Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c is psychotic,it will blow cold some of the time,will not go into re-circulation mode,does not need freon and it is getting hot outside ,,,,this car has been babied maybe too much,,,60000 miles maybe the computer? any one else had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
your system has a few things that might be acting up:

*A/C controls themselves
*temperature blend actuator
*blend actuator / door

it would require troubleshooting to eliminate what is / isn't working correctly to track down what needs attention.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Actuators are a pretty common failure, they may set a B Code. I had one fail in my 13 R/T and that resulted in no heat

Do the diagnosis first, the actuators are pretty easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,153 Posts
My a/c is psychotic,it will blow cold some of the time,will not go into re-circulation mode,does not need freon and it is getting hot outside ,,,,this car has been babied maybe too much,,,60000 miles maybe the computer? any one else had this problem?
what about if you leave the a/c on vent mode (no recirculate), does it blow cold air as long as you leave it in that mode?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about if you leave the a/c on vent mode (no recirculate), does it blow cold air as long as you leave it in that mode?
no it acts the same in either,,,compressor is running like it should,,,,I am baffled..of course it doesn't seem to take much these days....
:frown:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem I have ever had with this thing is the damned computer,last time it was the windows rolling up and down by themselves,no one in the car,and it would run the battery down,that was a nightmare,but it is fixed......

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
no it acts the same in either,,,compressor is running like it should,,,,I am baffled..of course it doesn't seem to take much these days....
:frown:
is the compressor steadily running, or is it cycling on and then off after a minute or so?

if it's steadily running, my next suspect would be the blend door(s) actuator behind the dash...

if it is cycling, that's the problem...but why it's cycling becomes the new issue to solve, which could be because of any number of reasons - too much freon, too little freon, restriction in the system, etc. and so on.

Best to let a pro handle it then, they might be pricey, but they earn their money when it gets hot out!

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Does the car get driven regularly or does it sit in a garage most of the time? Too much sitting can be bad on sealed systems like the air conditioning system, things can start to seep and leak and once that starts, thing can get steadily worse despite attempts to reverse it.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
thanks I guess I knew that ,,,just needed to hear it from someone else....
I've paid shade-tree mechanics to fix a crap car's A/C before, and I've even done a little a/c work myself. There's no mystery in replacing a compressor or a condeser and refilling the system with freon. But that will guarantee the system will fail again when you shade-tree it like that, and sooner rather than later most likely....and possibly even catastrophically the next time.

But if we're talkiing your Challenger, there's no question it has to be done right, and done right the first time. I wish I had the smarts and the equipment to do that sort of thing, but I don't and not many do. The pro's do, and they know it, that's why they make us pay and we pay it. :6:

In this part of the world, when it gets to be this time of year, if I don't have an a/c in the car, I start to panic. Nuke love him some cold air, and if he's got to hock his wife's wedding ring to get the a/c in his car fixed, that's what he's gonna do! All heat and no a/c make Nuke a very angry giant!!

------------------------------------

Having said all that, there are a couple of actions you can take yourself to get an idea of what might be wrong (and thus how much a fix is going to be). You can buy yourself a set of manifold gauges and take the high and low side readings of the car when warmed up and a/c is on full-blast. Those values alone won't tell you what's wrong, but they will be useful in further diagnosing. If you have a tuner, you can pull those PSI values with it as well. I've had to resort to that before, so I know that's an option.

There is also the electrical approach to troubleshooting an issue with the a/c. Make sure no shorts, bad connections, malfunctioning equipment (blend doors!) are your culprit. Maybe the system is producing cold air but it's not making it to the cabin (or its being overwhelmed by hot air from the heater core) because of a malfunctioning part somewhere. This will take lots of time and patience obviously, but an option nonetheless.

Or bring it to me! I will promise to give it back in the same shape I got it but with a case of cold beer in the trunk! (it may not be a/c, but it is beer at least!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've paid shade-tree mechanics to fix a crap car's A/C before, and I've even done a little a/c work myself. There's no mystery in replacing a compressor or a condeser and refilling the system with freon. But that will guarantee the system will fail again when you shade-tree it like that, and sooner rather than later most likely....and possibly even catastrophically the next time.

But if we're talkiing your Challenger, there's no question it has to be done right, and done right the first time. I wish I had the smarts and the equipment to do that sort of thing, but I don't and not many do. The pro's do, and they know it, that's why they make us pay and we pay it. :6:

In this part of the world, when it gets to be this time of year, if I don't have an a/c in the car, I start to panic. Nuke love him some cold air, and if he's got to hock his wife's wedding ring to get the a/c in his car fixed, that's what he's gonna do! All heat and no a/c make Nuke a very angry giant!!

------------------------------------

Having said all that, there are a couple of actions you can take yourself to get an idea of what might be wrong (and thus how much a fix is going to be). You can buy yourself a set of manifold gauges and take the high and low side readings of the car when warmed up and a/c is on full-blast. Those values alone won't tell you what's wrong, but they will be useful in further diagnosing. If you have a tuner, you can pull those PSI values with it as well. I've had to resort to that before, so I know that's an option.

There is also the electrical approach to troubleshooting an issue with the a/c. Make sure no shorts, bad connections, malfunctioning equipment (blend doors!) are your culprit. Maybe the system is producing cold air but it's not making it to the cabin (or its being overwhelmed by hot air from the heater core) because of a malfunctioning part somewhere. This will take lots of time and patience obviously, but an option nonetheless.

Or bring it to me! I will promise to give it back in the same shape I got it but with a case of cold beer in the trunk! (it may not be a/c, but it is beer at least!)
no shade tree for me unless you mean sittin under it,I got a dodge guy who does work on the side,he has even taken my car to the dealership run diagnostics and I paid his price not the dealer price,he didn't charge for the computer work,just his labor and parts which was very reasonable,and the best part about him is he loves what he does,and my car:smile:I appreciate your feed back,thanks a bunch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts