Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

How many of you have your challenger as your daily even in the winter? Do you have any tips on how to winter proof ? I also have a biiig question about tires, it’s 235/55 r19 and I’m looking at blizzak DMV2 but the women I spoke to at Canadian tire explained that the DMV2 doesn’t offer the correct load and speed rating, where as the blizzak website and other websites say they fit. Does anyone have any insight? Never owned a vehicle before this so I’m a little lost, I see people recommend blizzaks here all the time but I’m not sure what to do.. would love to hear from anyone who has more experience :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,360 Posts
Just put any snow tire on there. Do i drive mine in the winter, HELL no. Could I, yes...........ITS the other drivers our there I fear.

Winter tires are like a drag tire with tread, super soft compound perfect with cold weather.

Just buy the best U can afford, sipe or stud them. These cars have power, but do just fine in the winter months.......

Lucky for me, have 10+ cars to choose for winter fun.

The 2014 SRT 8 under 7k miles STILL

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
Hello!

How many of you have your challenger as your daily even in the winter? Do you have any tips on how to winter proof ? I also have a biiig question about tires, it’s 235/55 r19 and I’m looking at blizzak DMV2 but the women I spoke to at Canadian tire explained that the DMV2 doesn’t offer the correct load and speed rating, where as the blizzak website and other websites say they fit. Does anyone have any insight? Never owned a vehicle before this so I’m a little lost, I see people recommend blizzaks here all the time but I’m not sure what to do.. would love to hear from anyone who has more experience :)
Drove my Hellcat in winter but I have to admit CA winters were really no challenge (no pun...) for even the Hellcat.

So far with my new Scat Pack I have not yet driven it in any winter weather here and here is where there can be -- horrors! -- snow though probably not much of it.

And I don't plan on driving the Scat Pack in the worst weather. I have a 2nd vehicle to use when the roads are bad if I even need to venture out at all.

But i have driven a number of cars from Mustangs to Porsche Turbos in real winter weather on snow and a few tires ice with snow on it and while I never had real snow tires I would strongly urge you to get real snow tires (with the snowflake symbol on the side wall) that not only fit your car but have the right load rating. You probably won't find snow tires with a high enough speed rating for your car but you are not going to drive anywhere near the top speed your car is capable of on snow tires.

That is while you can limit the speed to which you subject the tires to you can't limit the weight/load and I would not risk running tires not rated for the load of the car.

Here in the US TireRack often provides winter snow tires with wheels as a ready to bolt on set. This is preferred because unmounting then mounting high performance tires is not recommended. Not sure if you can buy from TireRack up your way but it might have a Canadian counterpart.

Blizzaks if they fit of course and have acceptable load rating would be a good real snow tires. My 2nd hand info is a number of drivers use this snow tire and report good results.

Not sure you can stud these or other snow tires. Generally if one can legally use studded tires and of course needs them buying tires already studded is preferred. Now in Canada maybe tire studding services are more common. If so you need to speak to someone that does tire studding to find out which tires are best to get if they are to be studded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My R/T was my daily driver for a while including one Chicago winter which can be pretty cold/eventful. The car had 20" summer only tires which are like hockey pucks in sub 20 degree weather. I bought a set of spare 18x8 wheels and some 225/60R18 Michelin X-Ice Tires. I made it through winter without any issues. Good tires and throttle discipline are key for a RWD car in winter. After I was able to get another vehicle, I would use the winter tires to store the challenger in the garage and bring the summers in the house to keep them from freezing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the DM-V2s... on the $4k beater Ram I drive in the winter so I don't wreck and rot my Challenger.

But if you must, and assuming you're not trying to drive something with 6 piston Brembos through the winter, just get cheap smaller diameter wheels so you have a selection of properly weight rated snow tires. Go to tirerack.com, 18x8 Focal F55, then pick any number of the 21 available snow tires on the site.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hello!

I drive my Challenger Scat Pack in Saskatchewan winters. The car does awesome. The right tires are very important.
What type of Challenger do you have? I'm guessing a GT AWD?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a sxt awd, I’m really confused about the load rating and index and how that works. The Michelin x-ice are recommended and have an index of 105 and so do the blizzaks so I just feel like it’s a glitch in their system or something. I’m also probably an idiot and know nothing about tires but I just really want to be safe for the snow. Going down a tire size is a little out of budget right now as I’m looking at using the stock rims as winter rims and getting nicer ones for summer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!
I already put the order in for the blizzaks but I’m super confused and now really worried about the load rating, it’s an suv tire so I can’t see how it wouldn’t be suitable but I don’t really understand. I considered studded tires but as I’m in the city it’s more snow and slush as opposed to real ice

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What is the speed rating and load rating of the Blizzaks you ordered? The DM-V2 is intended more towards trucks and SUVs, so the load rating really shouldn't be an issue.

How many km on your car?

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,230 Posts
Ugh also do we need an alignment since it’s brand new ? Picked her up early November but I’m not sure if tire installation effects alignment. Sorry ;-;
Simply removing the tires / wheels will not affect the alignment in any way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the speed rating and load rating of the Blizzaks you ordered? The DM-V2 is intended more towards trucks and SUVs, so the load rating really shouldn't be an issue.

How many km on your car?
It has a rating of load of 105 and speed is rated t, Blizzak dmv 2. Car has just under 1000 kilometres :)

I didn’t think it would, even if they did the tires /wrong/ it wouldn’t mess it up the alignment? I agreed to pay for the alignment as my contribution/gift but it would be much better for the money to just go into his pocket if it’s not needed

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It has a rating of load of 105 and speed is rated t, Blizzak dmv 2. Car has just under 1000 kilometres :)

I didn’t think it would, even if they did the tires /wrong/ it wouldn’t mess it up the alignment? I agreed to pay for the alignment as my contribution/gift but it would be much better for the money to just go into his pocket if it’s not needed
Those tires will do fine for winter, and you don't need an alignment.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
I used 225/60-18 Winterforce tires on my 2009 Challenger for quite a few years. I had them studded. I certainly didn't worry about speed rating since I never went fast with the studded tires.
These tires were not that expensive and I could drive in any snow with that setup.

Reactions: SmakAttak

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sometimes the experts don't know WTF they're talking about. DM-V2s are great winter tires on a Challenger. One thing you'll want to do is get some 1-piece lug nuts. The OEM lugs don't like salt. They'll swell up and you'll have a hell of a time getting a wrench on them come spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh okay I will look into that, we will likely have a professional put them on again in the spring as we don’t really have the space or equipment to do it (I also lack the knowledge haha). Right now I think the locking nuts are on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.