Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual say to burn 91 octane with an M6. Where I live i can only get 93 octane. Members have said get a 93 octane tune.
So, I'm asking what's involved in a 93 octane tune?
what if I don't?
Where do I take it to have the tune etc. etc.
The car is a 2013 R/T 5.7L
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The manual say to burn 91 octane with an M6. Where I live i can only get 93 octane. Members have said get a 93 octane tune.
So, I'm asking what's involved in a 93 octane tune?
what if I don't?
Where do I take it to have the tune etc. etc.
The car is a 2013 R/T 5.7L
Thanks.
The easiest option is to Get a Diablo tuner and load their canned 93 octane tune.

Tune or not, I would stick with 93 octane as the manual cars can be plagued by spark knock due to engine lug in the upper gears.

Reactions: acermanco

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
Running 93 octane is not an issue to worry about. Get a tune if you plan on racing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts
Running 93 octane without a tune won't cause any issues. You'd get a 93 octane tune if you wanted to take advantage of the 93 octane. A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,982 Posts
While the engine won't be able to take advantage of 93 octane it won't hurt anything to use 93 octane. The problem with using a higher grade of octane than the engine can take advantage of is it wastes money. One is paying 10 cents a gallon (or more) for the extra octane.

But if 91 octane is not available then 93 it is.

Speaking for myself I would not get a 93 "tune" nor would I attempt to play a mad scientist and try to blend up some hybrid 91 octane by mixing 93 and some lower octane grade of gasoline. Life's too short. When I pull into a station I just want to fill up the gas tank with as little time spent doing so as possible.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Just put the 93 in and be done with it. Special tune for it? Na, don't bother even if racing. It can run 89 with no problem as there are knock sensors on the block and should a hint of knock be detected, it will pull ignition to be OK with the gas. There are a heck of a lot of M6 cars driving around on "regular" all over the country. Use what Dodge says to use and you will be fine. As others have said, no problem using a higher number, it simply costs more.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Do some datalogging for Knock Retard. You may find even with 93 you have Knock Retard. My 2009 6.1 auto had Knock Retard in hot weather even when running 93. Also different brands of 93 had different amounts of Knock Retard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts