Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read about it in April's Car & Driver, page 24 in Brock Yates' column (for those of you who don't know, Yates invented the Cannonball Run and raced his modded 1972 Challenger in it).

Yates believes that the concept Challenger is "a legitimate heir to the original..." but also that it's "hardly a compact pony care of yore" and that it will be too heavy at "roughly 700 pounds heavier than the original."

He is teaming with Chris Theodore to build a limited series roughly based on his Cannonball Challenger, "with the intent to create a true American grand-touring machine rather than another stop-light sprinter."

Carbon fiber hood; front fenders, and doors (target weight less than 3,000 pounds), aerodynamic body with high-speed stability; superb handling characteristics. The initial offering will have a supercharged 6.1 liter Hemi making 550 HP.

Something to keep an eye on...

·
Banned
91 Posts
I haven't gotten my copy yet, did the article mention price, numbers or any other specs on the car?
That sounds like an awesome car, I'd like to have it without the supercharger, at that weight it would fly anyway.

·
Registered
492 Posts
LawFive said:
Read about it in April's Car & Driver, page 24 in Brock Yates' column (for those of you who don't know, Yates invented the Cannonball Run and raced his modded 1972 Challenger in it).

Yates believes that the concept Challenger is "a legitimate heir to the original..." but also that it's "hardly a compact pony care of yore" and that it will be too heavy at "roughly 700 pounds heavier than the original."

He is teaming with Chris Theodore to build a limited series roughly based on his Cannonball Challenger, "with the intent to create a true American grand-touring machine rather than another stop-light sprinter."

Carbon fiber hood; front fenders, and doors (target weight less than 3,000 pounds), aerodynamic body with high-speed stability; superb handling characteristics. The initial offering will have a supercharged 6.1 liter Hemi making 550 HP.

Something to keep an eye on...
Ooh, can't wait to see that one...sounds just like the model that many of our forum members had been hoping for. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Carbon fiber hood; front fenders, and doors (target weight less than 3,000 pounds), aerodynamic body with high-speed stability; superb handling characteristics. The initial offering will have a supercharged 6.1 liter Hemi making 550 HP
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES Make that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
LawFive said:
I remember Yates' white 72, looked alot like the VP car, with big rallye lights and extra fuel cells.

Sorry if I am being obtuse here, but is Yates planning a limited series, based on a car which may or may not be produced, 2-3 years from now? Sounds a bit premature; or am i missing something?

·
Banned
91 Posts
I think that in the article Yates said that they would use old E bodies and go from there. Should be a great car, shame it will be probably $100k plus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
MikeF said:
I think that in the article Yates said that they would use old E bodies and go from there. Should be a great car, shame it will be probably $100k plus.
OIC; classic body based.

Alas for the late 70s when a nice 318 driver to start with was $1200 .... :rolleyes:

Big block or 340 4-speed might be another $500 or so ... :eek:

And Hemis, heck, they were still a whopping $5k,
about what they sold for brand spankin new .... :mad:

Crap. Ok, back to work on my time machine, now; shouldn't take much longer;
gigawatt milsurp radar genset; and i think i have the dual singularity/mini-black-holes thing going allright;
if i can just fine tune the displacement just a bit, so as not to appear in King Arthur's court, looking for a Hemi Challenger.... ;)

:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got Brock Yates Cannonball! book, I've read about half of it now. It is an awesome read. :D Yates is very opinionated about the "fallacies" of the traffic laws in America. And to be perfectly honest, from what I've read so far I couldn't agree with him more. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts