Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 R/T 6 speed and the A/C clutch is always engaged causing the lines to freeze even with the heat on full blast. I have a scan tool and I can see the PCM sending the on/off signal. I am sure it's grounded somewhere but I'm not sure where. From the schematics I've seen the compressor does not have a relay nor could I find one in the relay box. Testing the wires there doesn't seem to be any grounded wires. Its as if the short is in the relay box. That doesn't seem right as it is a circuit board. does anybody has seen this issue and has an idea where to look or has a better schematic?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
That isn't necessarily a problem. Even with the heater on, the A/C compressor still comes as needed to dehumidify the cabin air. What exactly is the concern? Is the heat not very good?

·
Registered
575 Posts
He said it is always on. The control module controls the grounding function that turns the compressor to ON. If you want to tackle this yourself get a FSM and use the diagnostic section to track down the fault. Sounds daunting? Not really, just follow the directions laid out in the FSM.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There's also sensors in the HVAC plenum that tell the system what the output levels are within the system.
There's also cabin temp sensors (in lower part of rear view mirror) that command the system for cycling to maintain the desired temp settings.

If a temp sensor is out of range, it can trigger malfunctions.

I have this similar setup in my Mercedes - years back I was getting warmer than normal A/C function - one of the plenum sensors was out of spec - it was replaced and everything functioned as normal.

With the OPs post, if its running continuously to develop icing on the lines, that's not normal. A light coating can happen on humid cooler days, but ice build up is another matter.

Ages ago the company I worked at had an '80 Ford Fairmont and the A/C system was stuck on - many issues with that car and just lived with the problems that were ongoing and difficult to repair.

The A/C system would be iced up after longer drives. That was the least of the problems on that rolling pile of headaches. [4cyl, 4 speed stick]

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts