Dodge Challenger Forum banner

A bad morning for my Challenger today

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  JoshDomo 
#1 ·
Headed out today to get the new inspection sticker, and decided to swing by the local free vacuums as the carpets had been getting a little dirty. In the space of 20 minutes, I first managed to curb the right front wheel (thank goodness I bought a wheel coverage package when I bought the car last year), and then managed to rip off the spoiler bellypan, pulled loose the front fascia, bent both fender liners, chewed up the bottom edge of the splitter, and probably bent a couple of brackets behind the fascia when I caught the underside on a curb block that was sloped on the front (made no noise going onto it so I didn't realize it was there). And then, after all that, I went for the inspection and although it passed no problem, the mechanic also discovered that the CV joint on the drivers side of the diff had leaked everything out, or at least, there was a pile of what looked like grease on a bracket under it (maybe diff oil, who knows). The wheel coverage will cover the rim, insurance will cover the front bodywork damage, and the warranty will cover the axle, but still,...FML.

#2 ·
Wow you should stay home rest of the day!

-Dogg

Reactions: GoFastBrakeHard
#9 ·
Actually got ran over by a train.....but close enough.
And that would be from this guy:

#11 ·
It's 2020 :oops:

A Guy

Reactions: Beemerchef
#13 ·
I took my Challenger out for the second time this spring and forgot about the low front splitter. Tagged the concrete wheel chock in a parking lot, fortunately not very hard. It barely roughed up the front splitter, but looking under the car I'm missing two of the bolts (the front two of the four) that hold up the black plastic belly pan. The pan that you remove to change the oil, which I did in December up on my four post lift. I may not have tightened those bolts enough, fearing stripping them, or maybe the quick flex of the splitter assembly popped them out? Or a combination of both? Anyway, I printed a "Splitter Reminder" page and will hang it over the dang steering wheel every time I put the car away. All last year I remembered not to face in to parking spots with curbs!

#14 ·
I took my Challenger out for the second time this spring and forgot about the low front splitter. Tagged the concrete wheel chock in a parking lot, fortunately not very hard. It barely roughed up the front splitter, but looking under the car I'm missing two of the bolts (the front two of the four) that hold up the black plastic belly pan.
I'll bet you aren't missing them. You probably forced the belly pan up over them when you hit the concrete wheel chock. I'm thinking the bolts are still there, but under the belly pan now.

#19 ·
So, an update. The body shop was able to reshape the fender liners to the point that they looked like they had never been damaged. The pan was replaced, and they had to replace a few fasteners and two braces, but overall minimal damage and it looks great. Cost me a couple hundred including labor, but the end result was fantastic, like new.

The sad part is that due to changing vehicle requirements, I have traded the SRT in on a Rebel truck. I'll miss it, but hopefully it'll go to someone who can continue to enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.