Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hit part of a laundry machine…or maybe a dryer on my way home from work last week. It was like a sheet-metal cornerpiece of debris, I guess something must have fallen off a truck. I was going about 70mph in fairly heavy traffic. The SUV in front of me hit it first and flattened it a bit which I think saved me quite a lot of damage. Nowhere to swerve without hitting another car or a concrete wall so I just white-knuckledover it.
Well it went under my grill and got hung on the skidplate Ithink. It was dragging but before I could merge over and stop on the shoulder it got caught under the front left wheel and ripped off along with several pieces of plastic. I saw black plastic fly out from under my car in the side mirror. The sound was gut wrenchingly terrible.:crying:
Got it home and cut off some pieces that were dragging and inspected the damage. It looked like it was mostly just plastic stuff that needed replacement. The ducts that channel air over the front brakes were gone.
I went in for a factory recall (passenger airbag) on Friday and had them inspect the area and give me a repair estimate expecting it to be a fairly cheap fix. WRONG! the technician said the A/C re-circulation door was damaged and no longer functioning. Said it would be about $1700 in parts and labor. ~10 hours labor he said. Sooooo now I’m filing an insurance claim and taking it for inspection at my insurance company’s approved agent.
I really don’t trust the dealership’s service department so I’m hoping a second opinion will tell me a different story….we shall see.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I guess I could be wrong with the new Challengers? Maybe? But, on every other car I've seen/worked on, the recirculating door in behind the dash, inside the car, and nowhere near the front, underside of the car. The only things up there are the condenser and compressor for the A/C system.
Definitely get another option. That doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
9,344 Posts
I'd ask the dealer to write up that estimate to make certain of what he said. Unless that piece of metal entered the cabin, he's on crack for stating that.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
I have taken these cars apart top and bottom old and new, I have never seen a "recirculation door" anywhere underneath the car. There is one behind the dash as everyone else pointed out. I need photos of this damage!!!!

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
Agreed with everyone else. The dealership is nuts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the second opinions, I'm going to get a different shop to look at it for sure. I've got plenty of time because all of the insurance adjusters in my area have gone to Florida or Texas. There's nobody available right now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here's a pic of what I lost. Area 1 was what got ripped off. Area 2 and 3 we're hanging down and flapping a lot so I removed them. The connection points we're torn so they had to get replaced anyways. There's a lot of plastic that connects to other plastic so everything kind of got ****ed up a little bit. I ended up cutting 6 plastic pop-rivets to get the torn pieces off, then I zip-tied a couple loose ends to prevent flapping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Here's a pic of what I lost. Area 1 was what got ripped off. Area 2 and 3 we're hanging down and flapping a lot so I removed them. The connection points we're torn so they had to get replaced anyways. There's a lot of plastic that connects to other plastic so everything kind of got ****ed up a little bit. I ended up cutting 6 plastic pop-rivets to get the torn pieces off, then I zip-tied a couple loose ends to prevent flapping.
That all looks cosmetic to me. You should be able to buy all the plastic pieces and rivets yourself. That $1,700 was padded quite a bit in my opinion. Check with SW Motors on this site for the parts.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Maybe a silly question.. But have you tried to turn the air on.
My thought exactly......

Like I've said before, Dealerships are so funny and have a great sense of humor ($1,700 and 10 hours for some plastic trim replacement). :laugh2: I bet the guy that quoted the OP that price kept a straight face too.... It's a gift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts