Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We left the Oregon coast driving threw some heavy snow going over the coastal range then hit more snow our last hour driving to Leavenworth WA. The Chalet we rented has a pretty steep driveway that we were able to drive up without and issue. It snowed all night so the morning was quite the view. I had no room to turn around to go back down the hill and the owner said he would plow the driveway but needed me to move our car. With at least 18" of snow on the ground I was able to move my GT over to the side without any issues.

The driveway was very slippery to walk down but I backed down it in the GT without any issue. Drove around all day without any issues. Day 2 it all turned to slush up to 18" or so and we managed just fine. Even went up the slushy hilly road we have had to take to get to the Chalet. I carry tire socks just in case but didn't use them. Traction devices are required to be carried by law where I live.

I have around 3K miles of snowy/icey driving since installing my 275/40/20 DWS06 All Seasons tires and they have been awesome.

This was I view when we woke up.
Chalet, Leavenworth Washington 01272018

2017 Challenger GT in snow (1)

2017 Challenger GT in snow (2)

GT in Snow 1

Road up to Chalet 01272018

2017 GT Leavenworth 012718

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I know that the GT with AWD should perform as well as any other AWD vehicle (sans the ground clearance), and even though the concept and functionality is cool........that photo of your Challenger in the snow......just looks wrong......

It's not as bad putting racing stripes on a Chrysler 300 and calling it a muscle car!

That being said, if I was only able to have one vehicle, the GT would be it. Now if I could figure out a way to get a load of firewood in the back of the GT, I'd trade in the Rebel.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know that the GT with AWD should perform as well as any other AWD vehicle (sans the ground clearance), and even though the concept and functionality is cool........that photo of your Challenger in the snow......just looks wrong.......
That's part of what makes it so awesome. It's funny to see all the strange looks we get. When the owner of the Chalet saw the Challenger he was like " Oh no, a muscle car?".

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
That's part of what makes it so awesome. It's funny to see all the strange looks I we get. When the owner of the Chalet saw the Challenger he was like " Oh no, a muscle car?".
I'll be you get noticed since everyone in the PNW thinks its either SUV, 4WD pickups or Subarus - which often end up being the first ones in the ditch or trees since they believe in defying the laws of physics - with the eventual outcome if they push the limits.

I'm glad you get to enjoy your GT - and the good part is not much salt used, so its just the grime from driving in the snow.

Anyone noticed today how most of the newer CUVs just have this generic blob shape to them?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having AWD/4WD is not a replacement for smart winter driving. I pulled so many people (many 4WD) out of ditches driving over the coastal range that I keep a bag in my Expedition all the items needed. Now that I have the GT the Expedition doesn't get driven much.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,275 Posts
Nice write up, glad to here the GT is getting the job done on the snowy roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sweet pics OP, I'm surprised you get such good traction with the all seasons, those DWS's come highly recommended!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just Curious why you replaced the OEM Tires with all seasons instead of snows for the winter. Were the OEM's all ready worn?
My OEM tires new were down to 6/32 tread after 27K miles and would hydroplane easily with all the rain we get here in the Northwest. The Conti DWS06 are amazing tires so I put them on all my cars. My 2013 Mustang GT & my 2014 SS Sedan handled the snow with easy with DWS06 all season tires. I keep tire socks on board just in case but have never needed them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts