Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dual zones on my A/C. The Passenger side blows the right temperature as you change the temperature. The Driver side will only blow Cold air even if you change the temp to full heat. I think its probably one of the Actuators or doors that are stuck or the gear is broken. On this year model I think that there is 4 or 5 of them, and I'm guessing that the one that I need to change is on the drivers side under the dash.
Looking for some help on locating the right one, Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
I think your initial suspect is correct, it’s likely the main blend door on the driver’s side. I’ve not heard of anyone successfully repairing such breakages though, as I believe it requires quite a bit of labor to remove the dash (components) necessary to access the blend doors.

If you do the repair yourself, you’ll be the man of the year around here I’m sure for posting up a write-up or video detailing how you dis it.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
yep, sounds like what happened when my blend door went out on my 2015.
The entire dash and a good portion of the interior needs to come out to get to it. The only short cut I read about by some deperate idiot online, was to actually chop an access hole in the firewall and get to it from the front side (not suggesting that, its just an example of the lengths people have thought to go to, in order to avoid ripping out the dash, wheel, seats, trim, etc.!!!)
The part is like $35. the labor is like $1300 iirc... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
yep, sounds like what happened when my blend door went out on my 2015.
The entire dash and a good portion of the interior needs to come out to get to it. The only short cut I read about by some deperate idiot online, was to actually chop an access hole in the firewall and get to it from the front side (not suggesting that, its just an example of the lengths people have thought to go to, in order to avoid ripping out the dash, wheel, seats, trim, etc.!!!)
The part is like $35. the labor is like $1300 iirc... :unsure:
“Desperate idiot” seems extreme, what about “cash-strapped dullard?”

·
Registered
256 Posts
You dont have to pull the dash to do it. Two on the drivers side. One the heater core lines make it a pain in the a$$ but still do able. Three torx screws hold each in. Cant remember if its the one closest to the firewall or the one closest to the dash face. If its the door, then only option is to pull the dash. Still not hard. Dash can come out in about 45 min. Heres a pic showing the 2 actuators.
Screenshot_2020-01-29-19-37-09.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I had decided to take a wait and see approach and it paid off for now. Two days after I posted this question everything went back to normal. Both sides now work as they should. Did a lot of searching and got diagrams from the dealership with the idea of diving into another project. Always like the opportunity to figure something new out and to learn. Appreciate all the feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts