Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine saw snow for the first time this week, and it didn't like it one bit!!!! LOL
Not only was this our first real snow of the season, but it was (for us)big snow...... (6"-9"), and the car was completely un-drivable. The RT is my daily driver and I intend to drive it all winter, but now I am having second thoughts. My wife and I are lucky to have 3 vehicles thanks to her company car. I can drive her SUV when it snows, and she still has her company car. :)

As of 2hrs ago, I "beached" the RT outside on the 3rd car drive. ...and I mean it's really beached. (like a beached whale) Please note the snow plow in the background too!!! Hahahahahaha...how about that for good pic-taking timing??

Our other 2 vehicles will stay warm and cozy indoors at night while the RT sleeps outside for now. I know this car will handle just fine with a set of "Police-Steelies W/snow tires". With that said, I'd like to share a story about an idiot (me) who thought he could drive this car with the 20" stock rims w/summer tires after a snowstorm.:)

My first Challenger snow story:
I knew as soon as I left the driveway yesterday morning that I was in trouble. The damn RT had ZERO traction!!!! I tried to make it to work, but I ended up turning back for home anyway. To make a long story not so long, I couldn't even climb a modest uphill grade after stopping for a stoplight 15 miles from my home. Cresting this hill was an impossibility, and it wasn't a very steep grade. While blocking traffic, I somehow managed to get the car turned around on the slick street without hitting anybody and backtracked for home. It handled soooo terribly, I knew there was no possible way to keep driving this thing with these tires.

I couldn't even get the car home!!! HahaHa.....the road leading to my neighborhood is uphill just enough and when slick....the RT had no chance in hell climbing it!!! I left my beloved RT at a nearby gas station from yesterday morning until this afternoon!!!! .....the road was clear enough today that I could finally bring it home. Then I "BEACHED IT" in the driveway.....until further notice.
LOL

All in all...I think my escapade was hilarious. YES... I can look back at this and laugh. If I didn't have a "fallback" vehicle to drive, I'd be buying Police steelies and having them rushed to my house with snow tires because there is no damn way in hell this car is drivable in any kind of significant snow as it sits now.

Discuss.....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, I would be surprised if it was drivable, actually :)

I had similar experience onces (not with a chally though), after that winter tires are a must....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've heard other people talk about summer tires have 0 traction in snow. Something about the temperature and tack (or lack of) with the rubber in summer tires.

That said, taking a sports car out in 9" of snow, you're going to have serious problems regardless. Snow is going to pack up under the car and literally lift the wheels off the road. At that point, you're screewwwwd.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've heard other people talk about summer tires have 0 traction in snow. Something about the temperature and tack (or lack of) with the rubber in summer tires.

That said, taking a sports car out in 9" of snow, you're going to have serious problems regardless. Snow is going to pack up under the car and literally lift the wheels off the road. At that point, you're screewwwwd.

Tread design as well. Summer tires are designed tread pattern wise for dry pavement/rain. Usually they don't have enough biting edges for snow. Compound is the other problem, but I think that has more to do with "dry" winter roads, that with snow traction. Wide tires will also cause an issue on snow. Narrower is better.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tried to take the hard right-turn and plow my way in by myself, but got stuck with the ass end of the car dangerously close to the street. Close enough that maybe an out of control driver or snow-plow might hit it....My neighbor helped me get it all the way up to safety. LOL I removed traction control, he helped me back into the street....get the tires straight...traction control removed....hit the gas.........CHARGE!!!....and we got it well into the drive. LOL

We both laughed at the predicament.....but he really loved how that HEMI V8 sounded when I hit the gas. Hahah

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's fine with 18" snow tires.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I know I said "summer tires"....but I'm pretty sure these tires are technically considered all season tires. I'm just saying.....don't believe it for a second!!!
LOL

I was never in snow that deep on the roadways...the problem was slickness and no traction. My problem was not snow depth/car bottoming out...keeping weight off the wheels. If anything, the chally stance is pretty high.

·
337 Posts
It's fine with 18" snow tires.
I agree. I learned my lesson last year so I put Blizzak tires with 18" R/T rims on and it has made a world of difference. Maybe next year for you? Rims and tires ran me $1k. Here's a pic. I don't like the look near as much as my 20" heritage rims but that's the compromise.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were these RS-A tires or F1?
Sadly I don't know. It's an RT....I opted for the J-super trackpack or whatever?????...all I know is they are goodyear tires. I'd go out and look but it's parked outside in the snow and I don't want to put boots on to go out and look. LOL

I was told they were all-season tires when I bought the car.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
If you have a track pack they are F1s and they are 3 season tires. RS-A are all season tires but I don't know how they work on snow because the little we got the other day I didn't go out in. I HATE COLD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not even going to try mine in the snow. If someone slid into me, there'd be that whole jail/bail money thing after I had a good ole fashioned southern hissy fit on his butt.
:fight:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree. I learned my lesson last year so I put Blizzak tires with 18" R/T rims on and it has made a world of difference. Maybe next year for you? Rims and tires ran me $1k. Here's a pic. I don't like the look near as much as my 20" heritage rims but that's the compromise.
And one of the upsides to having a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires... when the RS-As wear out, the Heritage wheels can receive a fresh set of performance/summer tires. Best of both worlds and much better than a set of all-seasons on one set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If I remember correctly from my window sticker shopping, if you got the track pak, you got summer tires. The regular 20" tires are all season, and the 20" tires on the Classic are all season, unless you opt for the track pak there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
If I remember correctly from my window sticker shopping, if you got the track pak, you got summer tires. The regular 20" tires are all season, and the 20" tires on the Classic are all season, unless you opt for the track pak there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That's what I was told when I got mine. I ask for one with track pack and when they found this one they said if it had the track pack it would have F1 tires and that was about the only change. I found out later they didn't know what they were talking about that was the only thing but all the stuff I see says that track pack cars comes with F1s and they are not all season tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i use mine daily with the rsa's and i still get around even with the snow. i find it a lot better than the older rear wheel drive cars i grew up with

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, if this is a daily driver and will encounter snow, a winter set of wheels with Blizzaks (or other snow AND ice tires, not just snow) are a must. Mine drives like a 4x4 in the snow with the Blizzaks on, but with the all seasons I was lucky to get up my driveway.
I spent ~1100 or so for a set of stock 18" R/T rims and the tires, but it was WELL worth it. I can actually have quite a bit of controllable fun in the snow now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, if this is a daily driver and will encounter snow, a winter set of wheels with Blizzaks (or other snow AND ice tires, not just snow) are a must. Mine drives like a 4x4 in the snow with the Blizzaks on, but with the all seasons I was lucky to get up my driveway.
I spent ~1100 or so for a set of stock 18" R/T rims and the tires, but it was WELL worth it. I can actually have quite a bit of controllable fun in the snow now.
Let me just say that I have enjoyed everyone's comments. All I have to say is my RT will remain parked until I get me some of those Blizzard MOFO tires!!
LOL

I have my eye on the black cop-car steelies......... not sure if I'll buy some this year or not. My wife cracks me up because I was talking to her about it today and she was like..."It's already January....why not wait until next year because it's almost spring"..

With that said.....this was our first snow!!! Hahahaha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have a track pack they are F1s and they are 3 season tires. RS-A are all season tires but I don't know how they work on snow because the little we got the other day I didn't go out in. I HATE COLD.
I believe it...

Seriously...this car has ZERO traction in snow. It's quite sad if you intend to get from point A to B. I tried and failed.....

I know how to drive in snow, and it was all I could do to get the car home without wrecking it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts