Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I outlined my questions in my introduction thread, but I think this is the right place for it. Thanks for any info, and for taking the time to share your own experiences.

1. Reliability? My primary concern is reliability. I'm not interested in the V6, so between the 5.7 and 6.2 HEMIs, which, in your opinion, would be the most reliable assuming maintenance is performed regularly?
  2. Super Trak Pak? I've heard the handling of the Challenger in its stock form leaves a little to be desired. Many have recommended the Super Trak Pak to me. I'm open to this, but in your opinion, is it suitable for touring?
  3. Inclement weather? I'm not expecting this thing to go everywhere my Rover would go, but what has your personal experience been driving the Challenger in inclement weather? Snow, rain, ice etc?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hi guys, I outlined my questions in my introduction thread, but I think this is the right place for it. Thanks for any info, and for taking the time to share your own experiences.

1. Reliability? My primary concern is reliability. I'm not interested in the V6, so between the 5.7 and 6.2 HEMIs, which, in your opinion, would be the most reliable assuming maintenance is performed regularly?
  2. Super Trak Pak? I've heard the handling of the Challenger in its stock form leaves a little to be desired. Many have recommended the Super Trak Pak to me. I'm open to this, but in your opinion, is it suitable for touring?
  3. Inclement weather? I'm not expecting this thing to go everywhere my Rover would go, but what has your personal experience been driving the Challenger in inclement weather? Snow, rain, ice etc?
1) No matter the engine, keep up with normal maintenance and it will run fine for quite a long time. I've had mine (6.1 SRT) since 2010, almost 60k miles and no problems whatsoever. My car was in the shop quite a bit for power steering issues but that was due to the body shop using some non-OEM parts.

2) I have an SRT so I can't speak to that specific package but I would highly recommend it. Anything to improve the handling will only make it better. I'm riding on coilovers with strut tower brace and the ride is really not any harsher than the stock SRT suspension.

3) As with ANY car, it comes down to tires. If you want to drive it all year long, a good pair of all seasons will get you around just fine. If you think you'll be in heavy snow, then a separate set of wheels with winter tires is ideal. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on mine, and they do great in dry, wet and snow. Drove it all last winter (2nd most snowfall in Cincinnati history) and even being lowered, it was just fine, never got stuck once. In fact, as long as you know what you're doing, you can have quite a lot of fun in the snow with all of the driver aids turned off. :D

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
I would agree with the poster above on all points.

The three different engines they have in these cars are proven and if you take care of them, for the most part they will last. There is a timing chain issue on 09-12s on the 5.7 but there is a recall out on them and they are being repaired.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
I have the 5.7L in my 13 R/T and could'nt be happier. SRT would get me into trouble!!! I do not have the Super Trak Pak so i have no comment, winter driving I live in Oklahoma but we did get snow/ice this past winter and was scared to take her out but it was fine. Grew up in Michigan so it all came back to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking at the R/T, either 'Plus' or 'Classic', unless I get busy and decide to spring for the SRT!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well the 5.7 is in everything Dodge makes! I have two now (another one in my Durango R/T) and my dad has one in his Grand Cherokee... not one problem.

If you are going to do any suspension upgrades (springs, coilovers, strut towers, etc) then the STP would be a waste of money IMO. If you gonna keep it stock, then go for it.

I live in SoCal... hard to comment on driving in the weather! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the 5.7 is in everything Dodge makes! I have two now (another one in my Durango R/T) and my dad has one in his Grand Cherokee... not one problem.

If you are going to do any suspension upgrades (springs, coilovers, strut towers, etc) then the STP would be a waste of money IMO. If you gonna keep it stock, then go for it.

I live in SoCal... hard to comment on driving in the weather! ;)
LOL good to hear no problems. I just moved from SoCal to Northern Colorado... so a little concerned about winter driving, but I figure I'll just take the old hunk-o-junk Range Rover if it's that bad.

Although I always do all my own car work, I don't want to have to do anything on my next car... I want it to be 'done' from the factory like my old S4 was. STP it is then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had my 2010 SE with the 3.5L V6 for almost 4 years and 62K miles. The only problem I had with it was the center console latch broke. I recently traded it in on a R/T Classic with super track pack with an A/T. Mine has the sport mode button so it can be left off for a smoother ride (although not nearly as smooth as my SE was). Last years Chicago winter totaly sucked in my Challey. It wasn't so much that it wouldn't go or got stuck, it was the poor stopping. I've been driving one form of an LX body car for almost 10 years. This year I am going to buy a set of winter tire/wheels.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
The car is built very well and rides great. They are reliable. The only trouble you'd possibly have is trying to keep traction in snow with a hellcat. If I had the choice I'd take the track pack option.
I've always preferred to have a manual trans in the snow.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have an RT with super track pack so I can answer a few questions
1. Can't speak to reliability as I have a '14 I bought in the summer but I've heard good things about the engine. It's been around for quite a while so the kinks have been worked out and I've heard it's reliable as long as you take care of it like any other engine.
2. From a touring perspective, the STP does not make the suspension as hard as a rock. It does firm up the ride but I've never noticed anything uncomfortable at all. You'll feel the road more, but that's the point. The STP also comes with heavy duty breaks, which I found useful last night - I almost was run over by a semi on the highway last night and the brakes saved my skin.
3. I haven't driven it in incliment weather yet but I will be this winter. One word of warning, and I didn't figure this out until after I bought the car, is that the STP option will say "Performance" tires on the sticker. These are summer tires and from what I heard they are not swift in cold weather, let alone snow. After a few miles down the road I have heard they get better after they warm up. In the snow, I'm not sure how tough it will be. I've driven a RWD car since 2006 and am pretty used to what to do/not do so I hope it's managable. I'm lucky enough that it doesn't snow constantly here and the city is pretty good at getting the roads back to normal in about at day, or few hours sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Brent made a very good point. If you opt for the STP option, dedicated winter tires are a must. Very spooky drive in the cold until the tires heat up. Our R/T has STP, and as stated earlier the ride is not too rough. But grips nicely, and doesn't roll, like the our 09 did. Your best bet is to try and find a dealer that has one of each in stock, and test drive both, as everyone's tastes are different. I wouldn't think about buying another Challenger without STP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - exactly the feedback I was looking for, and a great tip about the tires.

Out here everyone says Oh it only snows a few days a year, don't worry about it. We had snow on the ground for two months solid this year!

While I'm no stranger to snow driving, having lived in Europe for years, I haven't had a rwd car for a very long time, let alone 2wd. I'll probably end up just garaging it for the winter.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
. . . I haven't driven it in inclement weather yet, but I will be this winter. One word of warning, and I didn't figure this out until after I bought the car, is that the STP option will say "Performance" tires on the sticker. These are summer tires and from what I heard they are not swift in cold weather, let alone snow. After a few miles down the road I have heard they get better after they warm up. In the snow, I'm not sure how tough it will be. I've driven a RWD car since 2006 and am pretty used to what to do/not do so I hope it's manageable. I'm lucky enough that it doesn't snow constantly here and the city is pretty good at getting the roads back to normal in about at day, or few hours sometimes.
If you have the Goodyear F1 tires, don't even attempt to use them in even light snow. They're not meant for winter driving. Get yourself some purpose use snow tires and you'll have no trouble whatsoever. I use the Firestone Winterforce 225/60-18 tires, but there are others that are good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have the Goodyear F1 tires, don't even attempt to use them in even light snow. They're not meant for winter driving. Get yourself some purpose use snow tires and you'll have no trouble whatsoever. I use the Firestone Winterforce 225/60-18 tires, but there are others that are good.

Thanks for the tip. I might just do an immediate swap to some all-seasons when I buy the car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking at the R/T, either 'Plus' or 'Classic', unless I get busy and decide to spring for the SRT!
I bougt the RT Plus with the Super Trak Pak and i live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We get alot of snow here from November to March.
Everything i read about the reliablity is spot on. I did alot of research on my car before buying.
I got the STP, as i know anything extra is always better and i am hoping that the STP, will help me get thru the winters here. I was planning on buying a set of heavy duty snow tire, just for that season.
I hope this also helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Out of my albeit limited understanding of physics, I would expect suspension to play at least a minor role in road grip in the winter, with less travel / more stiffness adversely affecting grip in inclement weather. That's part of the reason I'm asking about the STP.

So it's good to hear you seem to be making it through far harsher winters than I'll be getting down here!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.