Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 sxt with 7k miles and 5 months left on my 3/36k warranty. What temperature should the A/C blow at the coldest setting? Would a charge fall under the warranty? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have a 2015 sxt with 7k miles and 5 months left on my 3/36k warranty. What temperature should the A/C blow at the coldest setting? Would a charge fall under the warranty? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
The system should be checked to see if it has sufficient refrigerant and if the high pressure in the cold circuit as a function of ambient temperature is acceptable.

The Dodge tech probably has a chart that gives the high pressure in the cold circuit as a function of ambient temperature.

If the A/C system is found to be low on refrigerant the system should be evacuated of any refrigerant (and the amount removed noted) along with possibly some compressor oil. The system then should be kept at a very low pressure some time. This can range from maybe 30 minutes to an hour (my experience with other cars) to maybe longer. Each auto maker has its own time limit I suspect. (This removes any moisture that might have gotten in the system via a leak.) If a leak is indicated the leak (or leaks) need to be found and fixed, then the system charged with the proper amount of refrigerant and compressor oil removed replaced. I'm not the Dodge warranty authority, but I would think if the A/C has a leak or is otherwise under performing addressing this should be covered by the new car warranty. (My experience over the years is modern A/C systems are pretty robust. I can't recall any issues with previous cars and I clearly recall with my last 2 cars one went 16 years and the other car 9 years with *no* need to to do anything to the A/C system proper. All I did was change the cabin air filter every once in while. Both car A/C's worked as good at the end of my time with them as the A/C's worked when both were new.)

The Dodge techs probably have access to a chart that for a range of ambient temperatures what the central (dash) vent air temperature should be with the A/C set to "max" cool.

If you want maybe you can check this yourself. The graph below though may not apply to your car and its A/C system. However, I suspect all modern A/C systems perform about the same. I wouldn't sweat (no pun...) a small deviation but if you detect a big deviation this might be cause to have the system checked by a professional.

What this might involve is:

Close all doors and roll up all windows and close sun/moon roof.

Insert temperature probe into the center vent.

Measure ambient (outside) temperature.

Set A/C temperature to max cooling.

Switch cabin vent fan speed to high.

Start engine and operate A/C while engine idling.

At some point raise RPMs to say 2K.

The vent air temperature vs. ambient air temperature might look something like the attached graph.

About the graph: The vent temperature is the vertical axis. The ambient temperature is the horizontal axis. The two black lines indicate the acceptable vent temperature reading as a function of ambient temperature.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
there's cabin and plenum temperature sensors that also control functions of the A/C system

if those are out of range, you can end up with warmer temps that what the system should be running at.

there's a couple of items that have to be checked - what the pressures on low / high side are and what readings are coming from the temperature sensors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts