93, one with ethanol and one without, I'd hazard a guess the one offering 93 with no ethanol probably moves the gasoline before it has a chance to go stale.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unless your car sits for long periods (months) without being run, the ethanol is not a problem. Old cars and bikes with carbs are better off with non-ethanol but a modern car is actually designed to run on 10-15% ethanol. The ethanol is helpful in keeping the combustion chambers clean. If you've ever seen an engine run on pure ethanol or even E85, they look spotlessly clean and new inside. On the brand thing- the EPA dictates what the base gasoline stock must contain. Shell, Chevron, etc add some of their own stuff, but it's doubtful it matters anymore. It's actually hard to buy gas that isn't tier 1 anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With my 2011 SXT I'm running 89 Non Ethanol Better Response , Smoother Idle, and increased Fuel MPG. It cost a tad more but I dont have to fuel up as much so its a plus.
WAWA's sells is and they are everywhere around here...
Best thing is the Pure Station gas is $3.24 gallon. The Shell Ethanol is $3.59 gallon. (Thanks a hell of allot current administration. Up a $1.50 since these geniuses took over). So I save some $ to boot!

Yep, Pure Station I go to is right there on the map. Thanks.

Premium is expensive as it is, ethanol free I think is breaking $4/gallon here. Never noticed a big enough difference (or any difference) to justify the cost.
As I posted. Ethanol free is cheaper here than Shell Moonshine.

Moonshine (even if you call it ethanol) belongs in a mason jar sitting around a campfire. NOT in the gas tank of your car!!!!!
Mmmmmm. Now you're talkin'. Did I mention I'm in Alabama?

Ah - I skimmed the original post too quickly and read it as “But dyno...” Thought maybe spell check or something. Lots of good comments. I agree with Moparrebel that the difference isn’t significant enough to me to justify the cost. Sam’s Club has the best price on premium in our area - about .50 lower than other gas stations which really jack up the price to stick it to people with nice cars! I’ve seen premium as high as .90 over regular before! Lastly, for at least 2 decades, modern cars have had anti-knock sensors to adjust timing to deal with lower octane. You wouldn’t notice it in normal driving; only under WOT and then it would only manifest as less power.
" as less power"
Blasphemy said all Muscle Car people! :cry:

If you notice a difference and if other factors work in favor of using ethanol free then continue to use it.

After decades of living in CA I moved away from CA and my new location has stations offering 91 ethanol free. I tried this in my Hellcat, and my M-B van -- both require 91 -- and noticed no difference. The octane is 91 regardless of the amount of ethanol.

So far my new Scat Pack has had nothing but 91 ethanol free gasoline its nearly 3K miles of use. A nearby station sells 91 ethanol free and its prices are low, although there is one brand of gasoline station (Casey's) which sells 91 with ethanol at the same price, so I always fill up at the station and get 91 ethanol free.

I will mention that there might be a difference between 93 with ethanol vs. 93 with no ethanol. Even though the octane ratings are the same the BTU content is less for the gasoline with ethanol.

Also, you have to consider staleness. 93 probably doesn't get bought all that often and between 2 stations offering 93, one with ethanol and one without, I'd hazard a guess the one offering 93 with no ethanol probably moves the gasoline before it has a chance to go stale.
Yeah, our local race track is right by the Pure station. Allot of the drivers gas up their cars there so no problem with stale gas. So close to my house I can hear the cars on the track from my back deck. Sat out there last night with a hand rolled cigar and "three fingers" of Kentucky's best and listened to em' go at it! Good livin'!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Even though the octane ratings are the same the BTU content is less for the gasoline with ethanol.
Rockster hit the nail on the head. Ethanol has a lower btu content than neet gasoline. You can compute the difference between E10 and E0. It's a small difference at that level and hardly noticeable but some folks do.

It all comes down to cost. Around here E0 is LOTS more expensive than the corn-gas and much harder to find, so it's more economical to run the E10. Since our vehicles are not flex-fuel, they don't have alcohol content sensors in the fuel system so the ECM can tell what's in it. And, the ECM doesn't care how many btu's are in the fuel, only that it's the correct octane for the programmed fuel and timing maps.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rockster hit the nail on the head. Ethanol has a lower btu content than neet gasoline. You can compute the difference between E10 and E0. It's a small difference at that level and hardly noticeable but some folks do.

It all comes down to cost. Around here E0 is LOTS more expensive than the corn-gas and much harder to find, so it's more economical to run the E10. Since our vehicles are not flex-fuel, they don't have alcohol content sensors in the fuel system so the ECM can tell what's in it. And, the ECM doesn't care how many btu's are in the fuel, only that it's the correct octane for the programmed fuel and timing maps.
Weird, E0 is cheaper here. I'll stay with it and be grateful!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts