Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as everyone who has an R/T and a Predator knows, the 5.7 badly needs a Diablosport Predator performance tune to wake it up. And oh, my does it wake it up now. I just got mine out of the garage last week and updated the latest tune file from Diablosport to my tuner and then loaded it into the car with the added new feature of a throttle boost option which I increased a mere 10% (out of a possible 20%). The difference between the stock factory tune and this new tune, forget it. No comparison at all. Today I was doing 30mph and after the engine was warmed up I gunned it and had wheelspin followed by being slingshot down the road at 80mph a very few seconds later. The low end torque in my R/T with the 93CAI tune and the other mods I've done now feels just about on par with my buddies '08 SRT8 Challenger and the top end seems a bit more powerful and aggressive than his 100% stocker ride. Stop after stop the car starts going sideways with just a little bit extra foot in it. There seems to be with the latest 9r28 tune over the 9r23 tune more low end grunt, more useable midrange power and maybe a tad more top end. I'm also running the tune with the MDS off and the shift firmness increased. And it was like 40 degrees out today. My wife's reaction to driving it today was like "Hey our Mustang ('07 GT) never ran like this. This is crazy!" After today I don't think she'll miss her beloved 'Stang as much anymore.:)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Have you had or seen an RT with a 9r27 93 tune in it? That's what I have and was wondering if it's worth replaceing it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
this is awesome news! thanks for the heads up. think the 6 speeds will benefit too?

·
Banned
262 Posts
The shift firmness feature has never worked on the R/T's.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
The shift firmness feature has never worked on the R/T's.
x2! I think chirping the gears when shifting is more due to the change in torque management.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Shift firmness makes a differance in just everyday normal shifting in my R/T. Not WOT but part throttle shifting is noticeably more firm. Also according to Diablo, there is no tune changes from crom 27 to 28. Just internal Predator software changes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shift firmness makes a differance in just everyday normal shifting in my R/T. Not WOT but part throttle shifting is noticeably more firm. Also according to Diablo, there is no tune changes from crom 27 to 28. Just internal Predator software changes.
It may very well be that there's no tune difference between the 9r27 and 9r28. I never had the 9r27 tune, my Predator came loaded last spring with the 9r23b crom and worked from day one untill I had to take the car in for a safety recall and they reflashed my PCM. So I went straight from the 9r23b tune to the 9r28 and did notice a difference. As far as the throttle boost feature, when you select the performance tune (after updating to 9r28) and accept it you get to the next screen that says install diablo tune and under that it says modify tune and you select modify tune and scroll down and you'll see the throttle boost option near the bottom. There you move the arrow up or down starting at zero boost and this is where I increased to 10%. As far as the shift firm, it works in the automatic R/Ts very nicely IMO, especially at WOT and also it's more noticeable in autostick mode.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Read this thread regarding the shift firmness,even Diablo confirms it is not supported on the R/T's yet it is on the menu settings.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/predator-disappointment-48663/
They are talking about the RAISED SHIFT POINTS not the shift firmness. The shift firmness does work. At least it does on mine. They still cannot do raised shift points because the parameters do not work from the PCM. They still cannot talk to the TCM so no go on the raised shift points. As far as the "throttle boost" goes, I know what that is and dont really need to use that. I like my throttle sensitivity right where its at stock.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read this thread regarding the shift firmness,even Diablo confirms it is not supported on the R/T's yet it is on the menu settings.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/predator-disappointment-48663/

First things first, this guy got it right,(from the thread you gave)

Walaby

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews, 100%

I just tried it on my 2010 R/T (auto). You are correct, I could not adjust it through "quick adjust". However, I was able to adjust the transmission shifting firmness through the modify tune menu. You can do this even if the tune is already loaded in the PCM.

Plug in pred,
select Diablo tunes,
select the tune that is currently loaded (in my case, 93 CAI),
select modify tune,
then, I think, adjust parameters,
then transmission,
and finally transmission shift firmness

Once you increase shift firmness, it will change it in the PCM, you don't have to reload the whole tune again.

Shift point adjustment is not supported for 09 and above 5.7's... just shift firmness. Not sure about the other items you asked about.

Oh, and Im on v.23

I did it this same way on my 09 R/T auto last year.

Hope it helps

Mike
Bully Cold Air Intake
3G Customz covers - body color
Body color calipers
Solo Performance Cat Back Exhaust

Last edited by Walaby; 12-09-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Secondly from DiabloMike:

12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
DiabloMike

Supporting Vendor

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Here's the deal...09-10 cars do not support raising the shift points, we tried and tried, and none of the commands available to do it would work in these cars, thus those options were removed. Not much that can be done about this until we have the ability to talk to the TCM.

Thanks

Follow us on Twitter!
Check us out on Face Book!
Subscribe to our You Tube channel!
Trinity Info!

Diablo says you cant change shift points. That has nothing to do with increased shift firmness which is supported under the Modify Tune section. I drove most of last summer without the shift firmness increased and when I did increase it through a Predator tune I noticed straight away that the car was shifting harder, chirping the tires between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd gear where it had never done before I'd increased the shift firmness. It just plain works in my 2010 R/T that's all I know for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shift firmness does work on my 2010 R/T also. With the "increased" firmness selected I can get some pretty major wheel spin when she shifts in to 2nd. Now if the $%$! thing would let me turn traction control completely off and quit shifting into 2nd when it starts spinning in 1st. It's embarrassing to punch it, hear a little squeal, then have it drop in to 2nd gear at 15MPH.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The shiftfirmness does indeed wrk, but it isn't really doing anything related to the trans as they cant talk to the TCM. It is just removing torque management on the shift giving the feeling of a better shift. Well, i guess it actually is a better shift, but it isn't because the trans is doing anything different.

I have heard the booster works good by some members and some say it doesn't do much. I probably won't move to r28 as I will have to have my custome tunes redone since 28 updates the calid to AD version now and I have AC.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Pythonman...i cant get a straight answer on the diablosport forum...but did you download that from their download page or did you have someone send you the 9r28"l" version which i see mentioned as well?

thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pythonman...i cant get a straight answer on the diablosport forum...but did you download that from their download page or did you have someone send you the 9r28"l" version which i see mentioned as well?

thanks
BigDaddy, I got the straight up 9r28 version off the Dsport download page. This is the first time I've had to update my predator, thx to a dealer reflashing my pcm (during a safety recall service) from having the AC calid to the AD calid. The only guidance I got from Diablo was from the DCX Calibration pdf link on their website then it was a matter of plugging in the predator to the usb port, having to run the little cd that came with the U778 cable to get the drivers or whatever to link up, then the I was asked to update the calibration and I said yes and then I downloaded the 9r28crom. From there I was able to install the tunes again into my R/T and after I found out about the Throttle Boost option from another thread two days later I plugged the Predator back into my car and found it under Modify Tune and raised it 10%. I'm sort of suprised that Diablosport appears to have only half released the Throttle Boost feature if that's the case. I'm following the queries at the DS Dodge Gas forum this morning, waiting as you and others are to find out more info from Mikel on the subject. It looks like the 9r28l version is something DS sends out but is not listed and may fix the lack of throttle boost for those who aren't getting it with the regular 9r28crom for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
BigDaddy, I got the straight up 9r28 version off the Dsport download page. This is the first time I've had to update my predator, thx to a dealer reflashing my pcm (during a safety recall service) from having the AC calid to the AD calid. The only guidance I got from Diablo was from the DCX Calibration pdf link on their website then it was a matter of plugging in the predator to the usb port, having to run the little cd that came with the U778 cable to get the drivers or whatever to link up, then the I was asked to update the calibration and I said yes and then I downloaded the 9r28crom. From there I was able to install the tunes again into my R/T and after I found out about the Throttle Boost option from another thread two days later I plugged the Predator back into my car and found it under Modify Tune and raised it 10%. I'm sort of suprised that Diablosport appears to have only half released the Throttle Boost feature if that's the case. I'm following the queries at the DS Dodge Gas forum this morning, waiting as you and others are to find out more info from Mikel on the subject. It looks like the 9r28l version is something DS sends out but is not listed and may fix the lack of throttle boost for those who aren't getting it with the regular 9r28crom for whatever reason.
thanks Pythonman...now I'm trying to find out exactly what is included with the "l" version. its tough to get answers over on that board for some reason :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From what I learned a while back from Vasiliv at Diablo the L version is for older predators .
thank you! do you know what is considered old? i ordered one last summer and hope mine works with it!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts