Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader of this site and finally decided to join as I will soon be joining that Challenger family. After much back and forth, I decided to buy a 2011 Challenger instead of a 2011 Camaro. I've done my homework on the car and have spoken with several dealers and did the test drives and started collecting prices. Though the Dodge site and dealerships have been helpful with some questions, they have not been able to give me clear answers on a few that remain, and I hope that the many Challenger fanatics on this site could help me out.

As this will be a daily driver to work, I decided on buying a 2011 V6 Challenger Rallye in Redline 3 paint with all of the goodies so here are my questions:

1) I do not want the Super Sport Group package (SST) as I hear that it's not a smart move when you're going to be driving in snow for a good chunk of the year (I live in the Midwest). I see that it comes with the 20"x8" Aluminum Chrome-Clad wheels, which I want, but can you get these wheels without getting the SST suspension package as well???
-I've asked the dealers this and they said that they think I can but then the Dodge site doesn't let you....so who's correct? I am not even close to knowing stuff about cars, but I figure that it's probably a no as I imagine that the 20" wheels need different things done to the suspension/axles...

2) I have not been able to see the Rallye package wheels(18" Aluminum Painted/Polished) at any of the dealerships on an actual car, only in pictures. Does anyone on the site have them and would be willing to post a picture of them on their car? I would greatly appreciate it and want to get a feel of how they would go with my Redline 3 paint color.

I really appreciate any responses to these questions. There are a ton of sweet rides on this site and I hope I can get mine started off in the right direction.

-Frozen

·
Registered
105 Posts
Search this forum for a thread called "Official 2011 Information Thread" or something like that. The first post has pictures of all the wheels available.

You may find some other answers in that post as well. BTW, I have the Super Track Pack on a 2011 Redline R/T (my daily driver) and I really appreciate the stiffer suspension. Definitely drive them both if you haven't yet and then decide.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I believe the SST pkg does come with summer (3 season) tires; you don't want them. Not only will they not go in snow, they get slippery when it gets cold. Something with the rubber formulation. I'm guessing since you're opting for the V6 you're not going to be racing it anyhow.

I personally would rather have painted 18" wheels than the chrome clad 20". Just my preference. I'm not sure the chrome is on plastic or metal. I want to say plastic since I've seen the same type wheel on some Hemi Trucks, and the cladding was definitely plastic. Don't want to step on any toes here, but I find that an incredibly cheap offering by Chrysler on a car of this price.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You might also want to consider a 2010. You can probably find a torred car with the rallye package for under $20,000 if you don't care about the 50hp, steering wheel change, etc. Imo the redline pearl isn't really that much better than torred and definitely not worth the extra $700 paint cost.

·
Super Moderator
15,572 Posts
As this will be a daily driver to work, I decided on buying a 2011 V6 Challenger Rallye in Redline 3 paint with all of the goodies so here are my questions:

1) I do not want the Super Sport Group package (SST) as I hear that it's not a smart move when you're going to be driving in snow for a good chunk of the year (I live in the Midwest). I see that it comes with the 20"x8" Aluminum Chrome-Clad wheels, which I want, but can you get these wheels without getting the SST suspension package as well???
I have not been able to see the Rallye package wheels(18" Aluminum Painted/Polished) at any of the dealerships on an actual car, only in pictures. Does anyone on the site have them and would be willing to post a picture of them on their car? I would greatly appreciate it and want to get a feel of how they would go with my Redline 3 paint color.

I really appreciate any responses to these questions. There are a ton of sweet rides on this site and I hope I can get mine started off in the right direction.

-Frozen
Here's an image of the 18" Rallye wheel for the SE. This was the Rallye package wheel that came along for the '10 SE models.

The 18" and 20" wheels can interchange easily as the brake hardware doesn't have the issues like the SRT / Brembo setup which will only accomodate the 20" SRT wheel with its offset to clear the calipers.

The 20" wheel option likely gets firmer rate shocks/springs/sway bars that are the "standard" R/T spec - the SE's for '09-'10 had softer suspension specs than the R/T models.

Attachments

·
Banned
557 Posts
I also researched both cars before deciding on my 2010 RT. I don't think the suspension is the problem. It's the tires. On both cars, when you go up to the 20" wheel packages, the tires have a different rubber compound (softer for better grip) and are only "summer rated tires".

The good news is buying a good set of all-season tires to slap on the 20" wheels should resolve the "issue". The bad part (and thing I had a problem with) is a set of 20" tires are expensive, especially after buying a new car.

Another issue I had, which may or may not affect you, is the 20" wheels are "chrome clad" which basically means they have chrome dipped plastic on the outside. Don't believe me? Go knock on them. And then knock on a set of SRT wheels or normal RT/SE wheels. You will hear the difference and can feel it too.

For both these reasons, but moreso the latter, I decided I was NOT going to pony up extra $$$ for the 20" wheels. As luck would have it, the car I decided on buying had the 19" aluminum RT wheels with all-season rubber. At the time I didn't really know what I'd find as I was buying from a local dealer, but they were shipping in from out-of-state (left over 2010, 6-speed, etc that was hard to find around here).

I can say I'm still not totally satisfied with the wheels I have. I want chrome. But I don't know what exactly. I like factory wheels, and have considered some SRT wheels but who knows. For now I am enjoying my ride.

One thing I will say, even with all season rubber, the ride in the snow is not something I enjoy in this car. It's capable if you take it slow & easy. But if you have something else to drive, I'd recommend that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insight guys, it helped clear up the couple of questions that I had and posting a few pictures of the different wheels, especially that ones Justinec101 was able to find. Therallye wheels on a redline 3 was very sharp looking and I've seen that orange one before with those wheels but thought they were different that the 18" rallye ones I'm looking at.

In the end now, I think I'm going to just stick with everything I have selected but instead of those fake chrome 20s, I'm gonna roll with the 18" aluminum painted-polished rallye package wheels.

Thanks again and I will certainly keep on checking this site for future mods and such, there are a ton of cool ideas and sweet looking cars on here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A few things about the chrome clad. First the CC is NOT CHEAP! They are unaffected by break dust. They will not peel. They clean to look like new every time. There is no clear coat to discolor over time. The chrome glading is bonded to the wheel itself. One other thing....The chrome clading when clean is always bright and does not need any more maintance than a hose, sponge a little soap. If they were available as an option on the SRT GWE I've ordered I would not have hesitated to order them!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts