Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to do a cam only in my srt challenger. what is a good cam for a 6 speed.. im lookinf for something that opens the car up on full throttle, but doesnt take away the drivability. so im guessing some sort of mild cam?

also do i have to change out my valve spring ect ect, or can i just swap in a new cam and be ready for a tune?

lastly what am i looking at for parts and labor for the complete cam only job??

thanks in advance guys

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
the srtmax by inertia motorsport is a sick cam and will wake your car up and has an amazing idle lope. if the cam you choose to go with isn't to aggressive i'd say no to the springs. i changed push rods, springs and retainers in mine, do to the blower and custom ground blower cam. i think you should be able to just pull yours and install the new one, no problem. i would take it in for a tune though, to help wake it up once you've cammed it and they'll probably need to adjust your air/fuel ratios a bit for the cam.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much am i looking at for a complete cam install.. how much hp gain to the wheels ?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
You'll need, 2 intake manifold gaskets, 2 head gaskets (make sure you install with the tag saying "UP" (I believe it should be on the lower right corner of the gasket) double check it says up because when you put them on either way it looks identical except one coolant hole doesn't line up and when you start filling the car with coolant it'll pour out all over the ground before you finished pouring the first jug, and new head bolts because they are torqued to yield. when removing the timing chain cover on the front of the engine, the gasket is a large rubber o-ring, so just be careful and you won't have to replace that one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll need, 2 intake manifold gaskets, 2 head gaskets (make sure you install with the tag saying "UP" (I believe it should be on the lower right corner of the gasket) double check it says up because when you put them on either way it looks identical except one coolant hole doesn't line up and when you start filling the car with coolant it'll pour out all over the ground before you finished pouring the first jug, and new head bolts because they are torqued to yield. when removing the timing chain cover on the front of the engine, the gasket is a large rubber o-ring, so just be careful and you won't have to replace that one.

lol no way brotha.. im gonna have to take it to a shop or find some one local who can do it... my car would never run again if i tried my hand at it

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
how much am i looking at for a complete cam install.. how much hp gain to the wheels ?
I don't how know how much it would cost but it is a job you could do on your own with the service cd. just put every bolt in bag and label them (ie: intake manifold bolts, header bolts..ect). it's only nuts and bolts, that's it. seriously, you could do this in one day, by yourself. So the cost would be $450 (the cost of your new cam). Plus your gaskets and head bolts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i live in an apt.. i have no where to do it, nor do i have any tools, nor do i have any experience with hemi motors lol... thats a bad combo

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Fair enough, but if you have a buddy with a garage and some tools, you and him could do it. Its truly, honestly not a hard job. The front clip comes off the car with only a couple screws and plastic push tabs. Unhook the fog lights, and remove the clip, now you have tons of rooms to start disassembling your engine for its new HEART transplant.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough, but if you have a buddy with a garage and some tools, you and him could do it. Its truly, honestly not a hard job. The front clip comes off the car with only a couple screws and plastic push tabs. Unhook the fog lights, and remove the clip, now you have tons of rooms to start disassembling your engine for its new HEART transplant.

i think if i really really put my brain into it we could probly do it, as we use to wrench on my ls1 camaro, but seeing as how this car cost me over 40k and its my dd, i need it back asap and i dont want to ruin a friendship if something goes wrong or breaks.. lol i am very good about blaming others for everything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts